Replace doc.tryton.org by readthedocs

Cédric Krier

May 18, 2018, 8:40:05 PM5/18/18
to Tryton
Hi,

Today we talked on IRC about the documentation [1] and that there are
many places where documentation can be found.
One place is the readthedocs [2][3] and another place is doc.tryton.org
The readthedocs was an attempt to automate the publication but it was
never finished.
I made some tests and here is my proposal to merge both:

I create a repository which contains a single index.rst [4], the idea is
to have this repository as the main project on rtfd. As you can see it
lists all the documentation using sub-projects [5] which allow to share
index. Also we could manage the index.rst file per branches so we could
have the documentation per series.
We could also set a custom domain [6] as 'doc.tryton.org'

I think it will be a good improvement to have automate documentation
build on such platform.

What do you think?

[1] http://www.tryton.org/~irclog/2018-05-18.log.html#t11:05
[2] https://trytond.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
[3] https://tryton.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
[4] http://hg.tryton.org/readthedocs/
[5] https://docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/subprojects.html
[6] https://docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/alternate_domains.html
--
Cédric Krier - B2CK SPRL
Email/Jabber: cedric...@b2ck.com

Cédric Krier

May 18, 2018, 9:05:06 PM5/18/18
to Tryton
On 2018-05-19 02:37, Cédric Krier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today we talked on IRC about the documentation [1] and that there are
> many places where documentation can be found.
> One place is the readthedocs [2][3] and another place is doc.tryton.org
> The readthedocs was an attempt to automate the publication but it was
> never finished.
> I made some tests and here is my proposal to merge both:
>
> I create a repository which contains a single index.rst [4], the idea is
> to have this repository as the main project on rtfd. As you can see it
> lists all the documentation using sub-projects [5] which allow to share
> index. Also we could manage the index.rst file per branches so we could
> have the documentation per series.
> We could also set a custom domain [6] as 'doc.tryton.org'
>
> I think it will be a good improvement to have automate documentation
> build on such platform.
>
> What do you think?

For the record, this could only be done once this PR is merged and
running on rtfd: https://github.com/rtfd/readthedocs.org/pull/4114

Sergi Almacellas Abellana

May 23, 2018, 11:05:49 AM5/23/18
to tryto...@googlegroups.com
El 19/05/18 a les 02:37, Cédric Krier ha escrit:
> Hi,
>
> Today we talked on IRC about the documentation [1] and that there are
> many places where documentation can be found.

Yes, that's one of our drawbacks which adds complexity for newbies.

> One place is the readthedocs [2][3] and another place is doc.tryton.org
> The readthedocs was an attempt to automate the publication but it was
> never finished.
> I made some tests and here is my proposal to merge both:
>
> I create a repository which contains a single index.rst [4], the idea is
> to have this repository as the main project on rtfd. As you can see it
> lists all the documentation using sub-projects [5] which allow to share
> index. Also we could manage the index.rst file per branches so we could
> have the documentation per series.
> We could also set a custom domain [6] as 'doc.tryton.org'
>
> I think it will be a good improvement to have automate documentation
> build on such platform.>
> What do you think?

I like the idea as it will allow us to have the trunk version also
documented as sometimes we include documentation on trunk that's also
useful for older releases.

Lets go for it.
Sergi Almacellas Abellana
www.koolpi.com