Ability to use Vim keystrokes with TLA+ Toolbox?

Thomas Gebert

May 6, 2017, 10:23:35 AM5/6/17
to tlaplus
This is admittedly kind of petty, but I am having a slight bit of trouble navigating around the Eclipse-based Toolbox, as I use Vim keystrokes basically everywhere.

Traditionally when I've used Eclipse I've installed a plugin to give me basic Vim support, but I don't see an option to install any plugins in the Toolbox.  Has anyone here figured out a way to do that?

Yoriyasu Yano

May 6, 2017, 10:47:39 AM5/6/17
to tla...@googlegroups.com
I managed to get Vrapper to work by manually extracting the contents and moving the files into the toolbox directory (on linux). Vrapper should extract two folders, features and plugins, and I simply copied those into folders of the same name within the Toolbox application directory.

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 7:23 AM, Thomas Gebert <thomas...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is admittedly kind of petty, but I am having a slight bit of trouble navigating around the Eclipse-based Toolbox, as I use Vim keystrokes basically everywhere.

Traditionally when I've used Eclipse I've installed a plugin to give me basic Vim support, but I don't see an option to install any plugins in the Toolbox.  Has anyone here figured out a way to do that?

Yoriyasu Yano

Thomas Gebert

Markus Alexander Kuppe

May 6, 2017, 4:32:30 PM5/6/17
to tla...@googlegroups.com
On 06.05.2017 16:23, Thomas Gebert wrote:
This is admittedly kind of petty, but I am having a slight bit of trouble navigating around the Eclipse-based Toolbox, as I use Vim keystrokes basically everywhere.

Traditionally when I've used Eclipse I've installed a plugin to give me basic Vim support, but I don't see an option to install any plugins in the Toolbox.  Has anyone here figured out a way to do that?

Hi Thomas, Hi Yoriyasu,

while Yoriyasu's way to install vrapper obviously works, this way to install plugins has been deprecated by Eclipse and might break your Toolbox in subtle ways. If you ever run into problems, here's how you install plugins manually:

1) Start the toolbox from the command line with the two parameters "./toolbox -console -consoleLog" to activate its console

2) In the console ("osgi>" prompt), activate the functionality to install plugins: "start org.eclipse.equinox.p2.console"

3) Add the p2 repository a.k.a update site of the plugin, e.g. "provaddrepo http://vrapper.sourceforge.net/update-site/stable"

4) List the available "installation units" (IU) in the update site "provlg http://vrapper.sourceforge.net/update-site/stable"

5) Install the top-level IU with "provinstall net.sourceforge.vrapper.feature.group 0.72.0 DefaultProfile"

provinstall triggers a (modal) dialog in the Toolbox. Accept it and restart the Toolbox.

Cheers

Markus

Yoriyasu Yano

May 6, 2017, 4:36:44 PM5/6/17
to tla...@googlegroups.com
That is good to know for me as well! Thanks Markus!

Yori

andrew.j...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2017, 12:38:53 AM6/24/17
to tlaplus
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+u...@googlegroups.com.

> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/tlaplus.

This worked like a charm! Thanks so much.

Hengfeng Wei

Nov 14, 2018, 9:20:05 PM11/14/18
to tlaplus
Dear Markus,

I got "vrapper disabled" at the bottom of toolbox on my Ubuntu (18.04 LTS).

vrapper-disabled.png

"Vim's key bindings" appears. However, it does not work.
By the way, the "Default" key bindings does not work either.

key-binding.png

How should I enable vrapper in toolbox?

Best regards,
Hengfeng Wei

Markus Kuppe

Nov 14, 2018, 11:33:40 PM11/14/18
to tla...@googlegroups.com
On 14.11.18 18:20, Hengfeng Wei wrote:
> Dear Markus,
>
> I got "vrapper disabled" at the bottom of toolbox on my Ubuntu (18.04 LTS).
>
> vrapper-disabled.png <about:invalid#zClosurez>
>

> "Vim's key bindings" appears. However, it does not work.
> By the way, the "Default" key bindings does not work either.
>
> key-binding.png <about:invalid#zClosurez>
>

> How should I enable vrapper in toolbox?
>
> Best regards,
> Hengfeng Wei

Hi,

following my own instructions I successfully installed vrapper into the
1.5.7 Toolbox on Ubuntu 18.04. I then selected the Vim key binding in
the Toolbox's preference after which the Vim keybindings were active in
the spec editor.

I have no idea what is going on on your end but I suggest you start from
a fresh 1.5.7 Toolbox installations.

Hope this help,
Markus

Hengfeng Wei

Nov 15, 2018, 12:14:07 AM11/15/18
to tlaplus
Dear Markus,

With a fresh 1.5.7 Toolbox installations (also delete the hidden .tlaplus folder; this is important to me), it works now.
Thanks.

Best regards,
Hengfeng Wei

Hengfeng Wei

Aug 14, 2019, 1:37:25 AM8/14/19
to tlaplus
Hi Markus,

I have failed to installed vrapper in the latest version of Toolbox (Version 1.6.0 of 10 July 2019)
on Ubuntu 18.04 following the instructions.
(It works for the 1.5.7 Toolbox on Ubuntu 18.04.)
The configuration:

eclipse.buildId=1.6.0
java.version=11.0.3
java.vendor=AdoptOpenJDK
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64 -console -consoleLog

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic
The error info:

./toolbox -console -consoleLog

toolbox-vim-console.png

start org.eclipse.equinox.p2.console

toolbox-vim-start-console.png

provaddrepo http://vrapper.sourceforge.net/update-site/stable

toolbox-vim-provaddrepo.png

How to fix this?

By the way, is there a plan to support vim "officially" in Toolbox?

Best regards,

hengxin

loki der quaeler

Aug 14, 2019, 5:33:16 PM8/14/19
to tlaplus
Generally you start a bundle by id and not by part of the bundle's name.  If you do an:
ss p2.console
then do a
start XX
where XX is the listed id, does that ameliorate the situation?

Hengfeng Wei

Aug 14, 2019, 10:15:57 PM8/14/19
to tlaplus
Hi loki der quaeler,