Re: [JCO:1062] Crosswicks Horror re

Michaelangelo Rodriguez

Jan 3, 2012, 2:54:41 PM1/3/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric, do you have a list of the gothic books?
I can read some.
Michaelangelo

On 1/3/12, Eric Anderson <erick...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> That is fantastic and exciting news. I don't suppose publication will be for
> at least another year or so, but this seems like a good time to revisit the
> first books in the gothic series. Would anyone be interested in (re)reading
> them all in order of publication and having discussions on here about them?
> We could read one every three months which would mean we'd have revisted
> them all by January 2013.
>
> Eric
>
> To: tonecl...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: Re: [JCO:1061] Crosswicks Horror
> From: notenoug...@aol.com
> Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 00:56:00 -0500
>

> Randy,
>

> Thank you so much for the info about Crosswicks, and for the notes from
> JCO's work----American Appetites and Foxfire have always been two of my
> favorites, and it was fascinating to see the way they might have gone. It
> also shows how beautifully planned out "What I Lived For" was, and why that
> was so good. Again, many appreciations.
>

> Ellen

Michaelangelo Rodriguez

Jan 3, 2012, 5:25:36 PM1/3/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Hi I'll start reading them.
I'm a former student of JCO so this would interest me.
Michaelangelo
www.google.com/profiles/prmike

On 12/31/99, Gary Couzens <gjco...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> I'd love to, as I haven't read any of the gothic novels apart from
> Bellefleur. What is making me pause, though, is the length of the novels and
> the fact that I'm a slow reader, plus other reading/reviewing commitments.
> So I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up.
>
> By the way, a very long time ago in Tone Clusters there was a detailed
> discussion of Mysteries of Winterthurn. I presume it's still available in
> the archive?
>
> Gary

bd...@frontiernet.net

Jan 3, 2012, 5:50:53 PM1/3/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Oates herself describes these historical, postmodern novels, not only as gothic, but in terms of genre: BELLEFLEUR, a family saga; A BLOODSMOOR ROMANCE (a romance, as the title indicates); and MYSTERIES OF WINTERTHURN (as in the title, a mystery). But of course, Oates is not simply replicating these popular genres, but transforming them.

I have a chapter on these three novels in my book, LAVISH SELF-DIVISIONS: THE NOVELS OF JOYCE CAROL OATES. I' m looking forward to reading THE ACCURSED, as she has renamed A CROSSWICKS HORROR, and I'd like to know the story behind the delay in publishing this fourth work in the series.

I'll be listening to this conversation with great interest.

Brenda Daly

Randy Souther

Jan 4, 2012, 1:26:31 AM1/4/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
By 1984, as I understand, both the 4th book, "The Crosswicks Horror," and the 5th and final book, "My Heart Laid Bare," were finished. Publication of Crosswicks kept getting pushed back by other titles. After several years I believe JCO decided she wanted to revise the book, but it never happened.

After I started Celestial Timepiece and was in touch with JCO, and thinking that "Crosswicks" would never be published, I wrote to her and naively offered to "publish" it on the web site. The conversation included my feeling that many people, myself included, thought the works were brilliant, and that it would be a shame if the "Gothic" series were never completed. For whatever reason, the conversation apparently had a part in sparking her interest in the series again, and she began to revise, not "Crosswicks," but "My Heart Laid Bare," which was finally published in 1998. I think for this reason, and for the web site, I got the dedication on that novel.

I don't mean to pat myself on the back, but I guess I gave Crosswicks a nudge as well. JCO wrote at the end of December to say that she's rewriting Crosswicks, and that seeing it on the web site (I have for years, with hope, listed it as a "forthcoming" novel on Celestial Timepiece) kept the manuscript alive as a possibility rather than it being forgotten.

And as Brenda reminds us, we're going to have to get used to calling it "The Accursed."

Randy

Eric Anderson

Jan 4, 2012, 8:19:12 AM1/4/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for responding everyone and for clarifying things Randy.
My Heart Laid Bare is one of my favourite Oates novels so I'm looking forward to revisiting it. I haven't read A Bloodsmoor Romance before.

Shall those people up for it loosely plan to finish reading Bellefluer by the end of March-early April? We can discuss it then and hopefully refer to the archived discussions and Brenda's chapter on the series.

Eric

> Subject: Re: [JCO:1071] Crosswicks Horror re
> From: tinma...@earthlink.net
> Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 22:26:31 -0800
> To: tonecl...@googlegroups.com

P S Bonas

Jan 4, 2012, 9:16:00 AM1/4/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
I'm starting Bellefleur right away. It is actually my favorite JCO novel.
How do we do this, do we wait until end of March/early April to discuss, or does/can discussion occur while reading?

Peggy

From: erick...@hotmail.com
To: tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [JCO:1072] Crosswicks Horror re
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 08:19:12 -0500

bd...@frontiernet.net

Jan 4, 2012, 11:05:58 AM1/4/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification, Randy. I had forgotten MY HEART LAID BARE, probably because I hadn't discussed it in my book.

Thanks also for some background on the completion of CROSSWICKS/THE ACCURSED. I know that Oates values your website a lot, as she has mentioned it to me.

Brenda

Jan 4, 2012, 11:25:56 AM1/4/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
I don't think we need to hold out on all conversation till the finishing point. How about if you want to discuss it while you're still part-way through reading you could post a message with the subject line as something like 'Bellefleur till chapter 8' so people know not to read the message till they are at that point to prevent any spoilers. (Of course, for rereaders it won't matter so much).

I'm also reading a book club book and a book for review so I might not get to it again immediately but I'm looking forward to it.

Eric

From: pbo...@hotmail.com
To: tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [JCO:1073] Crosswicks Horror re
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 08:16:00 -0600

P S Bonas

Jan 4, 2012, 1:50:28 PM1/4/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
okay, yes. Very good.
thanks Eric,

Peggy

Subject: RE: [JCO:1075] Crosswicks Horror re
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 11:25:56 -0500

shifteh emami

Jan 11, 2012, 3:32:46 AM1/11/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends

Any body here read Pumpkin head by JCO?
i can not find a meaning for DIAL_TORY. which Anton use in this sentence:
 of course I have been dial-tory myself
could anybody help me with this?

Shifteh

James Will

Jan 11, 2012, 5:28:47 AM1/11/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
It's probably dilatory (slow, delayed)

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:02:46 +0330
Subject: Re: [JCO:1077] Crosswicks Horror re
From: shifte...@gmail.com
To: tonecl...@googlegroups.com

Sho Journet

Jan 12, 2012, 6:48:29 AM1/12/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
I've always found her use of "off- label "
punctuation/ pronunciation cool.

A lot of " Da-ddy" 's and so forth.

I remember reading, think it was in a past life, a JCO novel whose title I can't  recall:  there was a male professor, I believe, mentoring an adult student; one of them stuttered, and much of the teacher's dialogue went that way.

Spoiler alert: one of them ended up going off a balcony, down a staircase or, perhaps over a railing.

I am so trying to remember the name of this book and suffering a major brain-fart and/ or senior moment.

Someone help me out?

Shoshanna

Sent from my iPhone

Michaelangelo Rodriguez

Jan 12, 2012, 10:01:58 AM1/12/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Hello, is the book "The Hungry Ghosts?"
Nocover-blank-133x176
The Hungry Ghosts

by
Joyce Carol Oates
My rating:
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing
add to my books

The Hungry Ghosts