cant open tns file

kwee

Aug 23, 2011, 9:17:54 PM8/23/11
to tinspire
i got a tns file fr the TI website, but could not open it.(see the
error message attached). anyone know why? thanks!

Kwee Tiow Choo

Aug 23, 2011, 9:18:20 PM8/23/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com

Jim Fullerenex

Aug 23, 2011, 10:01:08 PM8/23/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Very common. In these circumstances Lionel will be the first person I resort to. He's the expert who understands the crux of the format problems.

Best Wishes,
Jim

2011/8/24 Kwee Tiow Choo <kwe...@hci.edu.sg>

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-abouttime

image001.png

Eric Findlay

Aug 24, 2011, 12:55:13 AM8/24/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
What version OS is your calc/software?  If it is <3.0, then it is likely that that is a file created in v3.0+, which cannot be read by earlier OS versions due to different encryption/compression or something like that.

  --Eric

On Aug 23, 2011, at 7:01 PM, Jim Fullerenex <smoa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Very common. In these circumstances Lionel will be the first person I resort to. He's the expert who understands the crux of the format problems.

Best Wishes,
Jim

2011/8/24 Kwee Tiow Choo <kwe...@hci.edu.sg>

<image001.png>

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-abouttime

Lionel Debroux

Aug 24, 2011, 1:45:40 AM8/24/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> > Very common. In these circumstances Lionel will be the first person
> > I resort to. He's the expert who understands the crux of the format
> > problems.

> What version OS is your calc/software? If it is <3.0, then it is
> likely that that is a file created in v3.0+, which cannot be read
> by earlier OS versions due to different encryption/compression or
> something like that.

I don't remember, does older software display "the document format is
not supported" when failing to read the deliberately
backwards-incompatible documents ? Or does it do that just for documents
of the second class described below ?

The other common reason for this message would be 3.x failing to read
documents which are not fully compressed with TI's proprietary and
patented XML compression + compressed with ZLIB + encrypted with
triple-DES. Two classes of such documents:
1) clear-binary documents suitable for OS 1.1, i.e. before TI added all
of the aforementioned obfuscation crap that slows down operation and
hampers interoperability (but is, unsurprisingly, powerless against
reverse-engineering).
-> In order to read these documents on OS 3.x, open them in OS 1.2-2.1
and re-save them, which will obfuscate them and make OS 3.x happy.

2) Lua documents created by third parties before the advent of Luna (
https://ndlessly.wordpress.com/2011/08/06/luna-here-she-is/ ).
OS 3.0.1.1753 accepted documents with an obfuscated part and a
clear-binary part, but OS 3.0.2.1791 doesn't: as you can see, TI is very
strict about trying to make its software non-interoperable. Needless to
say, as usual, they fail to hamper interoperability as far as Lua
documents are concerned: Luna was released less than four months after
OS 3.0.1.1753...
-> In order to read these documents on OS 3.0.2.1791, the fix is usually
straightforward: re-encode them, from the Lua source, with Luna (or with
TI's heavyweight converter which is Windows-only, non-scriptable, and
dependent on the Nspire computer software, but it's not serious to
recommend that tool...).

A hex editor, or a ZIP-capable program, show in seconds to which class a
document belongs. But Kwee hasn't attached his document, so I can't tell :)

Lionel.

Kwee Tiow Choo

Aug 24, 2011, 9:44:34 PM8/24/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com

See attached. 2 tns files which I cant open. Thanks!

OrderOfOperations-HandheldVersion1.tns
Geometry_Pattern_in_area_Leetn.tns

Lionel Debroux

Aug 25, 2011, 2:21:49 AM8/25/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> See attached. 2 tns files which I cant open. Thanks!

Those are clear-binary files, all chunks are compressed with the
standard 08 (DEFLATE) compression method, instead of the proprietary and
partially patented 0D compression+encryption method that I described
yesterday.
As I described yesterday, it's easy to fix these files: open them in any
OS between 1.2.x and 2.1.0.631 included, and re-save them :)

Do the attached files, which I have opened and re-saved on my blue
Nspire Clickpad non-CAS calculator running OS 1.7.2741 CAS, work for you ?

Lionel.

Geometry_Pattern_in_area_Leetn.tns
OrderOfOperations-HandheldVersion1.tns

kwee