Charter buses / flights

Sai .

Apr 25, 2012, 2:49:14 PM4/25/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
So… I just realized how far out of the way Neah Bay is.

I called up one local charter flight company, ritebros.com. Their rates:

$686 each way for 5 people, $552 for 3 people, SeaTac <-> Sekiu Airport (nearest one to the camp, there's some sort of 1-2x/day bus from town)
$438 each way for 5 people, SeaTac <-> Port Angeles (another 1h drive from there)

Plus probably a 10% discount if we charter 3+ planes.

How much would a charter bus be? Zipcars are ~$80/day for a 5-seat, 4h drive from SeaTac + whatever overhead to/from the zipcar; Thrifty is ~$530/week for 7-seat van from SeaTac.

Any other good options?

- Sai

David Hulton

Apr 25, 2012, 3:30:39 PM4/25/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
I've got a call in to Kenmore Air to see how much it'd cost to charter
them. They're typically on the order of ~$200 each way for flights
from Boeing Field or South Lake Union to around that distance and they
have seaplanes which I believe should be able to land in the water
around 1/2 mile away from ToorCamp. I'll forward whatever pricing I'm
able to get from them to the mailing list when they call me back later
today....

Another kind of crazy option is that there is actually bus service
from SeaTac to Neah Bay, WA for ~$80 round trip, only thing is it
takes almost 8 hours each way:

http://g.co/maps/97mdb

I also know that Hackers on a Plane was going to have a bus or two and
they may be able to offer rides from SEA to ToorCamp.

-David

Sai

Apr 25, 2012, 3:40:29 PM4/25/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 15:30, David Hulton <0x3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> they have seaplanes which I believe should be able to land in the water
> around 1/2 mile away from ToorCamp.

… this might be a stupid question, but: how does one get from there to shore?

I dunno about you, but I can't swim quite that well. :-P

- Sai

David Hulton

Apr 25, 2012, 3:53:42 PM4/25/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
I believe that usually there's a dock that they tie up to like a boat
or they just navigate it directly onto shore. Supposedly the estuary
right next to Hobuck Beach used to be a major landing strip for the
town and I believe there might still be a dock there somewhere or a
dry place to pull up onto....

-David

Mark Novak

Apr 25, 2012, 4:02:43 PM4/25/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Hi David!

You forgot to mention that the driving distance between Seattle and Neah Bay
is completely manageable by car (about 4 hours I think) and anyone willing
to share the cost of car rental would get away with spending a lot less time
and money than any of the options you've mentioned.

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Sai . <sai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So. I just realized how far out of the way Neah Bay is.

David Hulton

Apr 25, 2012, 4:08:48 PM4/25/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Quite true! The best thing to do is get a bunch of friends together
and drive out. It's an amazingly beautiful drive and is a great way to
meet other people that are headed out to the camp. Also, I'm sure
there's locals and others driving out that would be happy to fill
their seats on their way out...

-David

3ric Johanson

Apr 25, 2012, 4:11:24 PM4/25/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com

Many locals will likely be packed with gear.  Rental of a car is really cheap, provided that you return it intact.

Sai

Apr 25, 2012, 4:26:24 PM4/25/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 16:11, 3ric Johanson <ericjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Many locals will likely be packed with gear.  Rental of a car is really
> cheap, provided that you return it intact.

Ballpark $180 round trip w/ gas per person sharing a 7-seat van per
the estimate I posted. Is there a cheaper drive rental option I
missed?

I'd certainly be willing to do the drive;
http://www.whiskey-tango.org/2012/03/toorcamp-site-review.html makes
it seem like a fairly nice trip. Reminds me of the time a friend & I
drove our motorcycles through the hills from SF-LA and back…

- Sai

David Hulton

Apr 25, 2012, 5:23:47 PM4/25/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com, Nick Farr
Just heard back from Kenmore air just in case anyone wants to get
adventurous and fly out:

Boeing Field to Sekiu Airport (~20 min drive to ToorCamp)
$1409 ($176/person) for an 8 passenger plane (each way)
$1910 ($191/person) for a 9 passenger plane (each way)

South Lake Union to Neah Bay (1/2 mile from ToorCamp)
$2827 ($282/person) for a 10 passenger seaplane (each way)

Boeing Field to Port Angeles (~100 min drive to ToorCamp)
$98/person (each way)

Also, there's a free Kenmore air shuttle from SEA to Boeing Field for transfers

-David

Sai

Apr 25, 2012, 5:51:18 PM4/25/12
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 17:23, David Hulton <0x3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Boeing Field to Port Angeles (~100 min drive to ToorCamp)
> $98/person (each way)

Sounds about the same as Rite Bros, though they don't have the fancy
water landing option. :-P

One thing to mention: Rite Bros. says they do rent cars, but it
sounded like they don't have much selection, and that's an additional
$x/day.

My guess is that, aside from the public transport option you found,
renting a van at the airport is probably cheapest (& simplest). It's
about 4h drive, vs about 1h flight + 1h drive if going in to Port
Angeles.

- Sai

David Hulton

Apr 25, 2012, 5:54:34 PM4/25/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Yep, definitely better to just get a van unless you don't mind forking
down a bunch of money for the novelty of having an indiana jones style
entrance and exit to the camp :-)

-David

Dave Null

Apr 25, 2012, 8:09:26 PM4/25/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
For 100 bucks a pop I'll let a bunch of you ride on the roof of my jeep like it's a Calcutta bound freight train.

Toot toot

-noid

PGP Key ID: 0x0517358E
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free" - Goethe

barbar...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2012, 12:48:44 AM4/27/12
to ToorCamp
Open the mapping application of your choice. Select a 'street view'.
Consider that part of your trip may include a ferry ride across Puget
Sound, which is a nice ride.

There are at least 3 different ways to get to Neah Bay and every one
of them is really beautiful.

It's a "4 hour drive", most of which is "scenic route". Most of
Washington is the scenic route. Bring a camera.

Hopefully, you realize that "camp" is not being used in a euphemistic
sense and that you will not actually have valet and concierge service
on the reservation...

Additionally, you might suddenly come to the realization that this
campsite is in the middle of an Indian Reservation. Bring more cash
than you think you'll need and plan to spend it.

I'm sure the Makah are mortified at the inconvenience you must be
experiencing at the very thought that they don't have an international
airport.

I know I am.

~ndex

On Apr 25, 5:09 pm, Dave Null <noi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For 100 bucks a pop I'll let a bunch of you ride on the roof of my jeep
> like it's a Calcutta bound freight train.
>
> Toot toot
>
> -noid
>
> PGP Key ID: 0x0517358E
> "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are
> free" - Goethe
> --
>

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM, David Hulton <0x31...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yep, definitely better to just get a van unless you don't mind forking
> > down a bunch of money for the novelty of having an indiana jones style
> > entrance and exit to the camp :-)
>
> > -David

Sai

Apr 27, 2012, 3:25:39 PM4/27/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 00:48, barbar...@gmail.com
<barbar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Additionally, you might suddenly come to the realization that this
> campsite is in the middle of an Indian Reservation.  Bring more cash
> than you think you'll need and plan to spend it.

FWIW, they have what seems to be a nice museum that might be worth
checking out: http://www.makah.com/exhibits.html

- Sai

David Hulton

Apr 27, 2012, 3:51:09 PM4/27/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah, it's pretty interesting learning about their history. We're
actually planning on having some workshops/tours organized by the
locals to do some cultural outreach. There's one guy that's been
showing us around the past couple times we've been out there that
works as a dosent at the museum part-time that has all sorts of crazy
stories about their history. Turned out that when he was younger he
caught a whale as part of their tradition of being whale hunters. Just
5 guys in a canoe, a spear, and rope -- talk about skillz.

-David

Charles Paul

Apr 27, 2012, 3:29:14 PM4/27/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
As many routes go through Kitsap county, the trip to ToorCamp will
lead to many chances for Twilight-themed LARPing. Keep this in mind
kids.

Dallas

May 25, 2012, 4:51:36 PM5/25/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Van sounds good, but need a lot of room for gear..

cab105

Jun 7, 2012, 8:45:21 PM6/7/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I'll be flying into Seiku from San Diego in a Cessna 172 from wed to mon. It will be able to take 3 people total or 2 with heavy bags and will be offering up shuttle flights from Seattle (Boeing field more likely) over the beginning and end of camp (weather permitting).

The only real caveat is weight, weather, and a ride for the last 10 miles to camp. Note that I'll be doing this as a private pilot and not a commercial operation.

Last time I worked the math its roughly an hour flight vs the 4 hr drive and should be just as scenic. Donations will be accepted to help with the gas/rental fess if there are any takers.

Worst case, would there be someone willing to ferry from the Seiku airport to the campsite?

Sai

Jun 7, 2012, 9:00:51 PM6/7/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM, cab105 <cab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Last time I worked the math its roughly an hour flight vs the 4 hr drive and should be just as scenic. Donations will be accepted to help with the gas/rental fess if there are any takers.

Could you give an estimate of how much this costs? Most of us aren't
pilots so don't know how to ballpark the gas/rental fees for it.

Thanks,
Sai

3ric Johanson

Jun 7, 2012, 9:13:50 PM6/7/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
A good price for a wet 172 is $85/hour. Boeing field is likely more expensive.  The "rental" time parked at seiku can be expensive if there is high demand.  That can get up to $500 a day during peak times, but I'm suspecting it's much less.

Of course, this is off the top of my head and somebody (Sai) could likely get a real quote.

-3ric

chris baumbauer

Jun 7, 2012, 9:33:07 PM6/7/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com

Sure. For this plane it'll run about $135/hr and anywhere from an extra $15-40/hr. The costs will fluctuate, but I can accept no more than an even split.

Cheers,
cab

Sai

Jun 7, 2012, 9:49:23 PM6/7/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
So assuming you only ferry people one way (to Neah on Wed, out on
Mon), your cost is ~$330 for one round trip — so something like $110
for each of 3 passengers one way would be fair? That's pretty good
compared to other options.

I'm a bit confused though… you say you're flying out of San Diego with
a plane (are you taking passengers from there too? I bet there'd be
takers), yet you're incurring rental costs at Seiku or Boeing Field
airports, or some sort of hourly cost for the plane? I'm really not
familiar with how private airplane usage works. :-/

- Sai

Brian Cloutier

Jun 8, 2012, 12:21:45 PM6/8/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com

This sounds like a *fantastic* way to build up some hours without the usual monotony, and to meet some cool people along the way. Kudos for thinking of it.

If demand is low (I.e. if it wouldn't make other people have to wait longer) what would you think of letting me take copilot for a couple of the trips? I'm also a private pilot so the usual cost-splitting would happen.

- Brian

chris baumbauer

Jun 8, 2012, 10:27:13 PM6/8/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
This particular aircraft has a meter used to track the amount of time the engine is running (the hobbs meter) so I'll be incurring the cost throughout the trip. I can record the start/stop time from Boeing or Seiku.

Costwise that sounds about right.

Cheers,
cab
--
Chris Baumbauer
cab...@gmail.com

chris baumbauer

Jun 8, 2012, 10:35:56 PM6/8/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, but wish I could claim credit for this one! I try to do one extended trip, but this one is begging for it.

We'll see what can be done.
--
Chris Baumbauer
cab...@gmail.com

Tod Kuykendall

Jun 18, 2012, 12:55:08 PM6/18/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com

Cab - I may be coming from San Diego and I'm intrigued by a local flight. Any thoughts on how long it would take, flight plan, what a fair contribution for accompanying you from San Diego would be?

No promises - I have find out if I'm going and convince my wife that a Cessna all the way up the west coast is acceptable, but I'd be interested in details.

Let me know,

=Tod

chris baumbauer

Jun 19, 2012, 11:52:46 PM6/19/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tod,

So far haven't worked through the costs yet, but am guestimating it to be close to $600-900 round trip. The rough plan for the flight so far is an 8-9 hour flight with stops at Sacramento, Eugene, and Port Angeles for fuel.

Luckily fuel is included as a part of the rental, and the Port Angeles stop is to get the plane ready for ferrying to and from Seattle.

If you can swing it, that'd be awesome.

Cheers,
cab

Mark Novak

Jun 26, 2012, 9:57:41 PM6/26/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!

I'll be leaving Seattle for Las Vegas on Saturday 7/21, spend 7/24-27 at BlackHat, then take two weeks across some of our best national parks to end up at ToorCamp on around 8/8-8/9, and back to Seattle on 8/12.  The exact waypoints are entirely flexible, the dates less so.

Anyone wants to join?  I usually camp on the way, but that point is negotiable. I'd be happy with a companion even for a part of the trip.

Derek Jacoby

Aug 1, 2012, 7:48:08 PM8/1/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Getting close, so most people have probably gotten rides figured out. It's a horrible ordeal, but it is possible to get out to Neah Bay on public transit from the Seattle airport.

Seattle city bus (~$2.25), ferry to bainbridge ($6.50 one direction only), bus to jefferson county ($.75), bus to Sequim ($1.50), bus to Port Angeles then to Neah Bay ($1.75)

Whole thing is probably about 9-10 hours. I pulled up all the routes once a couple years ago, but can track them all down again if anyone is feeling particularly masochistic.

--Derek

mike castleman

Aug 2, 2012, 1:50:19 AM8/2/12
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Here is a maybe slightly easier (albeit priceier) and in any case more
fully worked suggestion:
http://tumble.mlcastle.net/post/27712908284/getting-to-toorcamp-by-public-transit

I'm not from the area at all and apologize if there are any mistakes.

mlc