Mind blown again!

Gabriel DeVault

Feb 2, 2013, 6:44:56 AM2/2/13
to trinityl...@googlegroups.com
I have access to a Dimension Elite printer and for a more direct comparison I set the Aluminatus layer height to .010" (.254mm) and tried the torture test piece on both machines. I have a short video and some pics. But suffice it say I am impressed! All-in-all the parts are pretty comparable. I'd give the Elite a slight edge in overall aesthetic consistency, but I think that is largely due to the PLA changing colors due to layer height, varying printing speed (I couldn't help myself), and lack of an enclosure. I tried from 100% to 50% of the default values and basically could achieve a matte vs. shiny finish accordingly. Virtually no difference in the part otherwise. Most of the big blocky features were exact as far as my calipers could tell. Almost all dimensions were within +/-.02mm, and with the only real "flaw" being both machines under-sizing the columns by about .1mm. The Aluminatus had much better infill on surfaces, less prominent vertical seams, and less than 1/2 the build time. Oh and it cost about 1/20th of the Elite ;p

Still stoked!

UKchris

Feb 2, 2013, 6:58:12 AM2/2/13
to trinityl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gabriel,

Excellent work.

A favour if you'd be so kind;  am on the final stretch of building my A1 and need to know the exact length of the vertical extrusions (by themselves).

Would really appreciate it.  I'm in the pre-stoked mode

Regards

Dave

Feb 2, 2013, 7:08:42 AM2/2/13
to trinityl...@googlegroups.com

Now that's a telling test!   I had been a little concerned about what flat, horizontal surface infill would look like with the A1.  It seems it's as good as it gets!

I have to ask, which Dimension model did you compare your new printer to?  I've used both the Dimension and Fortus line, and our Fortus machine was just a tiny bit better.  But that was quite a few years ago; they may all be equivalent now.

Dave

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Feb 2, 2013, 7:11:02 AM2/2/13
to trinityl...@googlegroups.com
UKChris-

There are(or should be) only 2 lengths of 20 x 60 tslot in the whole frame, 550mm long for the y direction and 527mm long for the width *and* the uprights.

Your 12mm smooth rods should be 520mm long. The uprights at 527mm - the cover plate is 4.7625mm thick so we left a few mm wiggle room that is taken up by the rod end holders so the rods should never be too long for the gantry.

Did you get anything that doesn't match these measurements?

-Ezra

UKchris

Feb 2, 2013, 7:43:12 AM2/2/13
to trinityl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ezra,

Thanks for that - I didn't want to trouble you personally, and at the weekend.  Two of your staff (Frank and Simon) have been most helpful with a couple of questions.

Regarding the dimensions you quote - they are all accurate, except for the verticals.  Mine are 554mm (measured, measured again, and a third time - just to be sure), which explains why it looks a bit tall and the smooth rods don't reach up to them.  But I can accurately cut off the excess.

I have to say that I'm very impressed by the build quality and advanced state of build (on delivery).  Only minor criticism is a shortage of a dozen or so T nuts and M5 - 10mm screws.  You've put M5 - 12mm screws in - which I have needed to put 2 washers under the heads, in order to make them into 10mm's.  But, in a machine of this complexity - we're talking very minor stuff.

I'd buy another - and probably will, but considering Gabriel's comparison to a machine x20 the price, I'll have a long wait.

Regards

Chris

Dave

Feb 2, 2013, 12:09:56 PM2/2/13
to trinityl...@googlegroups.com

Boy, it'd be sweet to run this comparison using ABS in both printers.  Any plans to try ABS on the A1 soon?

Dave