Re: Club Code of Ethics?

Message has been deleted

Jeff Walker

Dec 8, 2017, 2:15:39 PM12/8/17
to Clark H, Trail Monster Running

sapere aude
--------------------
Jeff Walker

Office: Room 476C, Science Portland
phone: 207-780-4260 (but please e-mail me)

Mailing:
Dept. of Biological Sciences
University of Southern Maine
70 Falmouth St.
Portland ME 04103

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 2:06 PM, <c.hei...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey everyone!

After seeing a rise in women speaking out about sexual harassment it got me thinking where I observe these behaviours or the seeds of these behaviours in my life.

While not seeing sexual harassment at Trailmonsters I have overheard some pretty dismal comments.

i.e From one guy to another: "Why didn't you grab her tits" as a women ran by in the other direction?  ("Locker room" style talk remind you of anyone in the White house?  And this was said before the incident even.)

Many more comments like that and the excessive use of the curse p***y.  As in don't be a "p***y".  I haven't heard that since high school gym.  As Trevor Noah puts it so well in one of his stand up routines...what is stonger then a p***y.  It can deliver a baby.  Brother, your d**k will snap if you sit on it the wrong way.

On top of these issues I myself have experienced weight shame having been shouted at "go eat a steak" before a race.  I have also heard from another vegetarian that she has been made fun of repeatedly.  While these things are all "locker room" talk and the assumption I assume is that I should see it as a friendly jest there is something wrong with it deep down.

Coming into a trail running/ultra running club I just have higher expectations.  Because it is such an egalitarian sport and also everyone goes through so much together.  Especially the fact that children and families are all part of the club and people of all shapes, abilities and sizes.  Should there be a club code of ethics?

I just thought it pertinent to bring up these issues as another year comes to a close.

My best wishes,

Clark

Valerie Abradi

Dec 8, 2017, 2:27:09 PM12/8/17
to c.hei...@gmail.com, Trail Monster Running
Thank you, Clark.

Scout

Mindy Slovinsky

Dec 8, 2017, 2:49:02 PM12/8/17
to Clark H, Trail Monster Running
Thank you, Clark.

Squirrel

Mindy Slovinsky, MS, LCSW
Elm Street Wellness
270 Elm Street, South Portland, ME 04106
207-613-7014

**Email is not a secure form of communication**

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY

This e-mail communication and any attachments is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Mindy Slovinsky, LCSW at 207-613-7014 or reply to mindysl...@gmail.com and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

Valerie Abradi

Dec 8, 2017, 7:25:07 PM12/8/17
to Jeff Walker, Clark H, Trail Monster Running
I think the "we don't do that here" line is brilliant.

Tammy Volock

Dec 8, 2017, 8:38:33 PM12/8/17
to Valerie Abradi, Jeff Walker, Clark H, Trail Monster Running
Val, I agree completely!

unstrung

Dec 11, 2017, 8:57:49 AM12/11/17
to Trail Monster Running
Thank you Clark. Good article Jeff.

Alan Morrison

Dec 15, 2017, 8:26:48 PM12/15/17
to c.hei...@gmail.com, Trail Monster Running
As long as individuals have codes of ethics groups don’t need them.  I hope I’m not wrong in assuming that all trailmonsters have a code of ethics already without having to put it in writing.

Alosaurus

drob...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2017, 4:33:14 AM12/16/17
to Alan Morrison, c.hei...@gmail.com, Trail Monster Running
You are right Alan. I have run with the trail monsters for years and can’t say I have heard even one misplaced remark.  Nothing but unconditional support and respect
Pathfinder

Sent from my iPhone
Message has been deleted

Mindy Slovinsky

Jan 23, 2018, 12:45:47 PM1/23/18
to John Beliveau, Trail Monster Running
Sweaty Buttercups sounds like the worst Girl Scout cookie ever....

Mindy Slovinsky, MS, LCSW
Elm Street Wellness
270 Elm Street, South Portland, ME 04106
207-613-7014

**Email is not a secure form of communication**

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY

This e-mail communication and any attachments is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Mindy Slovinsky, LCSW at 207-613-7014 or reply to mindysl...@gmail.com and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 8:38 AM, 'John Beliveau' via Trail Monster Running <trail-mons...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I made the new years resolution ('16/'17) to stop running Tuesday nights. NBD, It seemed dead before some time before then. The kicker was I would no longer subject myself to have to listen to "so sweaty buttercups".

Jes Karg

Jan 24, 2018, 5:07:50 PM1/24/18
to Trail Monster Running
We were all on the same page, being kind, being respectful, until one person decided to directly insult a number of TMR women who have a harmless inside joke about buttercups.  A joke that could neither hurt nor offend anyone. Apparently some in TMR are not as respectful of their fellow teammates as we all had assumed.

But I do agree with Mindy, worst Girl Scout Cookie ever!! :)

Message has been deleted