Ukrainian translation contribution

Sergii Galashyn

Dec 14, 2010, 5:04:58 PM12/14/10
to Trac Development
Hello,

I've got uk_UA pot-files ready for Trac 0.12 (already used and tested
on few instances) and would like to start the "official" translation
process for my language.

I have read "Localization (L10N) of Trac" (http://trac.edgewall.org/
wiki/TracL10N) page, but still not sure how to begin correctly.

My steps are going to be following:

1. Create definition page and put there my propositions of terms. It
will be http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracTermsUk
2. Create ticket to coordinate the translators work.
3. Attach the initial pot-files to the ticket.
4. Attach the further pot-file updates as diff patches.

Trac developers will check this ticket out and use attachments for
updating Ukrainian translation before each string freeze.

Please correct me if I am missing something. Maybe anything else
should be done?

And last one. If anybody wants to contribute in this translation,
please drop some notes in this thread.

Thanks,
-sg

Christian Boos

Dec 15, 2010, 3:54:02 AM12/15/10
to trac...@googlegroups.com
On 12/14/2010 11:04 PM, Sergii Galashyn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got uk_UA pot-files ready for Trac 0.12 (already used and tested
> on few instances) and would like to start the "official" translation
> process for my language.
>
> I have read "Localization (L10N) of Trac" (http://trac.edgewall.org/
> wiki/TracL10N) page, but still not sure how to begin correctly.
>
> My steps are going to be following:
>
> 1. Create definition page and put there my propositions of terms. It
> will be http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracTermsUk
> 2. Create ticket to coordinate the translators work.
> 3. Attach the initial pot-files to the ticket.
> 4. Attach the further pot-file updates as diff patches.
>
> Trac developers will check this ticket out and use attachments for
> updating Ukrainian translation before each string freeze.
>
> Please correct me if I am missing something. Maybe anything else
> should be done?

No, that's perfect. The only thing I should add is that you must be
confident to reach a decent coverage (i.e. above 60%) before taking all
the above steps. Doing all of the above steps to only contribute 5% or
10% of translations in the end would be a waste of everybody's time (we
had such situation in the past, that's why I'm raising this point).

If we see that all goes smooth and you contribute good translations
(judging on the technical correctness of the .po files, we can't of
course judge the quality of the Ukrainian translation itself ;-) ), then
the next step is to grant you commit rights directly to our repository.

> And last one. If anybody wants to contribute in this translation,
> please drop some notes in this thread.

You can also register as a coordinator for your language on Transifex
and coordinate translation work from there, if you'd like to.

-- Christian

Sergii Galashyn

Mar 6, 2011, 5:59:49 PM3/6/11
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Hello Christian,

Finally we've got the 100% (at this moment) translation ready in Transifex.

I have a couple of additional questions.

Should I proceed with any additional steps to make sure language is added into the 0.13?

What about 0.12? Will it be affected by stuff from Transifex, or we're late on this train?

I realize that I still should (or have) create the wiki for terms, gonna do this soon, but I suppose this should not stop the translation from being added into the release.

Thanks!
-sg

Sergii Galashyn

Nov 30, 2011, 5:17:42 PM11/30/11
to trac...@googlegroups.com
[en] I just want to post update for people who wants to help with Ukrainian translation that we have a group on Transifex https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/trac/team/uk/ -- please join us there. Thanks.

[uk] Просто хотів залишити нагадування для тих, хто бажає долучитися до українського перекладу, що ми маємо групу на Transifex https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/trac/team/uk/ -- приєднуйтесь до нас там, будь ласка. Дякую.

P.S. Гадаю, цю гілку найлегше знайти через веб-пошук, тож ще додам кілька ключових слів: «Trac українська мова переклад» :)

Steffen Hoffmann

Nov 30, 2011, 7:41:38 PM11/30/11
to trac...@googlegroups.com

Sergii Galashyn

Dec 1, 2011, 5:20:15 PM12/1/11
to trac...@googlegroups.com
I thought about this, but there are couple of problems:

1. Currently I am translating only software I am personally using, and this doesn't happen with Trac plugins much... At least, this keeps the door open for me -- I may need some plugins sooner or later :)

2. There are only two of us so far and we simply cannot guarantee the good work pace. I dislike doing such things partially, this is worse than not doing them at all.

Still, thanks for the proposition, Steffen. I've applied for the team and will try to check what can be done.

Cheers,
-sg