Walmart visualization

Jim Hodgson

Sep 21, 2011, 6:53:11 PM9/21/11
to Tile5
Hi everyone!

Tried today to get a walmart style visualization going like the one in
the demo, but failed. I can't tell what parts I need in and what I can
pull out.

I would love some help. I have a file with the appropriate data, I
just can't figure out how to get the map going like it works in the
demo.

I also have my own APi Key.

As I say, any help would be appreciated.

You can see my failed attempt here:
http://hodgsonco.com/map/

Damon Oehlman

Sep 22, 2011, 6:26:54 PM9/22/11
to ti...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jim,

I'll try and get time to have a look at what you are doing sometime today.

Cheers,
Damon.

--
Damon Oehlman
t: DamonOehlman

James Hodgson

Sep 22, 2011, 9:05:27 PM9/22/11
to ti...@googlegroups.com
That would be amazing, Damon, thanks!
--
James C. Hodgson, Jr
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

James Hodgson

Sep 27, 2011, 3:47:14 PM9/27/11
to ti...@googlegroups.com
HI Damon and all. Just wondering if you might have had a chance to take a gander at my situation.

If it's easier to start over from the beginning, I have all my zip and lat/long data. I'd love to be able to display them in the walmart style of your demo.

Thanks again!

Damon Oehlman

Sep 27, 2011, 7:24:38 PM9/27/11
to ti...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

Making a few changes to the way I generate the Tile5 demos, which I think will go a long way to making the existing demos easier to understand.  With any luck I'll have something in Github tonight (my time).

Cheers,
Damon.

James Hodgson

Sep 27, 2011, 9:31:51 PM9/27/11
to ti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I can't wait!

Of course, easy-to-understand for most and easy-to-understand for me are not at all the same things. I'm more designer than programmer!

Damon Oehlman

Sep 27, 2011, 9:43:49 PM9/27/11
to ti...@googlegroups.com
I think it will be a lot better.  The trouble with the current demos is that there are a lot of moving parts that you have to try and step through to work out what is going on.  New process of creating demos will generate a single static page for each one, but hopefully still give me the ability to make my code playground concept work :)

--
Damon Oehlman
t: DamonOehlman

James Hodgson

Sep 27, 2011, 9:57:44 PM9/27/11
to ti...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, that's the trouble I had. Basically I wanted to be lazy and replace the walmart variable you had with my own JSON data and go from there.

I wanted to make a few little changes, e.g. changing the time resolution from years to weeks, but I think I could have figured that out.

Also I wanted to see what kind of visual changes I could figure out how to make.

Damon Oehlman

Sep 28, 2011, 2:44:21 AM9/28/11
to ti...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jim,

Have a look at this one and let me know how you go:

Not all the demos have been ported across to the new format, but I'll get there.  I think it's more readable in general.

If any of you are interested, it's built using the following tool, which I've written to help make the process of writing demos for javascript (and CSS I guess) demos easier:

Cheers,
Damon.

James Hodgson

Oct 5, 2011, 4:28:50 PM10/5/11
to ti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Damon! Thanks again for taking a look.

I tried the new HTML you sent, but I get these errors still:
Uncaught ReferenceError: buildUI is not defined (runner.js:357)
Uncaught ReferenceError: T5 is not defined (/map/:59)

I also got a "DAT is not defined" but I stuck in a reference to DAT.GUI.min.js on a hunch and that worked.

Here are all my JS includes:
  <script src="DAT.GUI.min.js"></script>
  <script src="keymaster.min.js"></script>
  <script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.6.4/jquery.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
  <script src="demos/lib/ace/ace.js"></script>
  <script src="demos/lib/ace/theme-twilight.js"></script>
  <script src="demos/lib/ace/mode-javascript.js"></script>
  <script src="builds/tile5.cloudmade.js"></script>
  <script src="demos/data/walmarts.js"></script>
  <script src="runner.js"></script>

Thanks again. Would really love to get this working!