-- 1 Samuel 12:24 --

Weedy

May 2, 2011, 12:59:20 PM5/2/11
-- 1 Samuel 12:24 --
But be sure to fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all
your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.
__________________________

Take time to consider what great things God has done for you.
Taking time for reflection allows us to focus our attention upon God's
goodness and strengthens our faith. Sometimes we are so progress- and
future-oriented that we fail to take time to recall all that God has
already done. Remember what God has done for you so that you may move
ahead with gratitude.

<><><><><>
May 2nd - SS. Hesperus and Zoe

The Holy Martyrs Hesperus, his Wife Zoe, and their Children Cyriacus
and Theodulus suffered for their faith in Christ in the second
century, during the persecution under Hadrian (117-138). They had been
Christians since their childhood, and they also raised their children
in piety. They were all slaves of an illustrious Roman named Catullus,
living in Attalia, Asia Minor. While serving their earthly master, the
saints never defiled themselves with food offered to idols, which
pagans were obliged to use.

Once, Catullus sent Hesperus on business to Tritonia. Sts Cyriacus and
Theodulus decided to run away, unable to endure constant contact with
pagans. St. Zoe, however, did not bless her sons to do this. Then they
asked their mother's blessing to confess their faith in Christ openly,
and they received it. When the brothers explained to Catullus that
they were Christian, he was surprised, but he did not deliver them for
torture. Instead, he sent them with their mother to St. Hesperus at
Tritonia, hoping that the parents would persuade their children to
deny Christ. At Tritonia, the saints lived in tranquility for a while,
preparing for martyrdom.

All the slaves returned to Attalia for the birthday of Catullus' son,
and a feast was prepared at the house in honor of the pagan goddess
Fortuna. Food was sent to the slaves from the master's table, and this
included meat and wine that had been sacrificed to idols. The saints
would not eat the food. Zoe poured the wine upon the ground and threw
the meat to the dogs. When he learned of this, Catullus gave orders to
torture Zoe's sons, Sts Cyriacus and Theodulus.
The brothers were stripped, suspended from a tree, and raked with iron
implements before the eyes of their parents, who counselled their
children to persevere to the end.

Then the parents, Sts Hesperus and Zoe, were subjected to terrible
tortures. Finally, they threw all four martyrs into a red-hot furnace,
where they surrendered their souls to the Lord. Their bodies were
preserved in the fire unharmed, and angelic singing was heard,
glorifying the confessors of the Lord.

<><><><>
Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth. -Matt. 5:4

"There is nothing which edifies others so much as charity and
kindness, by
which, as by the oil in the lamp, the flame of good example is kept
alive"
-St. Francis de Sales

We read of St. Francis Xavier that his brother Jesuits often visited
him,
only to enjoy his admirable mildness.

(Taken from the book "A Year with the Saints". May - Meekness)

Bible Quote
Tell ye the daughter of Sion: Behold thy king cometh to thee, meek,
and
sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of her that is used to the
yoke.
(Matthew 21:5)

<><><><>
THIRTY-ONE DAYS OF PRAYER FOR THE HOLY SOULS
FROM THE PURGATORIAN MANUAL
(Imprimatur 1946)

Thirtieth Day

THE HEROIC ACT OF CHARITY FOR THE SOULS IN PURGATORY

This heroic act, in behalf of the souls in Purgatory, consists in
a voluntary offering made in their favor to the Divine Majesty, by any
one of the faithful, of all works of satisfaction done by him in his
life, as well as of all the suffrages which shall be offered for him
after his death. By this offering he foregoes in their behalf only
that special fruit which belongs to himself, so that he is not
hindered thereby in praying for his own necessities, or those of
others.

This act of charity, therefore, will not deprive us of any merit.
Besides, by resigning our own claims on all works of satisfaction in
favor of the souls departed, we shall gain for ourselves the special
love of God, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and all the saints, according to
the promise of Christ: "With what measure you mete, it shall be
measured to you again." (Matt. vii. 2.) Furthermore, the gratitude of
the holy souls will induce them, in turn, to pray for us in Heaven, so
that we may either escape Purgatory, or be blessed by a speedy
deliverance therefrom.

This heroic act of charity has been enriched with many
indulgences. (No. 547.) They are as follows:

I. The Indult of a Privileged Altar, personally, every day in the
year to all priests who shall have made this offering.

II. A Plenary Indulgence daily, applicable only to the departed, to
all the faithful, who shall have made this offering, whenever they go
to Holy Communion, provided they visit a church or public oratory, and
pray there for some time for the intention of his Holiness.

III. A Plenary Indulgence, every Monday, to all who hear Mass in aid
of the souls in Purgatory, provided they fulfill the other conditions
mentioned above. (No. 547.)

Prayer: We humbly beseech Thee, O Lord! graciously accept our prayers,
with the indulgences attached, for the suffering souls. We offer Thee,
in their behalf, the Precious Blood of Jesus Christ, Thy Son, our
Redeemer, and His infinite merits united with the merits of His most
holy, immaculate Virgin Mother Mary, her ever-glorious spouse, St.
Joseph, the holy Apostles, and all the spirits of Heaven, that by
virtue of these merits our devotion may be to them a source of
consolation, and open to them the portals of Heaven, there to love,
praise, and glorify Thee, world without end. Amen.

Special Intercession: Pray for the souls, who, while on earth, made
the Heroic Act of Charity.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine
upon them; may they rest in peace. Amen. (Three times)

Practice: Endeavor, every day, to perform an act of charity for the
suffering souls.

Invocation. My Jesus, mercy!

Also see entire 31day prayer at:
http://www.faithfuldeparted.net/prayers.html