Top 10 agencies without public data

Brandon Martin-Anderson

Oct 20, 2011, 1:22:19 AM10/20/11
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com
Here's the top ten largest transit agencies (in terms of rider miles
served, according to the National Transit Database) that do not
publish (as far as I can find) open schedule data.

1 - Chicago's Metra
2 - Atlanta's MARTA
3 - Chicagoland's Pace bus system
4 - San Antonio's VIA
5 - Phoenix's Valley Metro
6 - Detroit's DDOT bus system
7 - Washington State Ferries
8 - Orlando's Lynx
9 - Westchester County's Bee-Line Bus (maybe included in the NYC feed?)
10 - San Juan, Puerto Rico's transit system (technically a US system!)

At this point, the majority of rider miles in the US are served in
agencies which expose GTFS feeds to the public. It's just a matter of
mopping up the stragglers. Here they are. If you're served by any of
these agencies and like freedom and stuff, give their IT department a
ring!

-Brandon

TreKing

Oct 20, 2011, 1:47:50 AM10/20/11
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Brandon Martin-Anderson <bad...@gmail.com> wrote:
1 - Chicago's Metra

3 - Chicagoland's Pace bus system

http://www.pacebus.com/sub/about/data_services.asp
http://www.pacebus.com/gtfs/gtfs.zip

Found both when I went looking for "gtfs site:http://metrarail.com" and "gtfs site:http://www.pacebus.com" in Google.

You might have similar luck with the others.

TreKing - Chicago transit tracking app for Android-powered devices

Brandon Martin-Anderson

Oct 20, 2011, 11:57:26 AM10/20/11
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com
Cleared Pace off the wall of shame. I'm working on Metra. Thing is,
gtfs-data-exchange is the canonical list of agencies _with_ open data,
whereas CityGoRound is the canonical list of agencies _without_ open
data. In order to get an agency off CityGoRound's wall of shame, it
needs to be added to gtfs-data-exchange.

In any case the new #10 non-open-data is Cincinnati's Go-Metro system.
They're on Google Transit, which means they publish a GTFS feed, but
apparently only to a single corporation.

-Brandon

Brandon Martin-Anderson

Oct 20, 2011, 2:20:53 PM10/20/11
to Ryan Finnesey, transit-d...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Ryan Finnesey <rfin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you find the ones that are not releasing the data publicly will release
> the data for a fee?

Sometimes. Sometimes not. Either way it's not counted as publishing open data.

> Also I do not see Amtrak listed?

I'm not sure if they're in the National Transit Database. Also, I
suspect that the number of rider-miles they serve is relatively small
compared to municipal transit systems. In any case no I don't know of
an Amtrak GTFS feed.

> Are they now
> releasing data publically?
>
> Cheers
> Ryan

Brandon Martin-Anderson

Oct 20, 2011, 2:35:55 PM10/20/11
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com
That Metra situation is cleared up. We have a new #1 largest non-open
transit agency: Atlanta, GA! That's David Emory's turf. What's up,
David?

Also, welcome the Charlotte, NC area's transit system to position #10.

http://www.citygoround.org/

-Brandon

Aaron Antrim

Oct 20, 2011, 8:11:20 PM10/20/11
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com
It appears that most Amtrak rails services are included in Google Maps.

This story announced the addition of Amtrak services to Google Maps:

I assume Amtrak is producing GTFS and sharing it with Google, but I can't find a source for the official GTFS.

mike hopstop

Oct 25, 2011, 3:18:05 PM10/25/11
to Transit Developers