"First column, fourth row, Alex."

Joe Hass

Mar 4, 2015, 11:08:50 AM3/4/15
to TV Or Not TV
Someone ran a data analysis of where the folks on Jeopardy have historically placed Daily Doubles.

Paul Murray

Mar 7, 2015, 10:02:48 AM3/7/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I wish they would distribute them more evenly (more in the top two rows) to discourage players from hunting for them. I understand that it's a good strategy according to game theory, but it makes watching less enjoyable for me.

Tom Wolper

Mar 7, 2015, 10:04:26 PM3/7/15
to TV or not TV
On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Paul Murray <pmur...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
I wish they would distribute them more evenly (more in the top two rows) to discourage players from hunting for them. I understand that it's a good strategy according to game theory, but it makes watching less enjoyable for me.

While Arthur Chu wasn't the first to jump around the board, in an interview he said that jumping from category to category gave him a slight advantage as he would know the category of the next clue a split second before his competitors.

I also dislike jumping around the board, especially when some categories don't have straight forward clues and it can be tough to remember what the response should be.

Brad Beam

Mar 8, 2015, 7:18:00 PM3/8/15
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

From: tvor...@googlegroups.com [mailto:tvor...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Paul Murray

>I wish they would distribute them more evenly (more in the top two rows) to discourage players from hunting for them. I understand that it's a good strategy according to game theory, but it makes watching less enjoyable for me.

I would suggest that there would be little drama in putting them there, since those clues are questioned correctly nearly* 100% of the time. Also, given that high correct-response rate up top, the accountants would possibly frown upon that positioning – in the Double Jeopardy! round especially.

*I don’t know how “nearly”, but logic would suggest that the percentage would be in the 80s or 90s.

_  _

|_>|_>  Brad Beam- Belle WV

|_>|_>  http://www.facebook.com/74bmw

Tom Wolper

Mar 8, 2015, 9:16:56 PM3/8/15
to TV or not TV
Although putting the daily doubles that high on the board means it's more likely that they'll be found before the contestants have amassed a lot of money.