perhaps I'm the last to know this

Jon Delfin

Jul 30, 2014, 2:28:44 PM7/30/14
to tvornottv
Went to Tuesday's Colbert Report taping and learned the answer to a question I'd been wondering about: Does the show always start with the jokey headlines even if those are cut from the broadcast, and the show opens with the eagle? Yup. We heard what they call the "table of contents," but the interview and music segments went so long, the bit was dropped. As was "Act 2," a short desk piece that may have been designed to be expendable.

If there's a repository for "extended" versions of the show, I haven't been able to find it.

Eagle-eyed viewers might spot an older fellow wearing a red shirt over a "no smoking" logo T-shirt to the right of center of the screen when the audience was dancing on West 54th Street.

jd

David Bruggeman

Jul 30, 2014, 2:45:15 PM7/30/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I'm not surprised by this, but I did not know it.  In my head I assumed they were cut post-rehearsal and pre-taping.

Any 'extended' stuff I've seen from TDS or TCR has been in segment form.  An exception would be for some episodes of TDS I watched on the Comedy Central website.  If there's an extended interview, sometimes its integrated into the full episode on the CC website.  Don't know if that's still the case.

TCR web exclusives are usually musical performances, though if you search the archive, you might find extra footage from Better Know a District segments.

David

Since you've been there (and answered one of my questions about the show) here's another one
I have. Prior to the taping is the audience prompted to do the "Stephen, Stephen, Stephen...." chant
when the show starts or are they just keeping with tradition?

Went to Tuesday's Colbert Report taping and learned the answer to a question I'd been wondering about: Does the show always start with the jokey headlines even if those are cut from the broadcast, and the show opens with the eagle? Yup. We heard what they call the "table of contents," but the interview and music segments went so long, the bit was dropped. As was "Act 2," a short desk piece that may have been designed to be expendable.

If there's a repository for "extended" versions of the show, I haven't been able to find it.

Eagle-eyed viewers might spot an older fellow wearing a red shirt over a "no smoking" logo T-shirt to the right of center of the screen when the audience was dancing on West 54th Street.

jd

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TVorNotTV" group.

Jon Delfin

Jul 30, 2014, 8:33:38 PM7/30/14
to tvornottv
We were encouraged (demanded) to stand and cheer whenever the stage manager signaled (basically, top of show and coming back from every ad break), but the "Stephen, Stephen" chants occur naturally.