TSAS Notes, Wednesday 8/26

Liesa Smith

Aug 26, 2015, 10:21:43 AM8/26/15
to TSAS Notes
BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT:
Parents and guardians are invited to join us tomorrow, Thursday, August 27th from 6:00 - 7:30 for a great opportunity to meet your student's teachers and learn about the classes they are taking this session. Students will be filling out a schedule that will be waiting for parents in the student's 1st hour class.  By following the schedule, parents can visit each class in sequence beginning at 6:00 pm.

Back to School Dance (this Friday, 8/28) Parent Volunteers Needed:
The PTSO needs chaperons, food donations, etc to make the annual Back-to-School Dance a success. Parents can help by visiting http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080549abab2da64-tsas2 and signing up to help.

Carpools Needed:
If you are having challenges with transportation or you can help provide a carpool ride to or from TSAS, we can help arrange carpools.  Please email Liesa at lsm...@tsas.org

PLEASE HELP! Carpool Needs:
(1) Ride Needed: After school only to Riverside area
(2) Ride Needed: After school only to Brookside/Mapleridge area
(3) Ride Needed (can drive either AM or PM if you can do the other) 51st and Sheridan area

PTSO Sponsored PAPER DRIVE:
It's Back to School Time!  Please help support TSAS by donating copy paper and tissue paperYou may drop off your paper donation at the front office. Thanks for your support!

Great Things Happen at TSAS through the PTSO!
Remember to "like" our PTSO page on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Substitute Teacher Needed at TSAS:
If you or someone you know is interested in working as a substitute teacher at TSAS, please email Libby Nash at ln...@tsas.org for more information.

Student Announcements --

Spring Break Trip:
Anyone interested in traveling to Italy/Greece this Spring Break, we will have our finally recruitment meeting in room # 8 tomorrow evening, August 27th, at 5:00

Back to School Dance:
The TSAS Back-to-School Dance is this Friday, August 28th from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm in the TSAS gym.  Entry is $5 at the door.  There will be lots of fun, food and friends at our first dance of the year sponsored by the PTSO. This event is for TSAS Students only.

Clubs and Organization Meetings:
NHS
Attention all NHS members and applicants! Please join us for lunch in Stallings' room TODAY for a meeting with all the information you will need to know about TSAS's National Honors Society.  Applicants, please bring in your completed and signed form to the meeting and join us today to learn how you can be involved NHS this year.  If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask Anne Faust or Carly Hughes.

Student Led Bible Study
The first meeting for Student-led Bible Study is here!  Come and see what it's all about this Thursday before school at 8:00 am in Room 29 (Mama Hahn's room).  ALL are welcome!

Anime Club will meet this Thursday 3-3:45 in room 8 to watch our scheduled viewing.

On My Level
OML/SJL will be having their first open meeting of the year Thursday from 3-4 after school in room 14. We will be discussing plans for this year, and welcoming new members, or anyone who wants to stop by to see what Social Justice and inclusion mean at TSAS.

Senior Class meeting this Friday in Ellen and Daniels room! We will be voting on who gets the two spots open in senior council, if you are interested make sure Ellen or Daniel knows!

Book Club
Hello there fellow Book Worms! Are you interested in reading new books and having great discussions with others about these books? Then join us at the Book Club. Our first meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 8th in room 20 over lunch. We will be discussing plans for the year as well as developing a list of books that we would like to read. Meetings will be held every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month. We are partnering with the History Club so some of our readings will be looking at some of the same topics that the History Club will be exploring. Bring your lunch and join us.

Math Tutoring:
Math Tutoring will be available in Judi's room on Tuesday's after school from 3-4. If you need help with math skills or just get more practice please join us. We are also looking for students who would like to volunteer as peer tutors. If you are interested, please see Judi or Mama Hahn.

Speech and Debate Tryouts:

Speech and Debate tryouts for the 2015-2016 school year will be
Thursday September 3 in room 8.  There will be a meeting this Friday at lunch where students will sign up for times, learn try-out procedures, and choose partners if trying out for the debate team or speech duos.  Speech events include:  Monologue, Poetry, Prose, Standard Oratory, Original Oratory, Humorous Duos, Dramatic Duos, Humorous Interpretation and Dramatic Interpretation.  Both US and International Extemporaneous speaking compete with the Speech team.  The debate team will compete in Lincoln Douglas and we have expanded and now have Policy Debate (team) this year as well. If you miss the meeting this Friday or know you will, please see Mrs. Hughes for more information.

Fundraiser:
Do you have a sweet tooth?  The cross country team will be selling candy for $1 after school.  See a XC member or come to Jenny's office in the gym if you'd like to purchase one.  Money raised will go to buy our team hoodie!

TSAS T-Shirt and Bumper Sticker Sales:
The PTSO will be selling TSAS T-shirts ($15) and TSAS Bumper Stickers ($5) during lunch beginning this Thursday, August 20th through the end of next week.  Make your purchase with cash, check and credit/debit cards.

Junior Volunteer opportunity:
“Generation Impact,” is an exciting volunteer program for high school teenagers ages 15 to 18 that combines volunteerism and medical career exploration through the St. John Auxiliary.   The junior volunteer program is an exciting opportunity to meet other students from the Tulsa area and learn more about medicine. For additional information about the junior volunteer program, please call Volunteer Services at 918-744-2284.

Philbrook Museum of Art is once again looking for high school juniors and seniors to apply for their awesome program, The Collective! The Collective is created for Tulsa area teens who are interested in the arts, how artists think and work, and forming deeper relationships with their community. Over a period of two months a selection of high school students collectively meet at Philbrook Downtown and:
 - Engage in art challenges
 - Gain special behind the scenes access to the Philbrook collection.
 - Explore the exciting Tulsa art community and work with local artists.
 - Develop ideas for making Philbrook Downtown engaging and fun for visitors.
 - Build participatory programming for a Philbrook Downtown First Friday

You do not have to be 'good' at art to apply, just passionate and committed! Please see Foshee for an application or go to http://philbrook.org/form/collective-2015-16-application.
 Applications for the Fall session are due August 31st.

--
WE ARE TSAS...WE RISE!
Liesa Smith