Restart of the regular biweekly pluggable transports meeting

John Helmsen

Dec 31, 2017, 4:53:15 PM12/31/17
to Network Traffic Obfuscation
To continue the good work that was started at the last Pluggable Transports meeting in Boston, we should restart the regular biweekly pluggable transports meeting that dropped off the radar many moons ago.  Let's have the first one in the new year on Friday, January 14th at 16:00 UTC  (11:00 EST, 8:00 PST). Since the traditional location at the #tor-dev IRC channel in the OFTC network is still operational, this would still be the best place to meet.

Agenda:

- How to continue the work that we started at the last Pluggable Transports meeting
- Current project status
- Issues with implementation/development that we have encountered since that the community could assist with
- Possible updates for the TorProject webpage:
      https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/PluggableTransports#PluggableTransportIRCmeetings

John Helmsen

Jan 2, 2018, 10:05:59 AM1/2/18
to Network Traffic Obfuscation
Prof. Brooks has helpfully corrected me.  The date is Friday, January 12th.

John Helmsen

Jan 12, 2018, 10:39:38 AM1/12/18
to Network Traffic Obfuscation
To log into the meeting, go to webchat.oftc.net.

Enter your nickname in the nickname field, and #tor-dev in the channel field.

Dlshad Othman

Jan 18, 2018, 2:34:00 PM1/18/18
to Network Traffic Obfuscation
Hi John, happy new year everyone!

This is a really good idea as may progress happened after the Boston meeting. I can help sending invitations to the members to attended the call if needed.
Any suggestion for the next meeting? Monday Jan 29 16:00 UTC  (11:00 EST, 8:00 PST) ?

The agenda can be:
- Current project status
- An update on the new Spec
- Swift implementation
- Android implementation

Thanks
Dlshad

John Helmsen

Jan 23, 2018, 2:29:18 PM1/23/18
to Network Traffic Obfuscation
In the last meeting, we discussed how to update the pluggable transport work in Tor.   Their webpage is fairly out of date for inclusion of new transports, so as we integrate Marionette, we will be updating their webpage as well.

In addition, we are trying to schedule a Marionette presentation at the next Tor meeting in Rome, so that  we can either finish the integration there, or fully develop a plan to complete the integration.

It would be nice, at the next meeting, if we could discuss the Tor integration process specifically and if there are other protocols that we can integrate simultaneously.

Also, while I can support a Monday meeting, it would be best if it was in the Afternoon after 1:00 P.M. EST or on another day than Monday.  May I recommend Tuesday Jan 30th, perhaps at 2:00 P.M., so our west coast brethren can sleep in a bit?

Jodi Spacek

Jan 25, 2018, 12:25:55 PM1/25/18
to Network Traffic Obfuscation
I'm curious about your experiences with integration and inclusion of new transports mentioned from the last meeting. Are there notes you wouldn't mind sharing? I'm researching a PT project in Tor for my master's thesis and I'm finding the Tor resources are a bit incomplete, in particular the "Guidelines for deployment" page. I'd love to listen in to the call on the 30th, if that would be appropriate. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out!

John Helmsen

Jan 25, 2018, 1:40:55 PM1/25/18
to Network Traffic Obfuscation
Jodi,

My experiences, so far, have been centered around trying to get my system ready for inclusion.  We won't be ready to actually start the Tor process until February, since there are other projects that I have to do by the end of Jan.  After that, we will be working to include the system with the Tor people and improving the webpages,  We'd like to finalize the integration at the meeting in Rome in March.

Also, it isn't a call, it's a webchat.  I'll send out the formal announcement.

Justin Henck

Jan 26, 2018, 9:24:38 AM1/26/18
to Network Traffic Obfuscation
Hi John,
Are you planning on utilizing the PT 2.0 spec for the integration?

Thanks,
Justin

John Helmsen

Jan 28, 2018, 9:28:09 AM1/28/18
to Network Traffic Obfuscation
Yes, we are planning on utilizing the PT 2.0 spec.  We will be using the latest draft, unless there is some direct reason that the current Tor code does not support it.