Other Toronto groups working on climate

Milan

Jun 28, 2012, 10:49:25 AM6/28/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
There are a number of groups in Toronto already active on climate change.

We should work to collaborate with them, and to avoid duplicating their efforts.

One group that seems to be doing especially good work is the Citizens Climate Lobby. Their non-confrontational approach focuses on building relationships with elected officials and the media and becoming a trusted channel for information about climate change.

They meet once a month, usually the first Saturday (holiday dependent) from 12:45-2:30 PM ET on an international teleconference call, which features a keynote speaker. Past keynotes have included Lester Brown and Dr. James Hansen. Group leaders meet every Tuesday night for an international teleconference call at 8 PM ET.

Milan

Jun 28, 2012, 11:36:33 AM6/28/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
While it isn't in Toronto, the 350.org group at the University of British Columbia seems to be quite active. It could give us some ideas, especially with regard to campus outreach at U of T, Ryerson, York, etc.

Milan

Jun 28, 2012, 1:15:36 PM6/28/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Tamara created a list of Toronto climate groups in Google Docs:

Toronto Urban Climate Change Network
  • research

Citizens’ Climate Lobby
  • lobbying, meeting with MPs, parliamentary petitions, letter-writing

Climate Action Network
  • advocacy, online activism (social media, petitions, letter-writing)

Voters Taking Action on Climate Change
  • community-based advocacy, letter-writing, meeting with MPS

Ontario Sustainable Energy Association
  • education, advocacy, lobbying (clean energy, not strictly climate change)

Clean Air Partnership
  • community engagement, inter-governmental working groups and summits

Environmental Defence
  • online advocacy (letter writing, petitions), lobbying

Canadian Youth Climate Coalition
  • climate advocacy/organizer workshops, lobbying, direct action

Council of Canadians
  • petitions, letter-writing, direct action

OPIRG - Environmental Justice Toronto
  • demonstrations, education

Milan

Aug 10, 2012, 9:24:57 PM8/10/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
The Citizens' Climate Lobby just had a big conference in Washington. A report based on the conference is available online:

http://citizensclimatelobby.org/files/images/CCLupdate0812.pdf

Milan

Sep 4, 2012, 7:00:33 PM9/4/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
I received this follow-up email from the people who organized the recent Climate Action Summit:

The summit is over and a sub-group has been formed to proceed with a followup plan. We sent the minutes to those who registered for the summit. If you did not receive them, please send us a message and we will forward them to you. In summary, the decision was to focus on three asks - stopping fossil fuels, putting a price on carbon and developing a Canadian energy plan. The sub-group proposes to form a chapter of the Climate Action Network and schedule lobbying of GTA MPs during the week of November 12-16.

However, some of the committee want to have more immediate action to emphasize the necessity of taking action to mitigate climate change and the lack of urgency demonstrated by the Harper government. We would like to conduct daily protests in public areas of the GTA … e.g. outside Joe Oliver's constituency office, or City Hall … or the Financial District … other suggestions welcome. The plan is to use sandwich boards for our message(s) and hand out bookmarks to passers by.

You don't need to commit to daily protests … any time you can spare will be great.

Please send a message to sum...@dosomethingaboutit.ca if you would like to participate

Milan

Sep 17, 2012, 11:33:44 AM9/17/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
There is a green jobs forum today that might be of interest:

Would you like to work in the environmental sector (if you don't already)? Are you curious to know what it takes to be part of the ever-expanding green economy? Do you just want to get more involved?

On September 17th, join Environmental Defence, Blue Green Canada and 30+ other organisations at the Green Jobs Forum at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. Admission is free. Throughout the day, there will be over 50 speakers from various fields addressing career opportunities in the environmental sector.

Environmental Defence will be on hand to talk you about ways to get involved and Blue Green Canada will be there to talk about green job creation in the renewable energy sector.

What: Green Jobs Forum
When: September 17th, 10am – 7pm
Where: Metro Toronto Convention Centre, North Building
Admission: Free. You can register online now and select speaker sessions.

Want to get more involved right away? Contact us if you'd like to volunteer at the Environmental Defence booth.

Milan

Sep 25, 2012, 5:32:23 PM9/25/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Global Warming & Human Security: Food & Water: Thurs Sept 27: 7-9pm

Join Science for Peace for a FREE public lecture on Global Warming and Human Security: Food and Water, by Prof. Danny Harvey. This lecture is part of a weekly series entitled Vital Discussions of Human Security.

The lecture will take place on September 27th, 7-9pm, at University College (15 King's College Circle), room 144. More information and videos from past lectures: www.scienceforpeace.ca/events

Milan

Sep 26, 2012, 11:03:09 AM9/26/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
* October 3rd, 2012
* 6:30pm
* 25 Cecil Street (Steelworkers Hall), Toronto

Could someone post this on our Facebook page?
women-tar-sands.jpg

Milan

Sep 27, 2012, 7:48:38 AM9/27/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
I got this from Cheryl McNamara, at the Citizens Climate Lobby:

Hi all,

This was brought to my attention. I feel it deserves swift action on our part, and won't take any time at all. Megan Leslie, NDP Environment critic is urging the Speaker of the House to consider an emergency debate on the dramatic loss of ice in the Arctic this summer.

I request that we all email the Speaker, providing one or two sentences in your own words that you support Ms. Leslie's call, followed by her request below. Please copy your MP and key officials.

Emails:

Speaker of the House - Andrew Scheer - andrew...@parl.gc.ca

Copy:

Your MP
Kirsty Duncan - kirsty...@parl.gc.ca
Megan Leslie - megan....@parl.gc.ca
Peter Kent - peter...@parl.gc.ca
Elizabeth May - Elizab...@parl.gc.ca
Stephen Harper - stephen...@parl.gc.ca

Remember to include your full name and address.

Dear Mr. Speaker:

I am writing to you to give notice under Standing Order 52(2) that I will be seeking leave on Wednesday, September 26, 2012 to propose an emergency debate on the dramatic loss of ice in the Arctic this summer, which reached the lowest levels recorded in recent history, a level significantly below the previous recent low recorded in 2007.

Scientists around the planet have voiced their concern since the reports of the dramatic melting of arctic ice this summer were made public in recent days. They describe the degree of melt as having reached an emergency level, with ice levels at 50 percent of the averages that were recorded between 1979 and 2000. In fact, some scientists are predicting that, based on this latest data, the arctic will be ice-free during the summer months within the next decade.

This troubling trend has been linked directly to man-made climate change, a fact admitted by the Environment Minister last week.

Warming arctic waters will affect the globe’s weather patterns, leading to more extreme weather, including flooding, heat waves and drought. It is important to note that less arctic ice means that the uncovered arctic waters will warm exponentially faster from the sun’s rays, melting more ice and raising water levels to disastrous results.

While arctic melt has been a topic of discussion for many years now, the recent marked acceleration of the melt this summer makes it an urgent and pressing national policy issue, particularly given that Canada will take over as chair of the Arctic Council in 2013. Canadians, through their elected representatives, must be given the opportunity to discuss the crucial next steps.

Therefore, an emergency debate is required in order to allow parliamentarians to address the significant domestic and international consequences of the significant arctic melt, including, but not limited to, arctic sovereignty, national security, arctic fisheries and ecosystems, resource development, and the rights of indigenous peoples.

Arctic temperature rise is an urgent cause for concern for northern residents who rely on the sea ice for hunting and survival, and on frozen ground for overland transport of food and the necessities of life for much of the year. If this trend continues, it will have profound effects which require an emergency plan.

This government has stated the north is a priority; the safety and security of its people must be considered by parliamentarians.

Mr. Speaker, this matter simply cannot wait. The consequences of the warming cycle and melting of arctic ice will be numerous and it behoves parliamentarians to have an immediate and in-depth discussion about prevention, mitigation and adaptation.

I thank you for your careful consideration of this application.

Sincerely,

Megan Leslie, MP for Halifax

Environment Critic for the Official Opposition

Sierra Club Canada 613 291 6888

Milan

Sep 29, 2012, 8:39:41 PM9/29/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Renewable Energy Lectures and Grad Lunch: Oct 15-16

On Monday, October 15 there will be two public lectures by Prof. Mark Jacobson from Stanford on renewable energy. Professor Jacobson looks forward to engaging his audience on issues surrounding renewable energy and how we move towards 100 percent renewables. Attendance is free and is open to the public. Register via the form below to ensure your place. All remaining places on the date of the event will be available on a first-come-first-serve basis. Monday, October 15, 4-6pm at University College, room 140 University College, room 140; 7:30-9:30pm at Bahen, room 1180.

For more information and to register, visit: www.scienceforpeace.ca/a-plan-to-power-100-percent-of-the-planet-with-renewables-by-mark-z-jacobson-stanford or www.eventbrite.ca/event/4423013352/eorgf

On Tuesday, October 16 there will be a student lunch hosted by the Graduate Students' Union Sustainability Committee and Science for Peace. Lunch will be from 1-3:30pm at University College, room 248. Space is limited to 26, so be sure to sign up here:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dDdvTUJ1ZWxvZFV2NHVLZzJoMy1tekE6MQ or email: pieter....@gmail.com.

Milan

Sep 29, 2012, 8:40:22 PM9/29/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Students Climate Action Network is Recruiting Animators: deadline Sun Sept 30

Students Climate Action Network (StudentsCAN) is recruiting 16 Toronto area undergraduate and graduate student 'Animators' to support students' climate change action projects in Toronto high schools.

Working in partnership with the TDSB's Students for Environmental Progress (STEP), Animators will help EcoTeams develop and implement climate change initiatives with a 'Do It Yourself' theme. Projects developed with the schools could range from 'Bike Repair 101' to 'Low Carbon Cooking' or sewing projects - it all depends on your interests and ideas as an Animator and the students you'll be working with. All projects will be showcased at STEP's DIY Youth Summit in May 2013.

If you are interested in this program, send an email with your resume and a paragraph outlining why you would like to join the program to: Bryan Eelhart, StudentsCAN Coordinator, at s...@physics.utoronto.ca. Application deadline: September 30th, 2012. Interviews: early October

Milan

Oct 1, 2012, 5:20:13 PM10/1/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Hello! As an active environmentally-conscious student group on the University of Toronto campus, we would like to invite you to participate in the 14th national Sierra youth Coalition Sustainable Campuses Conference, happening at University of Toronto Mississauga from October 11th to 14th. We know that you represent the views of your student members, and as a national, student-led conference, it is important for us to hear from you.
Registration is still open at http://sustainablecampuses.ca/pages/registration-page
There is a registration fee which helps cover the costs associated with a national event, but please let me know if this is a hindrance to your participation as other arrangements can be made.

Check out our website for our extraordinary line-up of workshops and activities! Of special note, we are making our Keynote Address by world renowned water activist Maude Barlow a public lecture!!

Please take advantage of this great opportunity: students from across the country will be meeting in your backyard to problem solve campus sustainability problems! Make sure not to miss out on a chance to represent your group on a national stage!! Attached you will find posters for the conference and the Keynote Address.

Best,
Zena
--
Zena Wright | Sustainable Campuses Conferences Coordinator, Coordonnatrice des conférences du Campus durables

Sierra Youth Coalition, Coalition jeunesse Sierra
1 Nicholas St, Suite #412, K1N 7B7
Ottawa, Ontario

Ph:      (613) 241-1615
Fax:     (613) 241-2292

Web: http://sustainablecampuses.ca/      http://campusdurables.ca/

Twitter:  SierraYouth
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/SierraYouthCoalition

SAVE THE DATE
The Healthy Campus; Sierra Youth Coalition's Sustainable Campuses Conference is happening on October 11th to the 14th!
EN Poster2 final_SYC Sust. Campuses Conference.pdf
Maude Barlow Keynote Address.pdf

Milan

Oct 7, 2012, 5:38:38 PM10/7/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
It would probably be a good idea for us to get in touch with this group: www.scienceforpeace.ca

Milan

Oct 19, 2012, 3:15:44 PM10/19/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
"Hi CCL Canada:

This is the weekend we conduct CCL's October Action: Flash Phone Mob Finance Minister Jim Flaherty regarding fossil fuel subsidies and then follow it up with an email to Minister Flaherty and your MP. The timing could not have been better for this Flash Mob because the Conservatives  tabled their lastest omnibus  budget bill this week! http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Everything+from+Indian+Canada+Labour+Code+altered+latest+omnibus/7411546/story.html

However, because the budget bill has been tabled,I have had to alter the suggested script. Please check below my sign-off or the attached documents for the new script.

And why the weekend you may ask?  because a politician said that they find it unnerving to open voice mail on Monday morning and the box is full of messages.

I did phone Minister Flaherty's Ottawa phone number as a test the weekend of September 29th to make sure it did have voicemail and it does. However, if there are problems with Minister Flaherty's voicemail, do try his Toronto number and if necessary just phone Ottawa Monday morning.

Most of all have fun! It will only take 10-15 minutes of your time tomorrow ...  I know from experience, you will most likely feel empowered and energized after you do. Getting out of our comfort zones is where life begins

  ... and if you have a moment .. respond to this email and tell me if you actually did leave a message and how you felt right afterwards .. (by responding to this email - I can keep track of all you are doing in one place in my email box and that saves me a huge amount of time)

Thanks for being on the journey from me to we!

Cathy

PS. After reading this, are you still feeling uncomfortable to phone the Minister? Just remember that the politicians work for us afterall .. We are their bosses."

Milan

Jan 10, 2013, 7:36:17 PM1/10/13
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Attached are minutes from their January 5th meeting, along with a draft of their Strategic Plan.
Jan 5 2013 meeting minutes.doc
Jan 5 2013 meeting minutes.pdf
Draft strategic plan.pdf

Milan

Jan 15, 2013, 2:44:43 PM1/15/13
to toron...@googlegroups.com
We have been asked to endorse this upcoming event. It will be discussed at tonight's meeting:

Dear ally,

350.org and environmental justice groups in the States have called for a day of cross-border action against Eastern tar sands pipelines.  You may have heard that Rising Tide Toronto was planning a "No Line 9" rally in the Yonge and Finch area.  However, due to capacity issues and a large labour rally on the same day, we are instead focusing efforts on mobilizing a "No Line 9" block at the OFL Rally for Rights and Democracy (1pm, Allan Gardens, https://www.facebook.com/events/489963847693178/).  If your organization is interested in supporting a No Line 9 and Indigenous Rights block at the OFL rally, please let us know and we'll list your group as an endorser on our Facebook event page (coming soon).  Please also let us know of other groups that we should do outreach to.  We will also be hosting a teach-in following the rally to train and mobilize people to canvass against Line 9.  More information on that to come.  Thank you in advance for your support.

*Draft* call-out:

No Line 9 block at Rally for Rights and Democracy

Where: Allan Gardens (Jarvis & Carleton)

When: Jan. 26th, 1 pm

Allies in the U.S. North-East have called for a day of cross-border action against Eastern tar sands pipelines and we are responding with a "No Line 9" block at the OFL Rally for Rights and Democracy (https://www.facebook.com/events/489963847693178/).  Rising Tide Toronto is calling all allies to stand with communities and say No to Line 9

Enbridge Inc is planning to pump toxic tar sands bitumen through 40 year-old Line 9 by as early as next year. The use of the pipeline will result in 300,000 barrels of increased flow of bitumen to chemical valley, located on Aamjiwnaang First Nation lands, declared the most polluted place in North America by the World Health Organization. From chemical valley to Montreal, Line 9 passes within 50 km of an estimated 9.1 million people, including 99 towns and 18 First Nation communities, and runs directly through the Haldimand Tract on unceded Haudenosaunee territory. In Toronto, Line 9 passes through the most racialized communities in the city.

The tar sands are the most destructive project to Mother Earth. On Jan 9th, Federal scientists confirmed what First Nation peoples have been saying for decades: the tar sands are toxic, carcinogenic, and cause extreme changes to wildlife and people's health (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/01/07/pol-oilsands-alberta-lakes-pollution-pah.html).  Community members from Wet'su'wet'en, Beaver Lake Cree, Lubicon, Fort Chipewyan, Fort McMurray, Aamjiwnaang, Six Nations, and Kalamazoo have all testified on the gross violations of democratic, environmental, and human rights of tar sands expansion. Please take action with us now, and let communities know that tar sands will not pass through Toronto.

#NoLine9

A teach-in on doing outreach about Line 9 will be held after the march. More info on that to follow shortly.

Milan

Jan 19, 2013, 7:01:57 PM1/19/13
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Present from 350: Monica, Neal, Amelia Rose, Stuart, Milan

Global Warming "Futures"

W. Richard Peltier
Professor of Physics - Atmospheric Physics and Geophysics
Department of Physics
University of Toronto

'Bambi meets Godzilla'
* CC not just moving the goalposts, but could be a game-changer
* Risks undermining other human efforts
* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-wUdetAAlY

The active sun and the amplification of its power by the greenhouse effect

Climate change not well presented in the popular press
* "Leaves the public with the impression that the debate is equally joined on all sides"
* Confidence well above the 95% level, verging on the 99% level

Forthcoming IPCC AR5
* Coming out next month

Three main radially active gases: CO2, CH4, N2O
* Ongoing rise triggered by coal-burning during Industrial Revolution
* Planet radiates longwave radiation into space - Some emitted energy captured by greenhouse gases, some emitted back to the Earth's surface
* This is at the heart of the enhanced greenhouse effect

'Hockey stick' graph from the IPCC AR3
* https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Hockey_stick_chart_ipcc_large.jpg
* Michael Mann initially 'widely pilloried' for this chart
* US Senate demanded that he "provide his software"

What is the source of this temperature data?
* Reconstruction based on proxy data: width of tree rings, sedimentation in deep lakes near the tropics and poles, forams, corals
* Transfer function exists between the measure in each proxy and the temperature

Over the last 150 years, the temperature has risen to well above any temperature observed for at least the last 1000 years

How can scientists be confident in this temperature and CO2 record?
* There is a very strong correlation between mean global temperature and CO2 concentration

Jump in CO2 caused by fossil fuel burning and land use change (deforestation, land-clearing for agriculture)

Around 20,000 years ago, there were massive concentrations of land ice around the poles
* Extended from coast of arctic ocean almost down to the present US-Canada border
* 4km deep
* Last glacial maximum
* During this time, GHGs were much lower in concentration than subsequently
* Deglaciation was over about 10,000 years ago - beginning of the Holocene

During the last 150 years, there has been a spike in CO2 and the other trace gases

Data from ice cores
* CO2, CH4, and N2O, temperature
* Vostok ice core: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_core#Vostok
* Gas measurements from centimetre thick core segments made in France, after being melted in vacuum
* Snow eventually gets so compacted in the ice sheet that it is no longer in contact with the atmosphere
* We now have cores that go back over 800,000 years

Every 100,000 years, there is a characteristic shape to the changes in concentration of GHGs
* Continuous glaciation and deglaciation in the northern hemisphere
* During glaciation, CO2 has a positive feedback on cooling, accelerating the process
* During times of warming, CO2 has a positive feedback relationship with warming

Ice core measurements match up exactly with more recent instrumented measurement
* This means our 800,000 year record is equivalent to a person with modern equipment sitting at Vostok and collecting data across this whole span

Why do the measurements from this site reflect global concentrations?
* GHGs are well mixed in the atmosphere

This was "a phenomenal discovery in Earth science"
* "This Earth has been remembering what has been happening to it"

'''Observations of Warming in Time and Space and at the Poles'''

The GRACE satellites
* Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment mission: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_Recovery_and_Climate_Experiment

Since industrialization, the mean surface temperature has increased by about 0.8˚C
* There was a pause between about 1940 and 1970
* Why?
* "Very well understood consequence of competing interactions in the climate system"
* Main one: atmospheric aerosols: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_particulate_matter
* Mostly have a cooling effect, because they reflect shortwave radiation directly back into space

ENSO events also have an impact: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ni%C3%B1o%E2%80%93Southern_Oscillation
* Result of air-sea interaction

Warming of the surface has varied between regions
* Clear on decadal scales, compared to the 1940-1970 period
* More warming over land than over oceans, at an increasing rate
* "Very clearly understood - completely unarguable"
* Heat capacity of land is less than that of oceans, so there is more warming for any particular energy input
* Land and ocean in high northern latitudes - near the north pole - warming much more rapidly than the rest of the Earth's surface
* One cause: albedo feedback
* White ice reflects shortwave radiation directly back into space

Continental Ice-Sheets and Glaciers in the Modern Climate System: Polar "Canaries"
* Warming in northern Canada 2.5X the warming on the planet's surface as a whole - "polar amplification"
* Antarctica contains enough ice to raise global sea level by about 70 m - 230 feet
* Greenland could raise global sea levels by 7 - 7.5m

There has been great interest in monitoring changes to land ice
* GRACE satellites - almost polar orbit, over 100km between them
* Distance between measured via microwave link
* Accurate to the width of a human hair, made interferometrically
* Future project will use lasers and increase accuracy by an order of magnitude

Data from GRACE
* Over the entire Canadian landmass, there is an increasing amount of mass below the satellite - not a result of ice sheets
* Consequence of icostatic rebound: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-glacial_rebound
* Land that was pushed down by icesheets during last ice age is slowly bouncing back
* There are also changes in surface hydrology - water trapped in soil layers - one consequence of ongoing climate change
* Global Land Data Simulation Scheme

We can isolate the data on changing ice sheets from the changes from isostatic rebound

We can translate gravity measures of ice loss into measures of global sea level rise
* Greenland - about 0.6mm per year
* Antarctica - data must also be corrected for ancient ice age influence - 2 regions known to be losing ice (including Amundsen sea) - delivers 0.3-0.4mm / year of global sea level rise

Climate models are mathematical structures that comprehensively include the atmosphere, oceans, sea ice, and land biosphere
* Typical models now very comprehensive
* Based on large set of partial differential equations, solved on a very fine grid
* Studying evolution of the mean properties of the system over long timescales

Many people in the climate denial industry raise issues about models
* Recent Senate hearing in Ottawa - 4 of the more prominent climate deniers invited to participate by the government
* "They never studied second-year physics"
* Argued that water vapour is the most important GHG
* "At the heart of a lot of the ignorance that populates the discussion in the climate change debate"
* You need to distinguish between prime movers and feedbacks
* Clapeyron-Clausius relation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clausius%E2%80%93Clapeyron_relation
* Warmer air holds more water

Projecting future climate change requires making an assumption about what future emissions will be
* This is a public policy issue
* The IPCC SRES scenarios: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Report_on_Emissions_Scenarios
* A2 scenario usually referred to as business-as-usual
* A1B, modest policy intervention to try to reduce the amount of warming (not enough to stabilize at 350ppm)
* B1 is a scenario that should keep us below 2˚C

Two of the most important messages
* 16 different national models run out to 2300 for the IPCC AR4
* Based on different scenarios between 2000 and 2100
* Not much difference until beyond mid-century, between different emission pathways
* This has a big impact on the political process - politicians not concerned about conditions in 30 years
* "there is no incentive here for rapid action"
* After 2070 "the differences become very significant"

2˚C probably isn't the 'must not rise above' temperature, but speaker doesn't know exactly where it is
* Uncertainty about feedbacks

Attribution of the enhanced greenhouse effect
* Comparing models that eliminate the rise of GHGs from others where historical data is used
* Observed temperatures follow the GHG model, not the one that ignores them
* Clear starting between 1960s and 70s - signal rose above noise
* https://www.sindark.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/ccattribution.PNG

Downscaling for Ontario:
* Projections for 2050 based on A2 and A1B
* By end-century, mean temperature up by about 5˚C over Ontario and the Great Lakes basin

Questions:

1) What impact will this have on methane, and what will the impact be?

Models don't do a good job of describing the extent of permafrost melting that is happening now in Canada and Russia
* A lot of work is being done on this in the modelling community
* New satellite program will try to measure methane concentrations from space

2) What other impacts can be expected?

Most severe impacts likely to be the frequency of extreme events
* 100-year events has now shrunk to about 50 for droughts and severe precipitation events
* As air warms, it holds more water vapour - not returned to the surface in a smooth way
* Events become progressively more severe as the air holds more water vapour

3) Do you feel like Cassandra? You can predict the future, but not enough people are listening. How do we close this disconnect?

"My friend Jim Hansen will chain himself to a fence outside the White House"
* This is a reasonable response to what's happening

"I give talks in church basements"

"The population must become sufficiently well-educated to understand the truth of it all"
* Must be willing to look at the data and think about what they mean

4) What is likely to happen in areas of the world with less moderate climates than Ontario?

In terms of precipitation events, all of the models agree that the wet get wetter and the dry get drier
* Where there are drought conditions now, the droughts will get more severe
* Places like Vancouver will get even wetter
* US Southwest has now been in drought conditions for about 20 years

5) Do the latest models provide more accurate predictions for sea ice loss than earlier models?

Speaker uses a model developed at the US centre for atmospheric research - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Center_for_Atmospheric_Research
* Only model that came anywhere close to modelling recent arctic sea ice losses
* Includes description of melt ponds on the surface of the ice

As computers get more powerful, we can know more

The latest incarnation of the NCAR model predicts totally absent sea ice around 2030-40 at the October minimum
* No multi-year ice
* Earlier estimates of 2070-80 were "far too conservative"

6) Some people predict that it will be done in a few years. Responses?

Outlandish claims attract disproportionate attention
* But you pay the price if you turn out to be wrong
* "That's how science invigilates itself"

"Unwise to go way out on a limb"

Website worth looking at: http://realclimate.org/

7) In what ways can people advocate for change?

"We currently have a government in power in Ottawa that is absolutely outrageous"
* "We have to insist on being knowledgeable"

Milan

Jan 19, 2013, 7:07:21 PM1/19/13
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Present from 350: Neal, Amelia Rose, Stuart, Yasmin, Milan

Other groups: Post Carbon Toronto, Green Neighbours 21, Ontario Clean Air Alliance, Council of Canadians, Green Awakening Network, Project Neutral, Citizens Climate Lobby, Stop Line 9 Toronto, JustEarth, Clean Air Partnership, MetroAg, University of Toronto School of Public Health, Toronto Climate Campaign, Green 13, For Our Grandchildren, Green Awakening Network (faith communities), Toronto-Danforth NDP riding association, Green Party of Canada (Adriana Mugnatto-Hamu), Ontario Clean Air Alliance, Just Earth, Climate Action Network, Religious Society of Friends, Climate Reality Project

This is the second climate action summit
* Described in minutes at: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/toronto-350/HT2q6T-oRAY/s8mFkNCdu70J

Task: come up with common 'asks' of our government
* Put a price on carbon
* End fossil fuel subsidies
* Renewable energy plan for Canada

Subcommittee established to continue this work
* Many meetings

Should we form a network in Toronto to coordinate between climate groups?
* How interested are people?
* What form might it take?
* What would it do?

There will be an audio recording made of this meeting

Introductions, with group affiliations

Possibilities for 2013
* Today's purpose is to explore this

Problem can be broken into four parts, each with a question
* What would we want a Toronto climate network to do?
* What will it need to be, in order to do so? How structured should it be?
* What steps will take us there?
* Individually: what would you be prepared to contribute?

Could be as simple as a website with a calendar, managed by a couple of people
* Could have regular meetings, working groups, active campaigns

When we finish today, we want to have created a transitional team
* Strong, nimble, and effective - to put what is decided into action
* Group can provide advice and suggestions to the team

At the end of the meeting, each participant will be asked about what they will be willing to contribute
* We do need to respect how busy some people already are

General discussion

There are sometimes conflicting meetings - it would be nice to have a centralized calendar
* It would also be good to have periodic meetings to decide which issues we should have a Toronto-wide effort on

Would this be a 'network' or a 'coalition'?
* There may be opportunities in the future to speak with one voice on various issues
* Coordinate 'asks'

Nothing major happened for Earth Day last year

The Climate Action Network already exists, and several groups here are members
* Citizens Climate Lobby, etc
* Some not part: Council of Canadians, etc
* They have an AGM and a good website
* They operate at the national level
* We want to avoid creating redundant institutions

Should there be a Toronto-only network?
* Perhaps with a defined relationship with the Climate Action Network
* Could be an intermediary, especially between small groups and the national network

We need to be focusing, picking targets
* Making requests of specific people
* Local decision-makers, media institutions

RE: Climate Action Network (CAN)
* Perhaps more focused on sharing resources than lobbying
* The Toronto network might be more focused on taking positions on things
* Has already endorsed the three 'asks' from the last meeting

"Collaboration for leverage" might be the clear 'tagline'
* Coordinate on a particular message to open presentations: there is a human-caused climate crisis, and there are practical and affordable solutions

Perhaps we could be a Climate Action Network 'node'

Public messaging / pressure is another strategy
* To support efforts to lobby decision-makers directly

Only worth having a group if it will do things that are not being done elsewhere

Is it better to have a message coming from a diversity of groups, rather than from a single Toronto 'network'?
* We do want to be saying the same thing to the same people at the same time

CAN met with 27 Members of Parliament last year
* There are more than that in greater Toronto
* This is an opportunity for groups operating here

Two other 'asks' to consider
* Toronto 350.org divestment campaign
* Warning labels on gas pumps, akin to cigarette warning labels

We can distinguish between 'asks' being sought at a large-scale political level and more local campaigns
* For example, the Clean Trains campaign

Putting climate and energy issues on the table during election campaigns, federal, provincial, and municipal
* During elections, Green Neighbours 21 has tried to set up special all-candidates meetings on environmental issues only
* It would be great if other groups could help to organize similar events in all local ridings

Reaching out to the public
* How do we get a social movement, with tens of thousands demonstrating in the streets
* People are confused by conflicting demands

Network could play an important role in information and communication
* Connect those who seek information online to good resources
* Make it easy to get involved
* Subway ads to promote the group / particular actions?

There may be unlikely allies out there
* Like taxpayers groups on fossil fuel subsidies

Useful simple tasks
* Make rooms available for booking by climate groups
* Coloured shirts to show a presence at meetings

Summary of major points so far?
* Some small specific suggestions - like creating a calendar
* Multi-group operations - coordinated, organized, and focused
* Connection between CAN and a possible Toronto network
* Public outreach
* Government influence and lobbying

Voting to try to prioritize

Name?
* Toronto Climate Network
* Toronto Climate Action Network (Toronto CAN)

What would this thing look like structurally?
* Individual assigned to each objective?
* Sub-groups assigned to particular topics for lobbying: city government, provincial government, federal government, University of Toronto, Toronto financial industry
* Steering committee to coordinate actions

Not all groups will be equally enthusiastic about all campaigns
* Groups will retain their autonomy

Aiming to meet with Members of Parliament and Members of the Provincial Parliament could be a good idea

We will need a bank account, treasurer, and source of funds
* Dues from member associations? Annually?

Forming a transitional team

Sheets distributed for individuals to indicate their interest and level of commitment

Likely to operate for 2-3 months

Would then give way to steering committee or other central group, in accordance with whatever the transitional team has devised

Going around the room for people to indicate their level of interest and commitment

thugsb

Jan 20, 2013, 9:47:02 AM1/20/13
to toron...@googlegroups.com
That's some impressive note-taking! Thanks for sharing!
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Milan

Jan 22, 2013, 9:14:07 PM1/22/13
to toron...@googlegroups.com
More information on the three events on January 26th:

Sat., January 26 in Toronto - Three Actions Against Line 9 and the Tar Sands

(1) “No Line 9!” block at OFL Rally for Rights and Democracy, Allen Gardens, at 1 p.m.
(2) Day of Action on Line 9 – Toronto City Hall, at 10:30 a.m.
(3) Rally against Line 9 at the Pipeline Site, Yonge St. and Hendon Ave at 1 p.m.
______________________
(1) “No Line 9!” block at OFL Rally for Rights and Democracy
Saturday, January 26, 1 p.m.

Rally at Allan Gardens (Gerrard and Sherbourne), Toronto
March to the Ontario Liberal Convention at Maple Leaf Gardens

Allies in the U.S. North-East have called for a day of cross-border action against Eastern tar sands pipelines and we are responding with a "No Line 9!" block at the Ontario Federation of Labour (OFL) Rally for Rights and Democracy.

Rising Tide Toronto is calling all allies to stand with communities and say No to Line 9. [Please meet us at the south-east corner of Allan Gardens at 12:50 p.m. (10 minutes before the start of the OFL rally) so we can find each other and be a block! If you come late, we'll be in the back-left area of the rally with a "No Line 9!" banner and giant papier maché birds]

Take action with us now, and declare that tar sands, the most destructive project to Mother Earth, will not pass through Toronto. #NoLine9
http://www.facebook.com/events/103408453170759/

A teach-in on doing outreach about Line 9 will be held after the march.
Endorsed by:
-Indigenous Sovereignty and Solidarity Network
-OPIRG-York
-Environmental Justice group at OPIRG-York
-Latin American and Caribbean Solidarity Network
-Toronto People's Assembly on Climate Justice
-Occupy Gardens Toronto
-Toronto Bolivia Solidarity
-Toronto Rape Crisis Centre/Multicultral Women Against Rape
-No One Is Illegal - Toronto
-Toronto Raging Grannies
- Council of Canadians – Toronto

______________
(2) Day of Action on Line 9 – Toronto City Hall, January 26, 2013, 10:30 a.m.

On January 26, join concerned residents across Ontario, Quebec, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine who are saying no to dirty tar sands oil being shipped through their communities.

Enbridge wants to reverse its Line 9 pipeline to ship more dangerous tar sands oil east from Sarnia to Montreal where a second pipeline is expected to bring the tar sands oil south to Portland, Maine for export. To learn more about why Line 9 is all risk and no reward.

Join us at Toronto City Hall at 10:30 a.m. to show we don’t want dirty tar sands oil in Toronto.

Live outside Toronto? Find an event in your community. (And if there isn’t one, start your own event.) http://350newengland.org

If you’re attending a No Line 9 event, Use the hashtag #NoLine9 and tweet from the event.

Speak Up: Send a letter to the federal and Ontario ministers of the environment asking them to do a thorough environmental assessment of Enbridge’s Line 9 proposal.

__________________
Elsewhere in the city:
(3) Rally against Line 9 at the Pipeline Site, Saturday, January 26, 1 p.m.
Yonge St. and Hendon Ave. (1 block north of Finch), Toronto
In support of 350.org's Day of Action on January 26, we will demonstrate our opposition to the Tar Sands in Toronto and support for a ban on them by City Council.

The non-violent demonstration will take place at Line 9 (Hendon Ave.) and Yonge St. at 1 p.m. regardless of the weather. This is the first in a series of rallies along Line 9.

Our goal is to inform residents along Line 9 about the dangers of Tar Sands, and to build support for a motion at City Hall to prohibit the transport of DilBit across the city.

Invited Speakers: John Filion (Councillor, Ward 23), David Shiner (Councillor, Ward 24), 350.org
More info: www.stopline9-toronto.ca

Milan

Jan 25, 2013, 2:52:12 PM1/25/13
to toron...@googlegroups.com
More on the Environmental Defence event:

Join our Line 9 Day of Action this Saturday: Say NO to tar sands pipelines

This Saturday, January 26th join people across Ontario, Quebec, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine who are saying NO to tar sands oil being shipped through their communities.

By now, you may have heard of Enbridge’s proposal to reverse its Line 9 pipeline. If approved, the proposal could allow more dangerous tar sands oil to be shipped east from Hamilton to Montreal, for the first time, putting the drinking water of Canadians at risk.

If Line 9 is reversed, the oil isn’t likely to stop in Quebec. Oil giant Exxon owns a second pipeline that could be used to send the tar sands oil south from Montreal to the coast of Maine to be exported via tanker. It’s a
 prospect that has communities on both sides of the border worried about oil spills. Learn more about the proposals here.

Both pipeline projects could put the health and safety of many communities along the pipelines route in danger from a spill. By exporting raw oil, they could also grease the wheels for continued rapid expansion of tar sands mining in Alberta, already the fastest growing source of global warming pollution in Canada.

This Saturday, groups are hosting diverse actions all along the pipelines route on both sides of the border. Actions include peaceful public rallies, creative demonstrations, nature walks, film screenings, teaching sessions and more. Here is a map of the registered actions so far.

In Canada, you can take part in our Line 9 Day of Action in several different ways.

Tweet: Join our twitter chat at 10:00 a.m. (Eastern Standard Time) on Saturday January 26. Ask questions about Line 9. Be sure to include both hashtags #NoLine9 and #EDCA. Follow the hashtags to see the conversation as it happens.

Action: Join us at Toronto City Hall at 10:30 a.m. Live outside Toronto? Find a Day of Action event in your community. Tweet from a No Line 9 event using the hashtag #NoLine9.

Speak up: Send a letter to the federal and Ontario ministers of the environment asking them to do a thorough environmental assessment of Enbridge's Line 9 proposal.

pres...@toronto350.org

Jan 28, 2013, 10:44:36 PM1/28/13
to toron...@googlegroups.com