Climate fast

Milan

Sep 14, 2012, 5:13:30 PM9/14/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
I got a comment on a website I run suggesting that Toronto 350.org endorse an upcoming climate fast:

http://www.climatefast.ca/

The main fast is taking place on Parliament Hill, in Ottawa.

Perhaps at next Tuesday's meeting (or here on the forum) we can discuss if and how we would like to participate.

All the best,

Milan

Milan

Sep 15, 2012, 1:47:24 PM9/15/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
More info:

CLIMATE FAST AND VIGIL - SEPT 21 - OCT 2, on Parliament Hill and across the country:

Hungry for Climate Leadership will hold a Canada-wide Climate Fast and Vigil, centered at Parliament Hill, Ottawa, from September 21, 2012, to October 2, 2012. Our purpose is to call for the Canadian Government to take action now to do its part to mitigate the climate change crisis, the greatest threat to our children's future.

The math of climate change is this: if we dig up and use the remaining fossil fuels we will cook the planet.  We need to be transitioning to renewables and we need to take action fast.   See Bill McKibben's article in the Rolling Stone for details.   http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/global-warmings-terrifying-new-math-20120719

For details about  the Climate Fast and how you can participate, go to www.climatefast.ca. There, you can make a pledge and support our initiatives. The basic ask is for a letter to your MP, and there is a sample letter on the website.
Comments or questions?  Contact us by email at clima...@climatefast.ca  To volunteer, call 416 731 6605. Join us to make a difference!

Milan

Sep 15, 2012, 1:47:47 PM9/15/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
FAST AND VIGIL FOR CLIMATE JUSTICE, 2, INVITATION,.doc

Monica Resendes

Sep 16, 2012, 12:32:42 PM9/16/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Sounds interesting... you don't happen to know where they found you??

Milan

Sep 17, 2012, 9:07:18 AM9/17/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Through my personal website, I think. That's where they first made contact.

Milan

Sep 25, 2012, 5:22:30 PM9/25/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Received by email:

Dear supporter,

Thanks very much for pledging your support for the Climate Fast.

We know that an effective response to climate change is urgently needed, and
we know that turning around the ‘business as usual’ scenario is a
challenge that needs us all.

Will you reach out to your family and friends and encourage them to join us?
Do you know any other organizations that could help to promote the Climate
Fast?

Our ask is simply a letter. You may also wish to join us by holding a
candlelight vigil on Sept 21st, or Oct 2nd, the start and end of our fast on
Parliament Hill.  Or hold a film showing on any date in between. Or join us
for a day of fasting.  September 26th is a significant date as it is the
anniversary of last year’s climate action on Parliament Hill that saw 200
people risk arrest.  September 21st is the International Day of Peace, and
October 2nd is the International Day of Nonviolence, and Gandhi’s birthday.

At any event you hold, just ask folks to write a letter anytime from now to
October 2nd.  Send a copy to the clima...@climatefast.ca so we will know
that this letter has gone and we can count it.

We owe it to our children and to all living beings to preserve a livable
planet for the future.

Lyn Adamson, for the Climate Fast and Vigil
This conversation is locked