Are GTFS route colors meaningful

Paul Harrington

Apr 13, 2018, 4:40:58 AM4/13/18
to Transit Developers
Most providers seem to supply route colors and route text colors in their feeds.

Question is across feeds are the colors generally meaningful to commuters ? I realize there are obvious cases like a metro line being called the "red line" where they are but I am thinking more along the lines of colors being assigned to bus and train routes ?

I know it is very much a general opinion based question but opinions are all I am looking for.

Tony Laidig

Apr 14, 2018, 11:21:49 AM4/14/18
to Transit Developers
Short answer: Yes.

Many systems coordinate their route colors from branding/print maps with their GTFS. Additionally use it to group routes by classes of service (e.g. express bus vs local) or corridors of service (see 123, 456, ACE, BDFM in NYC).

Brij Nanda

Jul 12, 2018, 7:18:24 PM7/12/18
to Transit Developers
essentially yes. some agencies/governments, use it for branding and promoting new fast routes like "Red Rapid", so they use the colour "Red" to enhance customer experience.