Connecting the Sectors: Weaving a New Transit Network (fwd)

jbs

Feb 17, 2016, 1:32:26 PM2/17/16
to transport-innovators

Subject: Connecting the Sectors: Weaving a New Transit Network

Uber and Lyft are working with some MASS TRANSIT agencies to provide to/from service to MT stations in several cities. Probably many more to come. Can PRT compete
with that arrangement? Providing feeder/distributor service to MT stations is one of the most logical applications for PRT. Could PRT provide competitive service for
less rider cost and energy use? Are there other factors that would make it competitive? This arrangement will also probably have a major impact on urban bus systems.
In many cities patronage on bus systems is much greater than on LRT systems.  If Uber and Lyft are involved, it is OK to call the result a "new transit" network - I
guess it depends somewhat on the definition of "transit". Of course, for those few regular transit riders that can afford to pay Uber and Lyft for their whole trip,
some decline in line-haul MT use should also be expected. How will MT agencies deal with the resulting loss in patronage and revenue?  Many are not doing so well now
(i.e. on a current cost/revenue basis as well as a huge deferred maintenance and unfunded benefits issues). Comments welcome.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Feb 17, 2016, 2:29:31 PM2/17/16
to transport-innovators
Jerry

High speed guideway can join with Lyft and Uber to let the drivers make more money per hour thus improving the service in all ways.  Today if I go downtown Austin and turn on my Uber app I can pick up a rider in about 20 minutes of dead time on average.  My gas is still running out of my UberX car and the air conditioning is still on, using apparently 25% more gas (cough cough) but I am not getting paid for the dead time.  Once I connect with a ride I still don't get paid while I drive over to the customer in heavy insane traffic congestion.  What is great about big data is they do link your car position with the nearest ride request so the drive to the customer is usually less than 5 blocks in downtown or 3 miles outside of the hotel center.  These are typical days.  So once the customer is located (not an easy process just yet) the ride starts and the money rolls.  Uber gets their cut and the driver gets the rest.  That is unless you are picking up from the Austin airport and then Austin gets a dollar.  So far so good.  Now everything is great till you pull away from the curb or undouble park and head out.  On average Uber drivers are making $15 an hour.  They talk a good game about peak times but in Austin reality it is about one in 30 rides that cracks the peak rate and then only for two rides in a row then back to cheap.  The average speed in the congested parts of the city is about 17 mph or bus speed.  That is because buses are constantly in the way and they slow all traffic down to their pace.

What guideway can do?  At 180 mph instead of 17 mph the $15 per hour is now $158.82 per hour for an UberX driver.  Not only is the driver making crazy money but the number of cars on the road and on guideway is less since fewer drivers are serving far more customers.  I proposed this to an Uber exec at the failed Austin City Council roast of Uber and Lyft but he was seriously distracted by Ann Kitchen and the mayor that I am sure he did not fully register what I was showing him on my cell phone animations.  Maven (GM trying to be Uber and horn in) may be able to push this further too.  The idea that an Uber driver can be making $158.82 per hour is quite appealing and in a free market what that translates to is instead of an Uber driver (also a free market) will charge less and still make more than before guideway was built AND the customers are far better served AND there are less cars on the roads and less on the combination of roads and guideway to boot.  If Uber drivers are making more then Uber will make more too since they are skimming off the top.  There is no downside for this guideway/Uber/Lyft/Maven.  All the downsides are for Russia and Iran trying to crash the oil prices to put fracking and Canadian tar sands out of business.  Once they have accomplished their mission of hurting American oil entrepreneurs then they will crank the price way up past the $100 mark again where tar sands make money.  Bottom line if guideway and Uber were to combine TODAY then by the time they crank up the oil prices to crushing levels we won't need their damn oil.  It does take action TODAY for this to work out well.  The alternative is to wait a year more and let Uber drivers drop off loosing their ass trying to drive for Uber while their gas prices and oil for the crank case prices explode.  At $15 per hour that is a fragile line they walk and any disruption on the negative like oil manipulation will put them under and crater Uber based on that thin line of available workers.  They can buy new employees with their promotions using investor dollars short term but long term the price of oil will blow their mansions away.  If they actively convert to pure electric even if they don't do TriTrack they have a chance of moving past cheap oil into the next era of very expensive oil.

My ranting today will read well in the future when the games the big boys are playing are over and it is checkmate on America.     Uber will be part of that strategic defeat.  No one today seems to be able to play a strategic game.  Everything is hand to mouth and that will fail in a big way.

Jerry Roane

WALTER BREWER

Feb 17, 2016, 4:41:06 PM2/17/16
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Jerry/Jerry
I agree with this guideway/Call0Up comcept,9cotnedessarily these numbers), as best public transportation for the future, and the best way to incorporate superior principles of PRT/ATN. Continuing to prop up mass transit, when faster single vehicle doorstep to real destination is not in the public best interest.
Common vehicles, self driving or not, should be a common achievement for max environmental advantage.

Bellow is a suggestion sent to ATRA a few weeks back. Urgency is obvious in light of APTA objectives,

Walt Brewer

However I suggest there is an elephant in the room that requires a city-wide system study to accommodate inputs for both on-call personal service,(the elephant, Lyft, Uber, etc,.) and ATN.
The doorstep/random access by OCP, and general familiarity with automobile ravel produce a potential dominant mode serving urban areas. ATN guideways are likely more accessible than mass transit, has instant vehicle availability, but requires getting to/from statiions. Nass transit has poor access,(Even $40billion major overlay in San Diego's Plan, shows autos with 3 times better access) offers r slow start stop transfer service principally to non-drivers. Though new mass transit costs/pass-mile approach current CUP, high subsidy produces low fares.

Thus the model and operation for evaluation would be:
Growing communities.
Merged OCP and ATN. Guidways for travel growth perhaps converting some roads.
Work toward OCP vehicle guideway compatibility, and maximum efficiency.
Eliminate new mass transit, and phase out most of old**. Principal phasing consideration to non-drivers.
Phase subsidies to maintain OCP fares at other plans projected values.

Principal results would be:
Cost comparisons with current plans. And using forward-looking performance.
Speed and quality of service.
Phasing schedules
Introduction of driverless road vehicles.#
** Retain "legacy" cities mass transit; Manhattan, Chicago, erc.
# "Driverless vehicles " have drivers, they just are not human. Maybe too late, but suggest "Self Driving Vehicles, SDV, as more descriptive.
Probably OCP will find roads insufficient, especially for growing cities already congested. Thus importance of guideway and ATN. Considerable depends on effectiveness to reduce deadheading, amount of vehicle dharing.

Talent: Doesn't ATRA have several academia connections student projects. And I remember Stan's comments about Shannon McDonald for planning; in St Louis I believe?
A source if numerical data is the regional plans for specific metro areas. I would think Lyft and Uber wound be willing to pitch in.

Considering the $billions going into urban transportation, it is unfortunate USDOT does not have n objective facts-based center to look ahead to evaluate and create new combinations evolving. USDOT is organized by devices involved, not system functions. Thus same old hardware appears.

Subject: Re: [t-i] Connecting the Sectors: Weaving a New Transit Network (fwd)
To: "transport-innovators" <transport-...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 2:29 PM

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/transport-innovators.

Eric Johnson

Feb 17, 2016, 4:53:55 PM2/17/16
to transport-innovators, j...@u.washington.edu
One has to wonder how many folks use the "kiss and go" option where the spouse drops them off??? That's cheaper and more convenient than Uber any day...
Eric

jbs

Feb 25, 2016, 11:02:52 AM2/25/16
to transport-innovators

Subject: Re: Connecting the Sectors: Weaving a New Transit Networ

I agree that the cost of UBER and other services is an important factor to consider when thinking about the impact of to/from services to conventional rail and bus
stops on conventional MASS TRANSIT operations. I note that in Austin, UBER is now trying something they call UBERPOOL which might produce reduced fares and higher
revenues due  to increased vehicle occupancy. They are also experimenting with using driven motorcycles as vehicles in SE Asian cities. Maybe they will also
reintroduce jitneys as well.

I also think that building elevated PRT in dense locations is likely to be much more costly that some of the cost/mile estimates we typically see and I would expect
that larger vehicles (GRT) might well be required in such areas. I recall the Cincinnati experience - where street level businesses were fierce opponents of the
proposed elevated guideway - same in India.

Jerry