New open organization book project

Jason Hibbets

Aug 14, 2017, 5:31:36 PM8/14/17
to TODO Group, bbeh...@redhat.com
Long time subscriber, first time poster ;)

I hope this an appropriate use of this list, if not I apologize.The Opensource.com team has an exciting new project that we'd love to have many of your companies and organizations involvement in and I feel its relevant enough to the work that happens as part of the TODO Group to post here.

The open organization community at Opensource.com just started working on a new book project [1] where we will collect "case studies" from organizations that have experimented with any of the open principles present in the Open Organization Definition (transparency, inclusivity, adaptability, collaboration, community) in order to tackle a challenging organizational (people/culture/process) problem.

The case studies will relay 1) a business problem the organization faced, 2) the solution (based on open principles) it established to address that problem, and 3) the results of that effort.

I'm writing to ask if you'd be able to help us collect a case study from your companies or organization. Even if you're not in a position to do it, we'd love if you could help connect us with someone who might.

Lots more about the project is available in the official repository on GitHub. And you can view our working table of contents:

https://github.com/open-organization-ambassadors/open-org-workbook/blob/master/open_org_workbook_toc.md

Would love to hear your ideas and see how we can get your companies and organizations involved.

If you would like to contribute, please reach out to Bryan Behrenshausen on CC or connect with the project on GitHub.

Thanks,
Jason Hibbets and Bryan Behrenshausen

[1] - https://opensource.com/open-organization/17/8/workbook-project-announcement

Dirk Riehle

Aug 15, 2017, 11:59:20 AM8/15/17
to todo...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!

(Also a first post :-)

This sounds like a great project, and well-worked examples are a wonderful thing.

I wanted to ask whether you would consider using a particular format called
"teaching case" (as in Harvard-Business-School-type of teaching case). Those
can be used in a defined way in university teaching.

Usually those (teaching) cases cost money which is why it doesn't fly in
Germany. (Students get a say and not surprisingly they voted down tuition and
not surprisingly paying for teaching cases is a non-starter.)

I teach a course on software product management (so it is not about openness
primarily) and we have been developing teaching cases for a while. The current
results can be found here:

http://pmbycase.com

An explanation of what teaching cases are and why they should be open licensed
;-) and the traditional business behind it here:

http://pmbycase.com/teaching-cases/the-case-method-explained/

(Right now we only have four cases on our site, but a whole batch needs to get
out for winter semester i.e. over the next few months, including one on open
source licensing.)

Of course, if someone here as a software product management story to tell that
students can learn from, I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers, Dirk
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/todogroup/a8fb2923-30f6-4d26-946d-f35677a4683d%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/todogroup/a8fb2923-30f6-4d26-946d-f35677a4683d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Website: http://dirkriehle.com - Twitter: @dirkriehle
Ph (DE): +49-157-8153-4150 - Ph (US): +1-650-450-8550

Erlend Sogge Heggen

Aug 16, 2017, 4:08:08 PM8/16/17
to TODO Group, bbeh...@redhat.com
Maybe I'm missing something but I can't seem to find a way to access Bryan's full email. I only receive abridged mails and the Google Groups frontend is hiding the emails.

Anyhow, you can reach out to me at erl...@discourse.org for a case study on Discourse.org