Cuban Twelfth Edition of the Meetings on Agroecology, Organic and Sustainable Agriculture 28 May 2018 to 7 June, 2018 Havana, Cuba and Environs

Maria WHittaker

Feb 7, 2018, 7:28:37 PM2/7/18

https://fssg.blogspot.com/2018/02/cuban-twelfth-edition-of-meetings-on.html

Cuban Twelfth Edition of the Meetings on Agroecology, Organic and Sustainable Agriculture 28 May 2018 to 7 June, 2018 Havana, Cuba and Environs
The Cuban Association of Agricultural and Forestry Technicians (ACTAF)

Twelfth Edition of the Meetings on
Agroecology, Organic and Sustainable Agriculture

28 May to 7 June, 2018
Havana, Cuba and environs

PRE-EVENT COURSE
International Workshop "Agroecology, the road to a prosperous and sustainable agriculture"
Date: 28-30 May, 2018
Havana

PRE EVENT TOUR
"Agro-ecological Cuba, at the reach of your hands"
Date: 1-4 June 2018
Havana, Mayabeque and Artemisa.

MAIN EVENT
The meeting will be organized in thematic symposiums related to the main challenges identified in the 11th Meeting held in 2016, and the manner in which the country assumes climate change and the implementation of new strategies for the strengthening of food sovereignty.
Date: 4-7 June, 2018
Convention Center of the Cuban Small Peasant Association (ANAP) located at Güira de Melena, one of the most relevant agricultural municipalities of Cuba. Province Artemisa, 50km away from Havana.

Cuba's Association of Agricultural and Forestry Technicians (ACTAF) will host their biennial conference on Agroecology, Organic and Sustainable Agriculture in May and June of 2018. The conference will provide a space for reflection and exchange of ideas through thematic symposiums. The event will take place as Cuba begins to implement its intersecting national strategies on "Confronting Climate Change" ("Life Task", or,"Tarea Vida", in Spanish) and Agricultural Development 2030. A pre-event course & tour to agroecological sites will also be available to international participants.

The Cuban Association of Agricultural and Forestry Technicians (ACTAF) calls the twelfth edition of the meetings on Agroecology, Organic and Sustainable Agriculture, where people and institutions linked to the agricultural sector will find a space for reflection, exchange and participative construction of proposals for the development of economically viable, environmentally friendly and socially fair agriculture, in pursuit of local food sovereignty.

Considering the relevance that Agroecology has had in the presentations and technical debates of these Meetings, from this edition on it will be organized as the 12th Meeting on Agroecology, Organic and Sustainable Agriculture. The meeting on this occasion will take place in the context of the implementation of Cuba's strategies "Confronting Climate Change" (“Life Task”) and the Agriculture Development Strategy to 2030, with a special emphasis on strengthening national food security in a self-managed and environmentally friendly way, efforts in which technicians and professionals of the Cuban agricultural sector play a special role.

OBJECTIVES Provide a space for reflection and exchange on the advances and challenges of sustainable agriculture on agroecological bases in Cuba and in the world through the following Symposia:

Symposium Climate change, adaptation and resilience.
Topics: Recovery of forests and trees against extreme weather events. Climate change and management of agricultural production. Sustainable management of water, land and forests. Resilience and local agrarian culture. Biodiversity, conservation and local production of phyto and zoo genetic resources

Symposium Sustainable Forest Management
Topics: Forestry. Agroforestry systems, silvopastoral systems, trees outside forests, rural and urban landscape approach. Reconstruction of forests. Protection against forest fires. Urban trees and forests, urban green systems in landscape management

Symposium Research and innovation for an agro-ecological based sustainable agriculture
Topics: Appropriate Biotechnology. Research and design of indicators and technologies for different productive scales. Training and coordination of local actors for sustainable agricultural innovation. Mechanization systems. Irrigation and water management. Design and agro-ecological management of crop and livestock systems. Local technical services for sustainable agriculture.

Symposium Education for sustainable agriculture
Topics: The mass media, information and communication technologies for a culture of sustainability and to dignified the agricultural sector. Sustainable agriculture and agro-ecology in higher education programs. Learning by doing in technical training at the intermediate and higher education levels. Participatory knowledge construction.

Symposium Post-harvesting, marketing and food security
Topics: Participatory business plans, and economic and social effects of sustainable agriculture. Quality, safety and organic and ecological certification systems, and their institutional and legal framework. Focusing value chains on local food production, from producers to consumers.

Symposium Gender equity, youth, family and social justice in sustainable agriculture
Topics: Vocational training and work with the new generations. The woman in the family, the farm and the community. Rescue of peasant knowledge, third age and generational change. The rural family, the sense of belonging and rural emigration. Role of rural women in preserving biodiversity and recovering agroecological practices.

Participation Fees for main event: 350.00 CUC includes registration, participation in activities, accommodation and meals (3 days and 3 nights) and transportation to and from Havana City at the beginning and end of the event.

Within the framework of this 12th Meeting on Agroecology, Organic and Sustainable Agriculture, another important activity related to sustainability and agroecology will be organized:

"1st International Bamboo Symposium on Sustainable Development" Because of the benefits that bamboo brings in the social, economic and environmental aspects, it deserves special attention in the framework of a sustainable agrarian development. The Symposium will serve as a favorable framework for the exchange of experiences among foresters, scientists, architects, construction engineers and artisans, from Cuba and the world, who love bamboo, contributing to its management and use.
For more information contact: Isabel Rusó Milhet or Elías Linares Ramos. Email: ba...@actaf.co.cu; el...@actaf.co.cu; isa...@actaf.co.cu

"Medicinal Plants 2018" This event, with great news, seeks to disseminate scientific research developed in prestigious Cuban institutions and from the rest of the world. The works initiated by the ABOCA International Group of Italy will have a special impact, framed in the systematic study of medicinal plants applied to natural and traditional medicine, and the obtaining of phytomedicines with an anthropological, ethnobotanical and biotechnological approach. The National Technical Group of Medicinal Plants of ACTAF together with other entities is pleased to invite you to share this space of debate and exchange.

For more information with regard to these two events contact: Rodolfo Arencibia Figueroa
Email: plantasmedi...@gmail.com; arencibi...@infomed.sld.cu

CONSULTATIONS AND COMMUNICATION WITH THE ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:
Email: eve...@actaf.co.cu
Sitio web: www.actaf.co.cu
Contact person: Arilia García López.
Dirección Postal: Calle 98 No. 702 e/ 7ma y 7ma A. Playa. La Habana. Cuba

The Vermont Caribbean Institute in Burlington, Vermont under the leadership of Dr. Margarita Hernandez is organizing a delegation to this event. If interested, please contact them at in...@vtcaribbean.org, and check out their posting of this event at:
http://www.vtcaribbean.org/professional-travel-exchanges.html.

En Espanol

SEGUNDA CONVOCATORIA INTERNACIONAL
La Asociación Cubana de Técnicos Agrícolas y Forestales (ACTAF),
12do Encuentro de Agroecología, Agricultura Orgánica y Sostenible
Convoca a la décimo segunda edición de los encuentros sobre Agroecología, Agricultura Orgánica y Sostenible, donde personas e instituciones, vinculadas con el sector agrario encontrarán un espacio de reflexión, intercambio y construcción participativa de propuestas para el desarrollo de una agricultura económicamente viable, ambientalmente amigable y socialmente justa, en pos de la soberanía alimentaria local. Considerando el peso que ha tenido y tiene la Agroecología en las ponencias y debates técnicos de estos Encuentros, se decidió renombrar el mismo. Es por ello que se convoca como 12do Encuentro de Agroecología, Agricultura Orgánica y Sostenible.

El Encuentro en esta ocasión tendrá lugar en el contexto de la implementación de las estrategias de Cuba: “Enfrentamiento al Cambio Climático” (Tarea Vida) y la Estrategia de Desarrollo de la Agricultura al 2030, con un énfasis especial en el fortalecimiento de la seguridad alimentaria nacional de manera autogestionaria y ambientalmente amigable. Empeños en los cuales corresponde a los técnicos y profesionales del sector agrario cubano un protagonismo especial.

OBJETIVOS Ofrecer un espacio de reflexión e intercambio sobre los avances y retos de la agricultura sostenible sobre bases agroecológicas en Cuba y en el mundo, a través de los siguientes simposios.

Simposio Cambio climático, adaptación y resiliencia Temáticas: Recuperación de bosques y arboles frente a eventos climáticos extremos. Cambio climático y manejo de la producción agropecuaria. Manejo sostenible del agua, suelos y bosques. Resiliencia y cultura agraria local. Biodiversidad, conservación y producción local de recursos fito y zoogenéticos.

Simposio Manejo Forestal Sostenible Temáticas: Silvicultura. Sistemas agroforestales, silvopastoriles, arboles fuera del bosques enfoque del paisaje rural y urbano. Reconstrucción de bosques. Protección contra incendios forestales. Árboles y bosques Urbanos, Sistemas Verdes Urbanos en el manejo del paisaje. Simposio Investigación e innovación para una agricultura sostenible sobre bases agroecológicas Temáticas: Biotecnología apropiada. Investigación y diseño de indicadores y tecnologías para diferentes escalas productivas. Formación y articulación de actores locales. Sistemas de mecanización. Riego y manejo del agua. Diseño y manejo agroecológico de sistemas de cultivo y ganadería. Servicios técnicos locales para una agricultura sostenible.

Simposio Educación para una agricultura sostenible Temáticas: Los medios de difusión masiva y las tecnologías de la información y comunicación para una cultura de sostenibilidad y la dignificación del sector agrario. La agricultura sostenible y la agroecología en los programas de educación superior. Aprender haciendo en la formación técnica de nivel medio y superior. Construcción participativa del conocimiento.

Simposio Post-cosecha, comercialización y seguridad alimentaria Temáticas: Planes de negocio participativos y efectos económicos y sociales de la agricultura sostenible. Sistemas de calidad, inocuidad y certificación orgánica y ecológica, y su marco institucional y legal. Enfoque de cadenas de valor en la producción local de alimentos, con protagonismo de quienes se vinculan directamente a la producción y la comercialización, consumidores y consumidoras.

Simposio Equidad de género, juventud, familia y justicia social en una agricultura sostenible Temáticas: Formación vocacional y trabajo con las nuevas generaciones. Posición de la mujer en la familia, la finca y la comunidad. Rescate de saberes campesinos, tercera edad y relevo generacional. La familia rural, el sentido de pertenencia y la emigración rural. Papel de la mujer rural en la preservación de la biodiversidad y recuperación de prácticas agroecológicas.

CONSULTAS Y COMUNICACIÓN CON EL COMITÉ ORGANIZADOR:
Correo e: encue...@actaf.co.cu
Sitio web: www.actaf.co.cu
Persona de contacto: Arilia García López.
Dirección Postal: Calle 98 No. 702 e/ 7ma y 7ma A. Playa. La Habana. Cuba

Maria Whittaker
Program Director

Kansas Chapter Family Farm Defenders
http://www.familyfarmers.org
dba Local2Global Advocates for Food Sovereignty
http://fssg.blogspot.com

Mailing Address Only
7001 Sea View Avenue
Suite 160-648
Seattle, WA
98117
USA

913 945 1333

"Smile, breathe and go slowly."
Thich Nhat Hahn

"I open my heart and send forth my energy of love and understanding to everyone who has made me suffer, to those who have destroyed much of my life and the lives of those I love. I know now that these people have themselves undergone a lot of suffering and that their hearts are overloaded with pain, anger and hatred. I know that anyone who suffers that much will make those around them suffer. I know they may have been unlucky, never having the chance to be cared for and loved. Life and society have dealt them so many hardships. They have been wronged and abused. They have not been guided in the path of mindful living. They have accumulated wrong perceptions about life, about me, and about us. They have wronged us and the people we love. I pray to my ancestors in my blood and spiritual families to channel to those persons who have made us suffer the energy of love and protection, so that their hearts will be able to receive the nectar of love and blossom like a flower. I pray that they can be transformed to experience the joy of living, so that they will not continue to make themselves and others suffer. I see their suffering and do not want to hold any feelings of hatred or anger in myself toward them. I do not want them to suffer. I channel my energy of love and understanding to them and ask all my ancestors to help them."
Thich Nhat Hanh