TortoiseSVN -> Add - Not Including Sub-File/Folders

Steven O'Keefe

Jan 16, 2015, 10:30:25 AM1/16/15
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I'm currently having an issues using a file explored to do a TortoiseSVN -> Add for new projects I want to add to source control. When I first installed TortoiseSVN on my new laptop in September of last year, it worked fine.

When I got to "TortoiseSVN -> Add" from a file explorer a new project into my "Projects" folder, the dialog only includes the folder I clicked on, no sub files/folders are included. I have also tried via command line to add, with the same result. The only way I can add an entire folder and all it's contents, is to go into each folder individually, select all files and folders, and add/commit them. As you can tell, a folder with a ton of sub folders is quite annoying.

I just updated to the latest version of TortoiseSVN (1.8.10.26129), hopeing it would fix it, and it didn't. I'm hesitant to report a bug because this seems very basic, but I can't seem to find any settings that are off, and my Google searches haven't found me anything.

Does anyone have an idea of what might have gone on. I haven't (knowingly at least), changed any of my SVN settings from the original install, and the same issue is happening with a colleague out in the UK. One setting that i see relates (maybe?) to this is the "Recurse into un-versioned folders" in the Dialogs 2 settings section, but this is checked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Simon Large

Jan 16, 2015, 10:43:30 AM1/16/15
On 16 January 2015 at 15:30, Steven O'Keefe <sok...@apiheattransfer.com> wrote:
> I'm currently having an issues using a file explored to do a TortoiseSVN -> Add for new projects I want to add to source control. When I first installed TortoiseSVN on my new laptop in September of last year, it worked fine.
>
> When I got to "TortoiseSVN -> Add" from a file explorer a new project into my "Projects" folder, the dialog only includes the folder I clicked on, no sub files/folders are included. I have also tried via command line to add, with the same result. The only way I can add an entire folder and all it's contents, is to go into each folder individually, select all files and folders, and add/commit them. As you can tell, a folder with a ton of sub folders is quite annoying.
>
> I just updated to the latest version of TortoiseSVN (1.8.10.26129), hopeing it would fix it, and it didn't. I'm hesitant to report a bug because this seems very basic, but I can't seem to find any settings that are off, and my Google searches haven't found me anything.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what might have gone on. I haven't (knowingly at least), changed any of my SVN settings from the original install, and the same issue is happening with a colleague out in the UK. One setting that i see relates (maybe?) to this is the "Recurse into un-versioned folders" in the Dialogs 2 settings section, but this is checked.

The default is always to recurse into subfolders. Have you checked the
ignore settings, either the global ignores in TSVN->Settings or the
svn:ignore or svn:global-ignores properties? Maybe you have an ignore
pattern of * set somewhere.

Simon

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3094367

Steven O'Keefe

Jan 16, 2015, 11:02:14 AM1/16/15
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Simon,

I never went into the "Global ignore pattern" and changed anything, and it's currently set as: "*.o *.lo *.la *.al .libs *.so *.so.[0-9]* *.a *.pyc *.pyo __pycache__ *.rej *~ #*# .#* .*.swp .DS_Store" I assume that's the default?

But I did just go into properties of my projects folder, and there is a property called:

svn:global-ignores with a value of *

Are you saying that could be the issue? If so, what is the default setting for the properties, should I have any in there? I'm not quite certain how it got there.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3094368

Steven O'Keefe

Jan 16, 2015, 11:08:57 AM1/16/15
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Simon,

Thanks a bunch, that was it. I'm not sure how that property was added, maybe a developer put it on there and cascaded it recursively throughout the folders. I'm all good now!

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3094369

Ben Fritz

Jan 16, 2015, 11:52:23 AM1/16/15

On Friday, January 16, 2015, Steven O'Keefe <sok...@apiheattransfer.com> wrote:

But I did just go into properties of my projects folder, and there is a property called:

svn:global-ignores with a value of *

Are you saying that could be the issue?

That is definitely the issue. This property says NO unversioned file or folder will EVER appear in the check for modifications, nor will "Add" ever add it automatically. That's a terrible setting to have globally, though sometimes appropriate for individual directories.

If so, what is the default setting for the properties, should I have any in there? I'm not quite certain how it got there.

 That property is not set at all by default, I think.

Gavin Lambert

Jan 19, 2015, 11:34:48 PM1/19/15
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
On 17/01/2015 05:08, Steven O'Keefe quoth:
> Thanks a bunch, that was it. I'm not sure how that property was
> added, maybe a developer put it on there and cascaded it recursively
> throughout the folders. I'm all good now!

svn:global-ignores is automatically recursive (that's why it's "global").

The most like way that it got there is that someone right-clicked a file without any extension and selected TortoiseSVN -> SVN Ignore -> * (recursively), and then committed this.

You can check the log to see who committed that property change, find out what they were actually trying to do, and ask them to be more careful in future. :)

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3094497

Gavin Lambert

Jan 19, 2015, 11:34:54 PM1/19/15
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
On 17/01/2015 05:08, Steven O'Keefe quoth:
> Thanks a bunch, that was it. I'm not sure how that property was
> added, maybe a developer put it on there and cascaded it recursively
> throughout the folders. I'm all good now!

svn:global-ignores is automatically recursive (that's why it's "global").

The most like way that it got there is that someone right-clicked a file without any extension and selected TortoiseSVN -> SVN Ignore -> * (recursively), and then committed this.

You can check the log to see who committed that property change, find out what they were actually trying to do, and ask them to be more careful in future. :)

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3094498

forcetone

Jul 30, 2020, 10:43:08 AM7/30/20
to TortoiseSVN