WSDOT GIS based Bridge Vertical Clearance Trip Planner.

Smith, Alan

Jan 22, 2015, 12:47:53 PM1/22/15
to trb-...@googlegroups.com

Here is some information on our new bridge vertical clearance application. The press release, with some nice quotes from our Governor and Secretary, was picked up by several local news outlets (TV and newspapers).  The application is intentionally simple (limited), based on user feedback.  Here is a short write up that we submitted to an internal newsletter:

Transportation Data & GIS Office

Bridge Vertical Clearance Trip Planner. On January 15, 2015 the Bridge Preservation Office and Transportation Data and GIS Office (TDGO) released the Production version of the “Bridge Vertical Clearance Trip Planner” web map application. The application is now publicly available and was announced via a press release on January 15th.

The application provides a map of WSDOT maintained bridge structures and a variety of background map layers. The Trip Planner also provides a query tool which, given user-provided load height and a state route, displays bridge clearance obstructions. Users can then zoom into those bridge locations and obtain more detailed information, including images of the bridge. Previously, clearance information has been available only through a static pdf document; the Trip Planner will use current production data. This application is part of an overall effort to update existing WSDOT bridge clearance information and improve the physical location of the clearance data.

Application home page:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Bridge/Structures/BVCTP.htm

WSDOT news release:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/News/2015/01/15_newbridgemappingtool.htm

WSDOT Blog:

http://wsdotblog.blogspot.com/2015/01/what-were-doing-to-help-truck-drivers.html

A few points of interest:

1.      The bridge data comes directly from our production bridge preservation system.

2.      The clearance points include on-system and under-system.

3.      Bridge structures are represented as lines, under structure restrictions are points.

4.      We do not yet have line specific clearance data, we are looking into collecting and adding that information.

5.      You can get more detailed information by clicking on a feature.

6.      We aren’t providing point to point routing; we may add this in the future.

7.      We aren’t including any non-state (county, city, fed. Tribe) bridges, we may add these in the future.

8.      The application works fairly well on mobile devices.

9.      We are also publishing a simple API so that 3rd party developers will be able to integrate this information into other systems.

Thanks.

Alan B. Smith

Map Center

GIS & Roadway Data Branch Manager,