Establishing a University of Toronto club

Milan

Jul 27, 2012, 1:47:17 PM7/27/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
At a couple of meetings, the possibility of establishing Toronto 350 as a university club has been raised. Instructions for how to do so at U of T are online.

The biggest hurdle is probably the need to create a club constitution.

Perks of becoming a U of T club include the possibility of getting a university mailing address, a bank account for the group, the ability to access rooms on campus, etc.

Milan

Aug 8, 2012, 7:28:43 PM8/8/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
I have taken a stab at writing a constitution that meets the requirements of the University of Toronto:

http://www.sindark.com/350/Constitution0-1.doc

The requirements are described here.

http://www.sindark.com/350/Guidelines.pdf

I would be very grateful for any feedback. Once we have a draft that looks good, we can formally approve it at one of the weekly planning meetings.

Milan

Aug 8, 2012, 7:30:04 PM8/8/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Here it is as a PDF for those without Microsoft Word:

http://www.sindark.com/350/Constitution0-1.pdf

Milan

Aug 21, 2012, 1:25:06 PM8/21/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
I heard back from Debbie Molnar about our draft constitution. She says that the parts on fees and the amendment procedure are unacceptable, but refuses to tell me why until we formally submit the document.

It's a tricky business to try to correct unidentified errors. In this version, I have specified that fees are $0 and that they can only be changed by a vote at the Annual General Meeting (AGM).

Given that 350 Toronto is a young and changing club, I'd like to be able to retain the ability for the executive to amend the constitution between AGMs. That may be what Ms. Molnar has a problem with, but I don't want to change it until I know for sure.

I have altered the section on amendments to make it clear that the unusual flexibility in this draft is meant to be temporary, while the club is getting established.

New version:

* http://www.sindark.com/350/Constitution0-4.doc
* http://www.sindark.com/350/Constitution0-4.pdf

Milan

Sep 4, 2012, 5:01:40 PM9/4/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
For reference, here are the current rules for U of T clubs:

In order to proceed, you need to read and understand the University's Policy on the Recognition of Campus Groups.

[THE POLICY]

Voluntary organizations formed by members of the University community are a traditional part of campus life, and contribute in a significant way to its intellectual, political, social and cultural diversity and richness. In its relations with these organizations, the University is guided by a commitment to the right of University members to communicate and to discuss and explore all ideas, to organize groups for any lawful purpose, to move about the University and to use its facilities in any reasonable way, to distribute on campus, in a responsible way, published material provided that it is not unlawful, to hold meetings, to debate and to engage in peaceful demonstrations, and to freedom from discrimination on the basis of sex, race or religion. Recognition as a "campus group" is a privilege based upon observance of certain procedures and acceptance of certain responsibilities. It follows that this privilege can be withdrawn if these procedures are neglected or responsibilities abrogated by the organization or group. Under the terms of this policy the University will not attempt to censor, control or interfere with any group on the basis of its philosophy, beliefs, interests or opinions expressed unless and until these lead to activities which are illegal or which infringe the rights and freedoms already mentioned. By the same token, recognition as a "campus group" by the University implies neither endorsement of a particular group's beliefs or philosophy, nor the assumption of legal liability for the group's activities. It assumes only that the University has a responsibility to inform itself of organizations which use its facilities and name and to deny or withdraw recognition if the requirements of this policy are not observed.

1. (a) The University should maintain a policy and mechanism for the recognition of campus organizations. All such organizations wishing to use "University of Toronto" in their names and all groups wishing to claim internal status under the "Policy for the Allocation of Rooms - Extracurricular Bookings" must be recognized.

(b) Responsibility for the maintenance of the policy and mechanism, where campus-wide organizations or organizations drawing members from more than one division or constituency of the University are concerned, should be vested in the University Affairs Board of the Governing Council.

 (c) The responsibility for recognition of organizations drawing members from only one division should rest with the council of that division.

2. Eligibility for recognition should be assessed annually against the following "technical" constitutional areas rather than ideological ones:

(a) The objectives and activities of groups seeking recognition should be seen as attempting to contribute to the educational, recreational, social or cultural values of the University. These values are intended to be interpreted in the broadest sense. However, the essential "value" of the University must remain that of preservation of freedom of enquiry and association.

(b) Recognized campus groups may not engage in activities which are essentially commercial in nature. This is not intended to preclude the collection of membership fees to cover the expenses of the organization, or of charges for specific activities, programs or events, or to prohibit groups from engaging in legitimate fundraising. However, a recognized campus group cannot

(i) Have as a major activity a function that makes it an on-campus part of a commercial organization;

(ii) provide services and goods at a profit when that profit is used for purposes other than those of the organization;

(iii) pay salaries to some or all of its officers.

(c) Membership in groups should be open to all members of the University community without restriction on the grounds of national origin, race, religion, colour, or sex. While discriminatory membership practices are not allowed, it is recognized that certain groups could well be homogeneous in nature without being discriminatory. Status as non-voting members may be extended to interested persons from outside the University.

(d) The University's interest in the constitution is based on its concern that organizations and individuals using its name and its facilities are genuine campus organizations, and that they pursue activities in accordance with the law, and in addition that such things as organizational structure, membership, procedures, rules of conduct, etc. are spelled out so that all members who join a club and take part in its activities may do so with full knowledge of their rights and responsibilities within the group.

(e) Where a group applying for recognition has direct connections with another body outside the University of Toronto, the nature of this connection and the name of the body must be disclosed fully and substantially in the application for recognition.

3. (a) The University will not attempt to monitor or review the activities of a group in the normal course of events. It will however investigate complaints or charges that an organization has acted in a manner that is inconsistent with its constitution or with the requirements of this policy. If these complaints or charges prove to be valid, recognition may be withdrawn. Application for a renewal of recognition may be made at any time after the following September 30.

(b) Responsibility for the implementation of this policy is delegated to the administration. In the case of denial or withdrawal of recognition, a statement of the reasons will be provided. All administrative decisions to grant, deny, or withdraw recognition will be reported regularly to the University Affairs Board for information.

(c) Groups wishing to appeal a decision may do so through the Office of the Assistant Vice-President - Student Affairs. In the event of an appeal, a hearing shall be held by an administrative officer designated by the Assistant Vice-President - Student Affairs not involved in the original decision.

4. Groups seeking recognition should supply the following:

(a) An application in the form prescribed.

(b) The names of two officers and a "contact person" (who could be one of the officers) responsible for all room bookings and rentals of University equipment and services, a mailing address and a telephone number. This information will be considered to be public information.

(c) The total number of members, the size of the governing body (i.e., number of executive officers), and the proportion of members on and off campus at the time of registration.

(d) A copy of the constitution and/or by-laws of the group. Groups meeting the requirements of this policy will be granted recognition for the academic year in which application is made. (For this purpose the academic year is considered to run from October 1 to September 30.) Normally recognition will be renewed automatically in successive academic years upon request by the new executive. If constitutional changes have been proposed the amended constitution should be submitted and will be considered in the course of the renewal process.

5. Applicants for recognition or recognized groups handling extensive funds may be required to submit audited statements annually to the Office of the Assistant Vice-President - Student Affairs. At the discretion of the Assistant Vice-President - Student Affairs groups supplying goods or services for which a charge is made may be required to indicate in all advertising, contractual and other material that the University neither endorses the group's activities nor assumes legal liability in connection with the goods and services provided.

6. Recognized Campus Groups must report to the Assistant Vice-President - Student Affairs the name of the bank, trust company or credit union, the branch, account numbers and signing officers for all bank accounts opened in their name. January 26, 1987 Section 6 approved by the University Affairs Board, February 13th, 1990 Section 2(e) approved by the University Affairs Board, May 25th, 1993 By clicking the button below, you hereby indicate that you have reviewed the above policy and procedures, that you agree to the terms and conditions specified above, and that you are prepared to complete and submit an application for recognition of a campus group at the University of Toronto.

Milan

Sep 4, 2012, 5:16:49 PM9/4/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Also:

  1. The constitution spells out the organizational structure, membership (including termination of membership and the process for appeal to a higher level), general membership and executive meeting procedures, democratic elections and referenda procedures, rules of conduct, process for amending the constitution, etc. for the group so that all members who join a club have full knowledge of their rights and responsibilities within the group.
  2. The constitution outlines the financial procedures of the group and assigns record keeping responsibility to a member of the executive.
  3. Our group's membership is open to all University of Toronto members (including students, staff, faculty and alumni)
  4. If our group welcomes members who are not from U of T, such members do not have the right to nominate, run and vote in elections and referenda.
  5. Group Members will not be discriminated against due to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, creed, age, marital status, family status, handicap, receipt of public assistance or record of offences of that individual or those individuals.

Milan

Sep 8, 2012, 2:05:53 PM9/8/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
I haven't heard anything back since submitting our constitution, but I just noticed that we now have a page on the ULife site:

https://ulife.utoronto.ca/organizations/view/id/21074

Milan

Sep 10, 2012, 11:54:05 AM9/10/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Ulead Conference 2012

The Ulead conference will be taking place on Friday, September 21st from 2:30 pm to 9 pm at Hart House. We will be having workshops on Funding, Sponsorships, Event Planning, Leadership, Resources and lot’s more. We will also have networking events where you will get a chance to connect with other U of T student leaders

There will be free food, and your participation at the conference would help your group to become eligible for office space at 21 Sussex.

For more information, please visit our conference page: www.uoft.me/ulc

If you would like to register for the conference, please visit: www.uoft.me/ulcreg.

NOTE: Registration ends on Monday, September 17th at 11:59 pm.

Milan

Oct 10, 2012, 12:06:48 PM10/10/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Today I met with Roshan Singh from the ULife office. He is responsible for approving club constitutions.

He says that he should get to our constitution during the next couple of weeks. In the mean time, we are considered recognized so that we can apply for funding and book rooms.

If he finds an issue with our constitution, our status might be changed to 'constitution under review'. During that period, we would not be able to book rooms or apply for funding.

He says there isn't a problem with holding an AGM and electing an executive before the club is fully approved, though it is possible that if there are any major problems with the constitution we may need to hold another election.

Once our constitution is approved, we will be able to get a bank account.

If you have any questions for Mr. Singh, I have his email address.

Thanks,

Milan

thugsb

Oct 10, 2012, 9:35:38 PM10/10/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Good job finding that out. I believe it's only you Milan who can book rooms. See #14 here:
It also links to the tool we'll probably have to use to book rooms: http://campusroomfinder.studentlife.utoronto.ca/

Milan

Oct 11, 2012, 9:21:22 AM10/11/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for looking into that.

Hart House might be an especially good place to book rooms, but I think they have their own procedure.

Milan

Oct 21, 2012, 2:16:26 PM10/21/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Regarding recognition, I got this message:

Recognition Renewal Process

With over 500 campus groups, we are currently reviewing all submitted/revised applications for! recognition as quickly as possible. Due to the high volume of applications the process is taking a bit longer than expected.

We would like to notify all groups that if you have not received a confirmation email from groups....@utoronto.ca stating that your group has been recognized then your group currently has Conditional Recognition status. This means that your group’s constitution review is pending, and during this time you have access to book rooms, apply for funding and utilize other resources that are provided to recognized campus groups.

By mid November 2012, your group’s status on Ulife may change from Recognized to Constitution under review and this is because we require some edits to be made to your constitution in order to provide you with Full Recognition Status. During this time, your group will be unable to book rooms and acce ss other resources that are provided to recognized groups. This status will only change once we have you group’s constitution meets university policy and guidelines.

We regret the inconvenience this may cause and, if you have any questions please email groups....@utoronto.ca.

pres...@toronto350.org

Feb 5, 2013, 6:43:03 PM2/5/13
to toron...@googlegroups.com
If our executives collectively accumulate 6 'points' we can apply for office space at U of T:

CASAS Office Space Applications

Think your group's impact on campus would be enhanced with an office space? Apply for an office space to the Committee to Allocate Student Activity Space (CASAS). There are eligibility requireme! nts in that your group leaders will need to have participated in Ulead sessions. Office space is a two-year agreement with responsibilities. Information sessions about the CASAS Applications are now open for registration. Applications are due April 1, 2013.

For details, visit http://uoft.me/officespace

Milan

Feb 8, 2013, 1:08:28 AM2/8/13
to toron...@googlegroups.com
We have been approved as a U of T club:

Hello!

Congratulations, this email is to notify you that your group has been recognized by U of T Office of Student Life, via the Ulife website, effective immediately (based on the Policy on the Recognition of Campus Groups). The group's recognition will expire on September 30, 2013, and remember that your group must renew its recognition annually online at Ulife.

If you have any questions about different services your group could access at the St. George campus then please visit our Ulife FAQ. Alternatively, you can contact the Ulife and Ulead Service Centre at groups....@utoronto.ca or call 416-946-7780. Our Office Hours are Monday-Thursday 12 to 6 pm and Friday 12 to 5 pm. These hours are subject to change, so please check the Ulife website for the most updated information regarding our office hours.

P.S. This is not a formal letter of recognition. Letters are available upon request provided that your group's Ulife profile is updated accurately.

Now, we should start the process of getting a bank account.

pres...@toronto350.org

Mar 6, 2013, 6:40:03 PM3/6/13
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Updates from U of T:

Ulead Leadership Workshops: Winter 2013

The Ulead program is aimed to help you develop your leadership skills to build effective stud! ent groups. In participating in Ulead, your group may become eligible for office space. To find out more about office space, visit http://uoft.me/officespace

The final set of leadership workshops taking place in March are listed here:

Motivating or Managing my Team

Tuesday, March 12th, 2pm to 3:30pm

Public Speaking

Thursday, March 14th, 6pm to 7:30pm

Leadership Transition

Thursday, March 7th, 6pm to 7:30pm

Tuesday, March 19th, 2pm to 3:30pm

Thursday, March 21st, 6pm to 7:30pm

More details and registration is available at www.ulead.utoronto.ca. Questions regarding the program can be directed to Asim A shraf (Coordinator, Campus Organization Services, Office of Student Life) at asim....@utoronto.ca. All students and student leaders of the University of Toronto are welcome!

Note: Student leaders can be part of student clubs (i.e. recognized campus groups), student societies, unions or councils from Mississauga, Scarborough or St. George campus! You may also just wish to come as a general student as well, with a note that the workshops are aimed at student leaders at U of T St. George. All U of T students are welcome!

 CASAS Office Space Applications

Think your group's impact on campus would be enhanced with an office space? Apply for an office space to the Committee to Allocate Student Activity Space (CASAS). There are eligibility requirements in that your group l! eaders will need to have participated in Ulead sessions. Office space is a two-year agreement with responsibilities.

Information sessions about the CASAS Applications are now open for registration. Applications are due April 1, 2013. No late applications will be accepted!

For details, visit http://uoft.me/officespace.

Ulead Appreciation Night

The Ulead program for 2012 to 2013 is coming to a close. You've worked hard as a student leader and the U of T Office of Student Life would like to spend an evening to congratulate all the student leaders on their contribution to campus. This will also be a chance to meet and greet some of the facilitators who have helped to deliver the program, but also to meet other student leaders who've given it their all this past ! year! We are also excited to have student leaders of University of Tor onto Television to help host and deliver this event celebrating your success as leaders on campus!

Please save the date and location.

Ulead Appreciation Night
Thursday, April 11th, from 5pm to 7pm
Hart House, Music Room