Next release?

Jaak Ristioja

Mar 21, 2017, 3:50:29 AM3/21/17
to tlaplus
Hello!

The last release of the TLA+ Toolbox was more than a year ago. Are there
any plans for a next release soon? I know there are nightlies in [1] (no
direct link from the webpage [3]), but version 1.5.2 on the download
page [2] seems to date back to January 2016.

Best regards,
Jaak Ristioja
Cybernetica AS

[1]: https://tla.msr-inria.inria.fr/tlatoolbox/ci/products/
[2]: https://tla.msr-inria.inria.fr/tlatoolbox/products/
[3]: http://lamport.azurewebsites.net/tla/tla.html

Markus Alexander Kuppe

Mar 21, 2017, 4:57:55 AM3/21/17
to tla...@googlegroups.com
On 21.03.2017 08:50, Jaak Ristioja wrote:
> The last release of the TLA+ Toolbox was more than a year ago. Are there
> any plans for a next release soon? I know there are nightlies in [1] (no
> direct link from the webpage [3]), but version 1.5.2 on the download
> page [2] seems to date back to January 2016.

Hi Jaak,

I suppose it is time to release a new version of the TLA+ Toolbox. The
list of noteworthy commits [1] has sufficiently grown to warrant a
release. In total, there are 303 commits since 1.5.2 [2].

The reason why we release infrequently is due to the overhead inherent
in our manual release process. Do people have the capacity to help with
release testing if I provide a checklist?

Thanks

Markus

[1]
https://github.com/search?&q=repo:tlaplus/tlaplus+merge:false+changelog&type=Commits&ref=searchresults

[2] $(git rev-list v1.5.2^..HEAD | wc -l)

Giuliano Losa

Mar 21, 2017, 2:47:54 PM3/21/17
to tla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Markus, I'm a frequent user of the toolbox I could help with that.

Giuliano
signature.asc

Markus Alexander Kuppe

Mar 22, 2017, 11:13:07 AM3/22/17
to tla...@googlegroups.com
On 21.03.2017 19:47, Giuliano Losa wrote:
> Hi Markus, I'm a frequent user of the toolbox I could help with that.
>
> Giuliano

Hi Giuliano,

thanks for volunteering to help with release testing. There is no
release build yet, but I created the checklist [1]. Please let me know
on what platform you are going to do the testing.

Thanks
Markus

[1]
https://github.com/tlaplus/tlaplus/wiki/TLA--Toolbox-release-build-checklist

Giuliano Losa

Mar 22, 2017, 12:29:30 PM3/22/17
to tla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Markus,
I'm running the toolbox on Debian Stretch.
If I remember correctly this is not in the list of supported platforms.
Am I correct?

Giuliano
signature.asc

Markus Alexander Kuppe

Mar 23, 2017, 6:55:11 AM3/23/17
to tla...@googlegroups.com
On 22.03.2017 17:29, Giuliano Losa wrote:
> I'm running the toolbox on Debian Stretch.
> If I remember correctly this is not in the list of supported platforms.
> Am I correct?

Hi Giuliano,

we don't have a precise definition of "Linux" as a supported platform. I
for one use a reasonable recent version of Ubuntu.

By the way, for Debian based distributions, we have recently started to
provide an apt repository:

echo "deb https://tla.msr-inria.inria.fr/tlatoolbox/ci/toolboxUpdate/ ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tlaplus.list
wget -qO - https://tla.msr-inria.inria.fr/jenkins.pub | sudo apt-key add -
apt update
apt install tla+toolbox

Cheers

Markus

fl

Mar 23, 2017, 10:36:21 AM3/23/17
to tlaplus

we don't have a precise definition of "Linux" as a supported platform.

In everyman's mind computer technology is a precise science :) (I'm always
struck by the absence of formal and precise definitions in computer science. Even
C standard is not formally defined and a sea of perplexity.)

I for one use a reasonable recent version of Ubuntu.

I'd like to emphasize that a reasonable recent version of Linux must be
at least five years old. Because people don't change their box every year
and that a difference of version number in the libc prevents from installing
the software even if (as it is likely to be so) only the oldest features of the libc
are used. (I tell that for the precompiled versions of the softwares obviously).

--
FL

fl

Mar 28, 2017, 9:07:00 AM3/28/17
to tlaplus

I for one use a reasonable recent version of Ubuntu.

I'd like to emphasize that a reasonable recent version of Linux must be
at least five years old.

I have just understood it is tlaps that is difficult to install because of incompabilities
with the libc.

I think tlaps is coded in caml. Well I understand a functional programming
language is good choice for designing a complex piece of software. But
unfortunately it doesn't interface well with Linux (problems of libraries and
so on).

I just wonder if, when the design is finished, it wouldn't be possible to translate
tlaps in pure C so that we can recompile it easily at the end. tlaps is jjust
the kind of software with no gui that benefits from a translation into pure C.

It would be nice as well if a joint package tlaps and tlaplus could be made.

--
FL