Please support uploading arbitrary media files for insertion in posts

Daniel Jalkut

Jul 13, 2011, 11:25:34 AM7/13/11
to tumbl...@googlegroups.com
Hi - I appreciate the response from the private API email address. I'm adding a redundant copy of the request here for the record in case other folks want to chime in with their interest or disinterest in the feature.

It would be great if Tumblr's API supported the ability to upload an arbitrary media files (images, video, audio) for insertion inline in a non-media post.

For example, the web interface to Tumblr supports an "+ Add Image" link that lets users upload an image and insert it directly into a text post. This use case is not currently possible to simulate in a 3rd party client, because there is no suitable API call to "uploadImage" or equivalent.

This represents a major point of confusion for my customers who are used to writing text posts with embedded images.

Daniel

@giromide

Jul 18, 2011, 10:06:13 AM7/18/11
to tumbl...@googlegroups.com
I second this.

Anton Litvinenko

May 22, 2012, 3:24:38 PM5/22/12
to tumbl...@googlegroups.com
Any official response to this request?

It just makes no sense - you can upload pictures with photo post, but no way to attach picture to a normal text post.
Something like POST request with image url or image encoded as data and response with a source URL to use in img HTML tag would work well for this.

Anton

John Bunting

May 22, 2012, 3:48:35 PM5/22/12
to tumbl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback! This isn't currently something on our roadmap, but we'll definitely put in some consideration.

--
John Bunting

Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability
   --Edsger W. Dijkstra

Daniel Jalkut

May 22, 2012, 4:19:20 PM5/22/12
to tumbl...@googlegroups.com
Can you comment on whether this feature is primarily being blocked by policy or technical obstacles?

Would Tumblr object if we, as 3rd party developers, take the route of simulating a HTTP form submission along the lines of how the web interface allows uploading of media files, so as to improve the user experience for our mutual customers?

Daniel

Anton Litvinenko

May 25, 2012, 11:22:45 AM5/25/12
to tumbl...@googlegroups.com
Daniel, have you already tried doing that?
I tried couple of approaches with Selenium, but wasn't successful.

How about talking about this in private?

Anton