1.0.6 and 1.1.5 releases

Ryan Ollos

Apr 27, 2015, 1:18:07 PM4/27/15
to trac...@googlegroups.com
The next releases (1.0.6 and 1.1.5) are scheduled for Monday May 4th (I modified the milestone due date over the weekend, previously it was May 1st). I'm going to try to create the releases early Monday morning of May 4th (GMT), which means we should wrap up changes by mid-day Sunday (GMT). The release steps are simplified quite a bit now and I'll be focusing on getting this release out on time.

The milestones that follow are 1.0.7 and 1.1.6, scheduled for July 1st 2015. If things go well and we are in a good position for a 1.2 release following 1.1.6, then the 1.2 release could happen later in the month. That would give some time after 1.1.6 to pull in translations and ask for extensive beta testing of 1.1.6. That implies no enhancements, just fixes, between 1.1.6 and 1.2.

We should think about how we'll support the 1.0.x line after 1.2 is released. I'd like to push only critical fixes to 1.0.x after 1.2 is released, but please let me know your thoughts.

- Ryan

Christian Boos

Apr 29, 2015, 5:49:52 AM4/29/15
to trac...@googlegroups.com
On 4/27/2015 7:18 PM, Ryan Ollos wrote:
> The next releases (1.0.6 and 1.1.5) are scheduled for Monday May 4th (I
> modified the milestone due date over the weekend, previously it was May
> 1st). I'm going to try to create the releases early Monday morning of
> May 4th (GMT), which means we should wrap up changes by mid-day Sunday
> (GMT). The release steps are simplified quite a bit now and I'll be
> focusing on getting this release out on time.

Sounds good! Unfortunately I won't be able to assist, being away from my
workstation for a few weeks. But you seem to have everything under
control by now anyway.

> The milestones that follow are 1.0.7 and 1.1.6, scheduled for July 1st
> 2015. If things go well and we are in a good position for a 1.2 release
> following 1.1.6, then the 1.2 release could happen later in the month.
> That would give some time after 1.1.6 to pull in translations and ask
> for extensive beta testing of 1.1.6. That implies no enhancements, just
> fixes, between 1.1.6 and 1.2.

However I'll have time to catch-up reading my mail and contribute to the
previous discussions I missed on Trac-dev, notably the 1.2 roadmap and
what's beyond. Some of the ideas I'll try to develop would be to focus
on Python 2.7, find a way out of the Genshi trap and modernize the UI,
doing more stuff client-side and have the Python backend go back to
generate the data only (only, JSON instead of HDF this time ;-) ).

> We should think about how we'll support the 1.0.x line after 1.2 is
> released. I'd like to push only critical fixes to 1.0.x after 1.2 is
> released, but please let me know your thoughts.

Yes, once 1.2 is out, there will be no reason to continue adding
features or non-critical fixes to 1.0. We don't even need to label it as
"LTS", I think we could plan to have 1.2 as the next long term stable
basis after 0.12.

-- Christian

Leho Kraav

Apr 29, 2015, 5:59:29 AM4/29/15
to trac...@googlegroups.com
On 29.04.2015 12:49, Christian Boos wrote:

> However I'll have time to catch-up reading my mail and contribute to the
> previous discussions I missed on Trac-dev, notably the 1.2 roadmap and
> what's beyond. Some of the ideas I'll try to develop would be to focus
> on Python 2.7, find a way out of the Genshi trap and modernize the UI,
> doing more stuff client-side and have the Python backend go back to
> generate the data only (only, JSON instead of HDF this time ;-) ).

Soooo @cboos, how come I don't see GenericTrac in this list :)

Christian Boos

Apr 29, 2015, 6:02:41 AM4/29/15
to trac...@googlegroups.com
The margin of the mail was too narrow to discuss it ;-)

-- Christian

Ryan Ollos

Apr 29, 2015, 1:16:38 PM4/29/15
to trac...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 2:49 AM, Christian Boos <christi...@free.fr> wrote:
On 4/27/2015 7:18 PM, Ryan Ollos wrote:
> The next releases (1.0.6 and 1.1.5) are scheduled for Monday May 4th (I
> modified the milestone due date over the weekend, previously it was May
> 1st). I'm going to try to create the releases early Monday morning of
> May 4th (GMT), which means we should wrap up changes by mid-day Sunday
> (GMT). The release steps are simplified quite a bit now and I'll be
> focusing on getting this release out on time.

Sounds good! Unfortunately I won't be able to assist, being away from my
workstation for a few weeks. But you seem to have everything under
control by now anyway.

> The milestones that follow are 1.0.7 and 1.1.6, scheduled for July 1st
> 2015. If things go well and we are in a good position for a 1.2 release
> following 1.1.6, then the 1.2 release could happen later in the month.
> That would give some time after 1.1.6 to pull in translations and ask
> for extensive beta testing of 1.1.6. That implies no enhancements, just
> fixes, between 1.1.6 and 1.2.

However I'll have time to catch-up reading my mail and contribute to the
previous discussions I missed on Trac-dev, notably the 1.2 roadmap and
what's beyond. Some of the ideas I'll try to develop would be to focus
on Python 2.7, find a way out of the Genshi trap and modernize the UI,
doing more stuff client-side and have the Python backend go back to
generate the data only (only, JSON instead of HDF this time ;-) ).

That sounds great. I have a short document outlining some features I'll propose to implement in 1.3.x. I look forward to discussing those and hearing more about your ideas for the modernization.

- Ryan

RjOllos

May 7, 2015, 4:46:46 PM5/7/15
to trac...@googlegroups.com, ryan.j...@gmail.com
All tickets assigned to the milestones have been closed or retargeted. Release should be ready by Saturday.

- Ryan

figaro

May 27, 2015, 4:34:22 PM5/27/15
to trac...@googlegroups.com, ryan.j...@gmail.com
Can you post the document you refer to, even if under embargo?

RjOllos

May 28, 2015, 7:02:19 PM5/28/15

On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 4:34:22 PM UTC-4, figaro wrote:
Can you post the document you refer to, even if under embargo?

I'll post to the list later this week after I've had time to do make sense out of my notes.

- Ryan

RjOllos

Aug 18, 2015, 2:51:23 PM8/18/15
to Trac Development, ryan.j...@gmail.com
I've rearranged your reply in the "logical ordering" ;)

I'm not ready to post anything for 1.3.x, but with my scheduled tickets winding down for 1.2, I'm going to start focusing on integrating features of small plugins. These are plugins that I use, and it seems to make sense to have them included in Trac. I'm not sure how many of these I will get through in the coming weeks, but at least a few.

* CustomFieldAdminPlugin trac:#11469
* NavAddPlugin trac:#11317
* DefaultColsPlugin: trac:#10425
* NeverNotifyUpdaterPlugin: trac:#2247
* AnnouncerPlugin (trac:#4519, trac:#11870, trac:#11871)
* AdminEnumListPlugin: trac:#11682
* TableSorterPlugin: trac:#11683

The list of plugins that have been obsoleted so far by work in Trac 1.1.x can be found here: