Testers needed for TiddlyFox, a TiddlyWiki extension for Firefox

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 27, 2012, 5:18:28 PM8/27/12
to TiddlyWikiDev
Firefox 15, which is currently in beta but scheduled to be released on
August 28th, finally disables the trick that TiddlyWiki uses for
saving changes to itself (see [1]). From a general security
perspective, this is probably a good thing - especially if you've
watched a less computer-literate friend or relative deal with random
yes/no dialogue boxes; that familiar confirmation dialogue isn't much
protection.

So, I've started work on a little Firefox extension called "TiddlyFox"
that can save files on behalf of TiddlyWiki.

TiddlyFox stays in the background until you load a TiddlyWiki 2.x.x
document from a file: URL. It then patches the TiddlyWiki document on
the fly to have it invoke the extension to save files on it's behalf.

I've tested the extension on Firefox 14 (the current version) and the
beta of Firefox 15.

To install the extension, navigate to [2] in Firefox. You should be
prompted to install the plugin. Then, if you navigate to a TiddlyWiki
document on a file: URI you should get an alert notifying you that
TiddlyFox has patched the document. Save changes should then work in
the normal way.

Right now, the extension is very basic, without a full user interface.
The plan is to add a proper confirmation dialogue, and to extend it
with functionality something like TiddlySnip for clipping bits of web
pages into a TiddlyWiki document. It will also work with TiddlyWiki5
(it doesn't yet).

I'd be very grateful for any testing, and ping me here with any
feedback or questions.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

[1] https://github.com/TiddlyWiki/tiddlywiki/issues/101
[2] https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/raw/master/tiddlyfox/extension/tiddlyfox.xpi

--
Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 28, 2012, 2:49:46 AM8/28/12
to julien23, tiddly...@googlegroups.com
It is definitely frustrating to have to start using an extension. On the upside, it does enable some other useful stuff (like the possibility of TiddlySnip-like functionality).

The extension is so small that I plan to distribute it embedded within TW5 itself. So, if you've got a TW file but don't have TiddlyFox installed, you'll be able to right click and save a special like within TiddlyWiki in order to extract and save the extension.

Best wishes

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston

On 28 Aug 2012, at 07:44, julien23 <jbou...@capsule-ea.fr> wrote:

finally disables the trick that TiddlyWiki uses for
saving changes to itself
TW used to be very easy to use from whatever browser or computer : self contained, no extension needed ...
It all started to mess from FF4 and its to security restrictions...
I hope TW5 will give us back our beloved self contained, no extension needed TW ...

with functionality something like TiddlySnip
rebirth of TiddlySnip is indeed welcome !

Thanks all developpers

Julien

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 28, 2012, 4:31:21 AM8/28/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, julien23

For example LoadTiddlersPlugin is broken with lan folders
Can you please keep in mind load and save to local folders while writing your extension ?

At the moment TiddlyFox only implements the file operations required for saving changes. In particular, the implementation will currently only load the main HTML file.

I can't force me customers or employee to use FF.
Other browsers will be supported with dedicated extensions as well ?

It doesn't look like this approach will work in Safari or Chrome due to their more stringent security rules. I've yet to investigate IE add-ons.

In TW5 there is a fallback standards compliant save-in-browser function that means that you will always be able to save changes, albeit clunkily. Other options with a more convenient user experience include installing node.js (which is a clean one-click install these days).

Best wishes

Jeremy

thanks

Julien

PMario

Aug 29, 2012, 10:56:43 AM8/29/12
to TiddlyWikiDev
Just did a test with vanilla TW 2.6.5, FF15.0 on ubuntu 12.04.

Saving from a file TW just works out of the box.

-m

PMario

Aug 29, 2012, 11:24:45 AM8/29/12
to TiddlyWikiDev
Tested with win7 64bit, FF15
Saving a vanilla TW 2.6.5 works out of the box.

Installed the TiddlyFox addOn
Got a message as TW loads.
Saving seems to work too.

-m

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 29, 2012, 12:13:14 PM8/29/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean that in your testing TW5 doesn't need to use TiddlyFox in
order to save changes on Firefox 15 under Ubuntu?

Best wishes

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston
jeremy...@gmail.com

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 29, 2012, 5:04:21 PM8/29/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
> Do you mean that in your testing TW5 doesn't need to use TiddlyFox in
> order to save changes on Firefox 15 under Ubuntu?

It appears that if one updates from an earlier version of Firefox then
any permissions granted (and remembered) to let TiddlyWiki save
changes will continue to apply. It remembers the URIs of all the
TiddlyWiki's that have had permission granted.

So, can you retest with a TiddlyWiki file that has been newly renamed
to a unique name?

Many thanks,

Jeremy

> Best wishes
>
> Jeremy
>
> --
> Jeremy Ruston
> jeremy...@gmail.com
>

> On 29 Aug 2012, at 15:56, PMario <pmar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just did a test with vanilla TW 2.6.5, FF15.0 on ubuntu 12.04.
>>
>> Saving from a file TW just works out of the box.
>>
>> -m

PMario

Aug 29, 2012, 7:26:04 PM8/29/12
to TiddlyWikiDev
On Aug 29, 11:04 pm, Jeremy Ruston <jeremy.rus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, can you retest with a TiddlyWiki file that has been newly renamed
> to a unique name?
right.
I did rename the file and saving didn't work
Activated TiddlyFox and it did save.

I think the "activating TiddlyFox dialog" should be removed, imo it's
just distracting. If I do open a TW, I want to be able to save.

thx for the fix :)
-m

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 30, 2012, 4:37:36 AM8/30/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
> I think the "activating TiddlyFox dialog" should be removed, imo it's
> just distracting. If I do open a TW, I want to be able to save.

The idea is that the alert will turn into a proper confirmation
dialogue along with a "remember this setting for next time" checkbox.
In other words, just like the existing experience on Firefox.

Best wishes

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Jon

Aug 30, 2012, 3:56:26 PM8/30/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, TiddlyWikiDev

So, I've started work on a little Firefox extension called "TiddlyFox"
that can save files on behalf of TiddlyWiki.

 TiddlyFox works properly for me and makes TWs saveable after the Firefox 15 upgrade. Thanks for this!

It's a shame Mozilla went this way. One of the beauties of TW was that it could be shared by attaching a single file or sharing a single file in Dropbox. For the less computer-literate, having to also install an add-on is going to steepen the curve significantly.

Related: Firefox has released a major upgrade for Android. MUCH improved functionality, and apparently the ability to use add-ons. It renders TiddliWikis far better than its predecessor and looks like it might be better than Dolphin or AndTidWiki...except that, guess what? The ability to save a TW has been lost....

--Jon

whatever

Aug 31, 2012, 1:19:04 PM8/31/12
to TiddlyWikiDev
Yeah, the popup is annoying, especially when you have five wikis open
in the browser when it loads. I tested it on two comps, both Waterfox
15 and Win 7 64-bit and it works okay.

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 2, 2012, 2:04:04 PM9/2/12
to midpeter444, tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael

Many thanks for the feedback. I'm working on adding auto-updating to
TiddlyFox. The plan is also to add a checkbox to prevent the dialogue
box from appearing a second time for a given file.

Best wishes

Jeremy

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM, midpeter444 <mpete...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> Thanks for doing the TiddlyFox plugin. Here are my results:
>
> I'm on Ubuntu (Xubuntu) 11.10, using Firefox 15 and I tested a newly
> downloaded 2.6.5 TW.
>
> First I downloaded and installed your TiddlyFox plugin. I was able to save
> my previous 2.6.4 TW (which was already and still working due to being in
> the prefs.js file) and a new 2.6.5 - both worked, but requiring you to click
> the TiddlyFox dialog box.
>
> Next, I disabled the TiddlyFox plugin and then edited by
> $HOME/.mozilla/xy_random/prefs.js file like so:
>
> user_pref("capability.principal.codebase.p83.granted",
> "UniversalXPConnect");
> user_pref("capability.principal.codebase.p83.id",
> "file:///home/midpeter444/spideroak/wiki/my-new-wiki.html");
> user_pref("capability.principal.codebase.p83.subjectName", "");
>
> and that also works to save the new 2.6.5 wiki without the TiddlyFox plugin.
>
> It's nice to have two ways to solve this. I will probably go with the
> manual editing step to avoid the dialog popup. I will have to solve this on
> my Windows work computer in a few days when I get in the office again.
>
> -Michael

Lyall

Sep 5, 2012, 7:38:48 PM9/5/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, TiddlyWikiDev, jeremy...@gmail.com
Thanks. Seems to work  :)
Tested on Firefox 15, linux, 64 bit.

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 9, 2012, 7:08:01 AM9/9/12
to TiddlyWikiDev
I've just uploaded a new revision of TiddlyFox that incorporates a fix
for problems running under Windows XP. Please update to the new
version and report any issues,

Many thanks,

Jeremy

okido

Sep 9, 2012, 10:17:26 AM9/9/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, TiddlyWikiDev, jeremy...@gmail.com
Used FFPortable 15.0 on WIN7 Starter, after installing tiddlyfox saving a TW works.
TiddlySnip 1.21 works on 15.0 without tiddlyfox installed.

Okido

Stephan Hradek

Sep 10, 2012, 1:14:37 AM9/10/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, TiddlyWikiDev, jeremy...@gmail.com
I've downloaded (2nd link in your first post correct?) and tried on Win7 with FF15 Portable and I get the message that UniversalXPconnect was not allowed when trying to browse for a plugin using the ImportExport Package from TiddlyTools. See Attachment.
NoImport.png

Eric Shulman

Sep 10, 2012, 1:40:21 AM9/10/12
to TiddlyWikiDev
On Sep 9, 10:14 pm, Stephan Hradek <stephan.hra...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> I've downloaded (2nd link in your first post correct?) and tried on Win7
> with FF15 Portable and I get the message that UniversalXPconnect was not
> allowed when trying to browse for a plugin using the ImportExport Package
> from TiddlyTools. See Attachment.

The TiddlyTools ImportTiddlersPlugin does it's own file I/O handling.
As a result, TiddlyFox has no effect on the plugin behavior.
Unfortunately, FF15 no longer supports PrivilegeManager functions
needed to obtain UniversalXPConnect access (to read the local file
system info). I need to investigate and experiment a bit to find a
solution, and then re-write portions of the ImportTiddlersPlugin code
(and other plugins that do similar file I/O) accordingly. Regretably,
this will take a bit of time, as I am currently working on other
tasks. I'll post a follow up when I have more news...

-e

Stephan Hradek

Sep 10, 2012, 3:14:37 AM9/10/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
:( But many, many thanks for your reply and all your work.

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 14, 2012, 12:39:46 PM9/14/12
to Alice, tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alice

> Installed TiddlyFox 1.0Alpha2 on a windows 7 machine running Firefox 15.0.1,
> but I seem unable to get my TiddlyWikis (all of them version 2.2.4) to save.
> I don't get an error message, but I don't get the small pop-up about
> patching the wikis either. Is there anything else I need to do but
> download/enable the plugin? Just opening one of my tiddly wikis does not
> seem to be enough.

Installing the plugin and then opening a TiddlyWiki document from a
file:// URI should be enough.

Conceivably one of your other Firefox extensions might be interfering
with things, so it may be worth trying again with all other extensions
disabled.

I don't have a copy of TiddlyWiki 2.2.4 to hand (it's not in the
archive: http://tiddlywiki.com/archive/), so there might also be
something peculiar about that version that trips up TiddlyFox. Perhaps
you could also try a test with a freshly downloaded copy of TiddlyWiki
from tiddlywiki.com?

Good luck,

Cheers

Jeremy

Alice

Sep 14, 2012, 3:49:53 PM9/14/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Alice, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hey Jeremy,

I tried it with all other plugins disabled (I only had firebug on), but it is still not working with 2.2.4 - however the newest tiddly wiki version does work even with Firebug enabled. I guess I have to stop being lazy and update to the newer versions more often :)

Thanks for your time, so glad it is working again.

~ Alice

(ps - if you like I can upload a 2.2.4 wiki somewhere. Since it is so outdated though it may be a waste of time checking it out.)

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 15, 2012, 12:25:52 PM9/15/12
to muck, tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Muck

Does it work with a fresh TiddlyWiki downloaded from tiddlywiki.com?

I'll prepare a new version of the extension with better debugging info
to make it easier to figure out what's going wrong.

Best wishes

Jeremy

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 12:09 AM, muck <jerun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No Joy
> The plugin pops up a message saying it's working with my twiki and clicking
> save no longer complains about permissions.
> BUT
> No content is saved to either the original file or a backup.
> Opening wiki using file:// protocol.
>
> FF 15.0.1
> TiddlyWiki 2.6.5
> Windows 7

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 16, 2012, 3:03:34 PM9/16/12
to Alice, tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alice,

I've posted an update to the extension which should work with version
2.2.4 TiddlyWiki documents. You'll need to download it direct from
GitHub:

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/raw/master/tiddlyfox/extension/tiddlyfox.xpi

Let me know how you get on,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Alice

Sep 19, 2012, 3:41:56 AM9/19/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Alice, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy,

I tested the new version and it solved the problem with the 2.2.4 Wikis. Thanks a lot for the great work :)

Regards,
Alice

Ash

Sep 19, 2012, 11:31:19 AM9/19/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, julien23
It's a crying shame and, for me at least, really spoils the whole point of TiddlyWiki. It no longer works out of the box and I can't use them on whatever computer I want without installing something extra first.

Has anyone reached out to the Mozilla devs to get a way to have this restriction lifted a little? Do they know they have unintentionally ruined a really useful "app"?

While I understand the security concerns, there must be a way to allow TiddlyWikis to work out of the box. Perhaps the browser could allow a file to write to itself instead of the whole filesystem. Perhaps WHATWG or the HTML5 working groups? Can anyone with knowledge of the mozilla/standards process submit a patch that would remedy this and be accepted?

TiddlyWiki of old was ahead of its times and it's really frustrating that browser improvements are actually putting one of the most innovative uses of JavaScript back 10 years!

--
Ash
In Frustration.

TonyM

Sep 24, 2012, 1:12:05 AM9/24/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy,

This is largely working as advertised but as Andy97 posts we have in effect lost our backups. I use Lessbackups Plugin (http://mptw.tiddlyspot.com/#LessBackupsPlugin) to keep periodical backups. However during backup it always saves the tiiddlywiki by removing any extended character through all my tiddlers to � (Diamond with a ? in it).

Save, Save as (From Back stage http://www.tiddlytools.com/#SaveAsPluginInfo) are not causing this behavior.But "Save As" seems to have triggered an inability to save the tiddlywiki (Restart FF fixes this - Updates lost).

I also have http://www.minormania.com/tiddlylock/tiddlylock.html installed.

I am using the updated extension https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/raw/master/tiddlyfox/extension/tiddlyfox.xpi

Just ask if I can help any more.

Thanks
Tony

Jack Pommer

Sep 25, 2012, 1:14:49 AM9/25/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, TiddlyWikiDev, jeremy...@gmail.com

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 26, 2012, 8:28:14 AM9/26/12
to Jack Pommer, tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony, Andy

Thanks for letting me know about the problem with unicode characters
in backup pathnames, I'll look into it as soon as I can.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Yakov

Sep 29, 2012, 8:33:53 PM9/29/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, TiddlyWikiDev, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hello Jeremy,

I've got four points about TiddlyFox:

* seems that it works correctly for me (FF 15, Win 7 x64, TW with cyrillics)
* enable/disable TiddlyFox dialogue pops up each time I load a TW -- would be nice if it will be possible to select "don't ask for this TiddlyWiki again"
* more technical issue: see [1]
* finally, the problem with FF15 is also present in Android, so if you can make the extension available in FF for Android, it will be very helpful

Best regards,
Yakov.

Jeremy Ruston

Oct 1, 2012, 11:53:21 AM10/1/12
to Yakov, tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yakov

> * seems that it works correctly for me (FF 15, Win 7 x64, TW with cyrillics)

Great, glad to hear it.

> * enable/disable TiddlyFox dialogue pops up each time I load a TW -- would
> be nice if it will be possible to select "don't ask for this TiddlyWiki
> again"

Yes, that's my number 1 outstanding feature

> * more technical issue: see [1]

Yes, I am also planning to support importing, but there's quite a bit
of work involved.

> * finally, the problem with FF15 is also present in Android, so if you can
> make the extension available in FF for Android, it will be very helpful

I don't have any experience of Firefox on Android, and don't know
whether it supports the necessary file APIs.

I had a quick look through the material linked from here:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Extensions/Firefox_on_Android

I've updated TiddlyFox to mark it as compatible with Firefox for
Android. I'd be very surprised if it worked properly, but do give it a
go and let me know how you get on,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Yakov

Oct 3, 2012, 12:45:15 PM10/3/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Yakov, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy,

> I don't have any experience of Firefox on Android, and don't know
> whether it supports the necessary file APIs.

It supported at least in previous versions (saving worked).

> I had a quick look through the material linked from here:

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Extensions/Firefox_on_Android

> I've updated TiddlyFox to mark it as compatible with Firefox for
> Android. I'd be very surprised if it worked properly, but do give it a
> go and let me know how you get on,

Seems that something is wrong: TiddlyFox is not found among extensions for Android [1] and desktop version of plugin is not installed if I try it (from desktop extensions site). Installation sais (translating from Russian): "TiddlyFox extension for Firefox can't be installed as it is not compatible with Firefox 15.0.1".

Jeremy Ruston

Oct 3, 2012, 12:58:10 PM10/3/12
to Yakov, tiddly...@googlegroups.com

It supported at least in previous versions (saving worked).

Terrific, that seems hopeful.

> I had a quick look through the material linked from here:

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Extensions/Firefox_on_Android

> I've updated TiddlyFox to mark it as compatible with Firefox for
> Android. I'd be very surprised if it worked properly, but do give it a
> go and let me know how you get on,

Seems that something is wrong: TiddlyFox is not found among extensions for Android [1] and desktop version of plugin is not

No, I'm afraid this update won't hit AMO for a few days, and in the meantime you'll have been directed to the old version. Are you able to install the XPI direct from GitHub?

Best wishes

Jeremy

Yakov

Oct 3, 2012, 1:14:40 PM10/3/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Yakov
No, I'm afraid this update won't hit AMO for a few days, and in the meantime you'll have been directed to the old version. Are you able to install the XPI direct from GitHub?

Not sure what XPI is.. I can go to GitHub but if something needs some sort of compiling in Android, I'm not sure.

Jeremy Ruston

Oct 3, 2012, 2:01:21 PM10/3/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Yakov
> Not sure what XPI is.. I can go to GitHub but if something needs some sort
> of compiling in Android, I'm not sure.

The master copy of the extension is stored at:

https://github.com/TiddlyWiki/TiddlyFox/raw/master/tiddlyfox.xpi

On desktop Firefox, you can install TiddlyFox by pasting that URL into
the address bar and pressing enter. Of course, it may not be so easy
on Mobile Firefox...

Many thanks,

Jeremy

> --
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/tiddlywikidev?hl=en.

Yakov

Oct 3, 2012, 2:12:42 PM10/3/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Yakov, jeremy...@gmail.com
Ah, that's a file type of FF extension. Ok, going through the link did download and install the plugin (it is even displayed in the plugin manager). However, if I open a TiddlyWiki, it doesn't even ask if I want to enable saving, and saving doesn't work. May be it doesn't recognize a TW..

Yakov

Oct 3, 2012, 2:44:22 PM10/3/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Yakov, jeremy...@gmail.com
By the way, the same story with Aurora (17).

Jeremy Ruston

Oct 5, 2012, 1:12:57 PM10/5/12
to Yakov, tiddly...@googlegroups.com
> Ah, that's a file type of FF extension. Ok, going through the link did
> download and install the plugin (it is even displayed in the plugin
> manager). However, if I open a TiddlyWiki, it doesn't even ask if I want to
> enable saving, and saving doesn't work. May be it doesn't recognize a TW..

That does seem very hopeful. Accordingly, last night I downloaded the
Android Emulator on my Mac, with a view to trying out Mobile Firefox
for myself. Unfortunately, the emulator is excruciatingly slow and
crashy, and I didn't get further than successfully installing Mobile
Firefox. I'll keep bashing away at it.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Yakov

Oct 7, 2012, 2:33:26 PM10/7/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Yakov, jeremy...@gmail.com
Thanks Jeremy, your help is very much appreciated. Best regards, Yakov.

Måns

Oct 12, 2012, 3:58:54 AM10/12/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, TiddlyWikiDev, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy

It seems that the TiddlyFox-extention doesn't solve saving, when a TW is opened in the sidebar in FF 15.0.1 (and 16.0.1).
Could this be implemented/solved somehow ??

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Mark S.

Oct 12, 2012, 12:47:53 PM10/12/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, TiddlyWikiDev, jeremy...@gmail.com
On my FF15 system, I have about a dozen sets like this in pref.js :

  user_pref("capability.principal.codebase.p28.granted", "UniversalXPConnect");
  user_pref("capability.principal.codebase.p28.id", "file://");
  user_pref("capability.principal.codebase.p28.subjectName", "");

Can someone explain what the "p" values means?

Note that none of these specify a specific file.

I seem to be able to SAVE new TW files without Tiddly fox and without having to change anything in the prefs file. None of the TW files that I have been using are listed in the prefs.js. I'm wondering if the "file://" means that any local file can be written to. For me its been mostly importing that has been impacted by FF15.

If not this setting, then there must be some other magic setting that will allow you to save ... because its doing it on my system.

Thanks,
Mark

On Sunday, September 2, 2012 6:22:25 AM UTC-8, midpeter444 wrote:
[...]

Jeremy Ruston

Oct 18, 2012, 3:56:40 AM10/18/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
You mentioned a checkbox appearing a second time. Does this extension (or Firefox) currently display the dialogue box on each launch? Is there a way to prevent this, pending your update that will disable it?

No, I'm afraid there's no workaround until I update the extension - hopefully soon!

Best wishes

Jeremy

Thanks, and great work on getting Firefox to save properly!
James

On Monday, September 3, 2012 4:04:06 AM UTC+10, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
Hi Michael

Many thanks for the feedback. I'm working on adding auto-updating to
TiddlyFox. The plan is also to add a checkbox to prevent the dialogue
box from appearing a second time for a given file.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jeremy Ruston

Nov 8, 2012, 8:42:27 AM11/8/12
to Matt Curcio, TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Matt

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. It sounds like the problem is indeed that TW2.6.7 on Firefox can only import from TiddlyWiki files in the same folder. This problem is fixed in the upcoming version 2.7.0, but in the meantime your best bet is to temporarily move or copy the files into the same folder.

Best wishes

Jeremy

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Matt Curcio <matt.cu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Greeetings All,
I have been an avid fan of tiddlywikis for 3-4 yrs now and use them quite often.  But I am really dismayed by the fact that I cant get older TW to work on my 'new' system.  I recetnly moved to a AMD 64 bit processor and hence  Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with FF 16.0.2 and all hell has broken lose.  I can't get many things to work.

I have installed the tiddlyfox extension and that went well and then downloaded the latest and greatest TW and again all is fine BUT I cannot import my tiddlys into my new TW.  I even went to the java. preferences and no go...  I just read that I may need to put the TW in the same dirs!?!
Really Fussss-trated!

Any other suggestions,
Matt
Message has been deleted

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 15, 2012, 1:30:58 AM12/15/12
to Michel de Greef, TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Michel

I'm sorry you've been having problems. Conceivably there is some issue preventing TiddlyFox from working on IceWeasel, but it's like to be resolvable - we've recently managed to get it working in Firefox for Android.

Are you able to save changes with TiddlyFox if you use a new, fresh TiddlyWiki from tiddlywiki.com?

Best wishes

Jeremy

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Michel de Greef <degreef...@gmail.com> wrote:
Running on Debian Testing (CrunchBang Waldorf) 64 bits and therefore use IceWeasel (17.0.1) rather than FF. TiddlyWiki version
version = 2.6.5 ("October 6, 2011"). TiddlyWiki is using LessbackupsPlugin 3.0.1a,

I have used TiddlyWiki a number of years on a daily basis with very few problems, but not this time it seems!

I downloaded and installed your TiddlyFox plugin.  I was able not able  to save my TiddlyWiki!  Message is "Cannot save changes.. Browser does not support saving...".

Next, I disabled the TiddlyFox plugin and then edited by $HOME/.mozilla/xy_random/
prefs.js file like so:

user_pref("capability.principal.codebase.p83.granted", "UniversalXPConnect");
user_pref("capability.principal.codebase.p83.id", "file:///home/michel/documents/MyTiddlyWiki/MyTiddlyWiki.html");
user_pref("capability.principal.codebase.p83.subjectName", "");

And that did not work any better!

I am about to give up and choose and install a server for my notes, as I do use the wiki on a near constant basis!

Thanks for what has been a great product.  I do understand that the Mozilla/Debian/Iceweasel people have concerns about security, but that should not mean deleting facilities, rather ought to be  perhaps requiring a manual intervention or action.  But, hey, they are the powers that be!  :)

Thanks for any help you may be able to give and let me know if any other info might be helpful! and thank you very much for what has been to me a very helpful and useful software.

Michel

On Tuesday, 28 August 2012 05:18:30 UTC+8, Jeremy Ruston wrote:

I'd be very grateful for any testing, and ping me here with any
feedback or questions.

Vajra Natha

Dec 17, 2012, 1:51:53 PM12/17/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Michel de Greef, jeremy...@gmail.com
I've fixed this by the way - upgrading TW from 2.1.3 to 2.6.6

On Monday, 17 December 2012 16:55:34 UTC+1, Vajra Natha wrote:
Hi! Just tried to use my tiddlywiki today & it won't save. My firafox must have updated itself recently. I'm using 17.0.1 I downloaded TiddlyFox but it doesn't seem to make any difference. My OS is debian stable.

This is a bit of a disaster for me as I use
tiddlywiki for almost everything!

Matt Curcio

Dec 20, 2012, 12:18:07 PM12/20/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I cannot get my imports from 2.3.3 to 2.6.6 to work at all.  I get a Netscape security issue pop. I am not sure that I find TW worth it if I can upgrade from version to version.

Thank You,

Matt Curcio
M: 401-316-5358
E: matt.cu...@gmail.com
TW error Screenshot - 12202012 - 12:15:40 PM.png

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 23, 2012, 8:58:16 AM12/23/12
to TiddlyWikiDev
Hi all,
I cannot get my imports from 2.3.3 to 2.6.6 to work at all.  I get a Netscape security issue pop. I am not sure that I find TW worth it if I can upgrade from version to version.

Hi Matt

I'm sorry you've been having problems. I'd suggest trying the new TiddlyWiki beta at http://tiddlywiki.com/beta, along with the latest version of TiddlyFox from:

Best wishes

Jeremy

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Vajra Natha <vay...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've fixed this by the way - upgrading TW from 2.1.3 to 2.6.6

On Monday, 17 December 2012 16:55:34 UTC+1, Vajra Natha wrote:
Hi! Just tried to use my tiddlywiki today & it won't save. My firafox must have updated itself recently. I'm using 17.0.1 I downloaded TiddlyFox but it doesn't seem to make any difference. My OS is debian stable.

This is a bit of a disaster for me as I use
tiddlywiki for almost everything!

Thank You,

Matt Curcio
M: 401-316-5358
E: matt.cu...@gmail.com

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Paul Flint

Dec 23, 2012, 11:28:28 AM12/23/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Greetings Jeremy,

I intend to re-check my ability to get linux firefox 17 to work with:
var version = {title: "TiddlyWiki", major: 2, minor: 7, revision: 0, date: new Date("December 15, 2012"), extensions: {}};

using tiddlyfox.

In the meanwile, note that I sent you a conventional email that contained the following observation:

As a fan and a user of Tiddlywikis for quite a while, the closing of the privilegeManager functions in aparently all browsers is
a real problem for me.  Several observations:

With file based tiddlers:
- Tiddlyfox works with Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Chrome and rekonq seem to be most uncooperative
 - Firefox 16 and above do not appear to work with your Tiddlyfox plugin (I am reconfirming this :^).

The positive observation I deliver is that all of these use cases still work perfectly when you use a ziddly-wiki.
Ziddly wiki is a Zope II implemenation for server side tiddly wiki use.
This is old and abandoned, but actually works, writes tiddly wikis consistently.

This issue is a distraction for all of us.  If you have time to guide me I would be happy to help.

Thanks for the years of tiddling and...

Kindest Regards,

Flint

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 24, 2012, 7:39:06 AM12/24/12
to Paul Flint, TiddlyWikiDev
I intend to re-check my ability to get linux firefox 17 to work with:
var version = {title: "TiddlyWiki", major: 2, minor: 7, revision: 0, date: new Date("December 15, 2012"), extensions: {}};

using tiddlyfox.

In the meanwile, note that I sent you a conventional email that contained the following observation:

Thank you, I'm afraid I've been in email bankruptcy recently...

As a fan and a user of Tiddlywikis for quite a while, the closing of the privilegeManager functions in aparently all browsers is
a real problem for me.  Several observations:

With file based tiddlers:
- Tiddlyfox works with Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Is that a typo? As far as I know the ActiveX file control that TiddlyWiki uses for saving is still present in modern desktop versions of IE. However, it's never been a satisfactory solution as it is limited to handling pure ASCII text, and the workarounds that TiddlyWiki uses to work with it's UTF-8 content are brittle and compromise the design on other browsers too.

- Chrome and rekonq seem to be most uncooperative

Some people report no problems with using TiddlySaver.jar on Chrome, but it evidently rather depends on having a working Java run time environment.

 - Firefox 16 and above do not appear to work with your Tiddlyfox plugin (I am reconfirming this :^).

Correction, TiddlyFox does definitely work on Firefox 16 and 17, not only for me on my OS X machine, but other users have also reported success, too. There's something going wrong in your environment that we need to debug, but TiddlyFox is basically sound.

The positive observation I deliver is that all of these use cases still work perfectly when you use a ziddly-wiki.
Ziddly wiki is a Zope II implemenation for server side tiddly wiki use.
This is old and abandoned, but actually works, writes tiddly wikis consistently.

Well, ZiddlyWiki is really very old in TiddlyWiki terms, and I wouldn't recommend using it.

This issue is a distraction for all of us.  If you have time to guide me I would be happy to help.

My perspective is that we've enjoyed a few years where the browser has been usable on it's own as a general purpose computing environment -- by which I mean the ability to do useful work with standalone HTML files stored locally. But it's now clear that browser makers are valuing "security" above all else, and are all in their own way steadily eroding the (dangerous) standalone capabilities of browsers. That sounds bad, but in fact it is eclipsed by a much bigger trend, that of using smartphones and tablets instead of desktop computers. These devices have never supported general purpose computing in the browser.

While there are some strong use cases for a read-only TiddlyWiki (eg documentation distribution), obviously the real value of the thing comes from the ability to save changes. In TiddlyWiki5 we have a range of options:

- TiddlyFox will continue to be supported in desktop and mobile versions of Firefox
- TW5 can be hosted on TiddlyWeb or TiddlySpaec
- TW5 can be run as a node.js app (in the same manner as ZiddlyWiki) to which one navigates in the browser, and uses just like a conventional web app
- TW5 can be hosted on a cloud service like Dropbox, and then changes saved using the cloud service APIs
- TW5 has a lowest common denominator "download to save" option that allows changes to be saved on almost any standards compliant browser. The technique is rather manual and inconvenient, but it means that users have an "in extremis" way of saving changes when out and about. I think this is very significant: I think many users are happy to customise their "home" browser with things like TiddlyFox, but still value the ability to walk up to any browser with a USB port and do useful work

More than that, there is a big trend towards environments that allow HTML5 apps like TW5 to be directly executed in a number of ways:

- App.js merges node.js APIs with a built in browser allowing apps to be packaged as a desktop app - http://appjs.org
- Node-Webkit packs WebKit with node.js into a desktop app - https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit
- Windows 8 supports HTML/JavaScript apps with privileged file system access

There are going to be more and more of these, frequently equipped with the node.js APIs that TW5 already uses.

So, I think the future of TW5 will still be based around the single file edition as the lowest common denominator, but that it will be packaged up in a variety of ways so that you'll be able to have a good experience on Android, iOS, Windows etc.

In terms of your offer to help, there are a number of explorations and investigations that would be valuable - for instance, I don't think anyone is looking at Windows 8 JS apps, or node-webkit. I'm corresponding with the developer of TWEdit with a view to adapting it for TW5. If there's any areas of particular interest for you I may be able to make more helpful suggestions,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Thanks for the years of tiddling and...

Kindest Regards,

Flint

Yakov

Jan 2, 2013, 12:52:22 PM1/2/13
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Yakov, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy,

first, I'd like to mention that no changes in TiddlyFox is needed to support loadRemoteFile in FireFox. In SharedTiddlersPlugin, I applied the same fixes that Eric introduced in tw 2.7.0 to httpReq, and including now works (the new version of STP is not published yet, though).

Second, I've seen you mentioned some problems with your email, so perhaps my response about backups in Android got lost too. For this case, here it is:

I can confirm that the backups has encoding problems. I tested FF beta 18.0 (current build, the number is not shown somewhy) in Android 2.3.6 and got texts like "A>1@0BL C65 =0?8A0==>5," etc instead of initial texts in Russian.

Quite the same story with FF beta 18.0 in Android 4.0.3. I didn't get the suggestion by FrD, though. FF doesn't give me an option of ISO-8859-15, so I can't reproduce this.

Best regards,
Yakov.

Jeremy Ruston

Feb 26, 2013, 10:57:27 AM2/26/13
to Nikhil Sheth, tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nikhil

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

The latest version of TiddlyFox has been updated to only prompt once for each TiddlyWiki document. It hasn't yet made it through to the Mozilla Addons site, so you'll need to install it by pasting this address into Firefox:

Let me know how you get on,

Best wishes

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston

On 26 Feb 2013, at 16:51, Nikhil Sheth <nikh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Jeremy,
Thank you so much for the work you've done so far. I've been using Tiddlywiki on and off since 2009 and it's priceless to me.
I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 and Firefox 19.0 (just updated). Installed the tiddlyox extension, restarted browser and it's working well; I'm able to save changes to my tiddlywiki file now (not sure which version it is, but I'd downloaded it around september 2012)

One triviality: Everytime the tab is reloaded, I get this popup titled "[Javascript Application]":
TiddlyFox: Enabling TiddlyWiki file saving capability for:
file:///media/REALM%202/Good%20causes/Swaraj%20University/daily%20log.html
There's a cancel and an OK button but both have the same, ie, no effect. It's just an FYI alert. So could you program the extension to make this resemble the less intrusive "downloads completed" alert that swims up in the bottom right? Or include a preference to turn off these alerts? Or not repeat alerts for the same file?

Thanks again
Nikhil
Pune, India

Yakov

Feb 26, 2013, 12:02:00 PM2/26/13
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Nikhil Sheth
Hi Jeremy,

вторник, 26 февраля 2013 г., 19:57:27 UTC+4 пользователь Jeremy Ruston написал:
Hi Nikhil

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

The latest version of TiddlyFox has been updated to only prompt once for each TiddlyWiki document. It hasn't yet made it through to the Mozilla Addons site, so you'll need to install it by pasting this address into Firefox:

that link didn't work for me (404 error), probably that should be https://github.com/TiddlyWiki/TiddlyFox/blob/master/tiddlyfox.xpi (though, with this one I succeeded only by downloading the extension and installing it from the local file system).

By the way, approving each document only once is great, pity that the version in the FireFox extensions repository is not updated yet.

Best regards,
Yakov.

Jeremy Ruston

Feb 26, 2013, 12:20:55 PM2/26/13
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Nikhil Sheth
Thanks Yakov, my mistake.

(The latest version of TiddlyFox has been rejected by AMO because it stores preferences in LocalStorage rather than Firefox's preferences API. I'll produce an update as soon as I can).

Best wishes

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston

Yakov

Mar 13, 2013, 7:35:42 PM3/13/13
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Nikhil Sheth
Hi Jeremy,

I think I have bad news. Today I edited couple of my TWs (fortunately minor ones) via FF (with TiddlyFox) and they got badly corrupted. Those wikis contain text in cyrillics, and seem to be wrongly encoded. Auto-decoding via some online survice shows that the encoding is partially CP1163, partially ISO-8859-1 (and sometimes even that is not 100% correct). Fortunately, I've restored everything via decoding.

Both TW are 2.6.5, one of the has only one plugin (which sets persistent options), the other has some more. FireFox v19.0, win7 x64. Not sure about TiddlyFox version, but the file creation date in downloads is 3.03.2013 which looks like the latest time I updated TF. The bug is reproducable: I copy a TW, open in FF, save, reload -- and here it is, with corrupted data. For convenience, here's two copies of those wikis, before and after saving.

Best regards,
Yakov.

вторник, 26 февраля 2013 г., 21:20:55 UTC+4 пользователь Jeremy Ruston написал:
fet mr copy for brutal test - after.html
fet mr copy for brutal test - before.html

chris...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2013, 7:42:59 AM3/14/13
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013, Yakov wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> I think I have bad news. Today I edited couple of my TWs (fortunately minor
> ones) via FF (with TiddlyFox) and they got badly corrupted. Those wikis
> contain text in cyrillics, and seem to be wrongly encoded. Auto-decoding
> via some online survice shows that the encoding is partially CP1163,
> partially ISO-8859-1 (and sometimes even that is not 100% correct).
> Fortunately, I've restored everything via decoding.

Not Jeremy, but I have a guess about what's going on. I would guess
that both TiddlyWiki and TiddlyFox are predisposed to treating all
content as UTF-8 encoded and _nothing_ else and don't bother to
check before decoding or encoding what encoding might already be
present.

TiddlyWeb certainly takes this tactic. It minimizes complexity while
maximizing possible character representations.
--
Chris Dent http://burningchrome.com/
[...]

Yakov

Mar 14, 2013, 7:56:23 PM3/14/13
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I'm afraid I'm not that familiar with the technical details (of the saving process) to understand what do you mean.

This test causes corruption of the whole non-latin content, not just of the part which was edited, so I don't understand what do you mean by

>  treating all content as UTF-8 encoded and _nothing_ else and don't bother to check before decoding or encoding what encoding might already be present

The stored (non-edited) content should probably be in UTF-8 as TW edited it with its own engines, shouldn't it?

Best regards,
Yakov.

Arc Acorn

Mar 15, 2013, 5:00:21 AM3/15/13
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
My test setup: TiddlyFox 1.0Alpha11 + FireFox 19 on Windows 7 x64 (sp0)
Using the linked: "fet mr copy for brutal test - before.html" file.

I had to manual delete the "SharedTiddlersPlugin" before it would let me make edits, however after that I had no issues making edits and saving with all the non-Latin characters staying intact.

You may try uninstalling TiddlyFox and downloading a fresh copy:
Maybe some how or another you got the older version that had issues of this nature.

Even though I had no issues using/saving this TiddlyWiki (2.6.5) you may still consider updating to 2.7.1:
To see if it helps fix your problem, as issues of a similar nature are listed as the major reason for the update.

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 15, 2013, 9:47:50 AM3/15/13
to TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Yakov

Sorry you've been having problems, but delighted you've been able to save your work. It might be useful for others if you could share your experiences of using the online services that you mentioned.

I'm having trouble with the file "fet mr copy for brutal test - before.html". When it first opens, I get the message "Error when including 'zz microrep commons.html':", and then many macros failing with the error "TypeError: a.fetchTiddler is not a function". I assume this is the problem with the SharedTiddlersPlugin that Arc reports. Can you share a version of the file that doesn't use STP?

Many thanks

Jeremy

Yakov

Mar 19, 2013, 5:45:44 PM3/19/13
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy and Arc,

today I encountered one more corruption, of a big TW (took hell of time to recover), so today is the time to dig this more.

First, the online services. Well, they can be easily found by googling smth like "decode text online".. well, I've done this in russian and hence used russian services, but to give an example, I'll say that the one which worked well is [1]. It is quite straight-forward, the first button under the text area is "fit the encoding", the next one is to be used if you know how the text is actually encoded, the third one is "decode as previously" and the forth line contains examples of what you would get if you decode with another encoding pair (the buttons sais "show"). It is a little bit slow at times, but has a better "toolkit" which allows to decode anyway. Two more notes: if one tries to decode a whole tiddler, he or she should be aware that in the resulting text he'll get "<>" instead of each instance of macro ("<<...>>"); and that for multiline content it's necessary to track extra spacebars in the ends of lines (which appear and which can break tables etc).

Second, I've redone the testing (with the files attached previously). I found that my TF version was 1.0alpha10. The same tests with TW 1.0alpha12 showed no bug. I'll test with other TWs later and report if any problem remained.

As for the "Error when including 'zz microrep commons.html':" message, it's ok, it sais that the TiddlyWiki that is included by <<include>> macro is not actually present.

"TypeError: a.fetchTiddler is not a function" is a more serious issue, I got this bug once or twice in FF but can't reproduce it (aside in FF for Android, where I don't have many tools for debugging). Further details about this bug are welcome in the STP thread [2].

I forgot to test a TW without STP before updating TF, so can't really be sure what is the source of the encoding problem. STP doesn't really do anything with encodings and with the saving procedure as a whole, so I wouldn't expect it to be the source of the problem.. but in principle it can drive some bugs in other engines (TF itself or some more complicated chain).

Arc Acorn

Apr 22, 2013, 3:22:05 AM4/22/13
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
I realize things having to do with nightly builds are always a bit iffy, but I figure'd I would report that TiddlyFox is no longer working as of the Firefox 23.0a1

When trying to save I get the generic "not possible to save changes" notice.

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 22, 2013, 4:46:10 AM4/22/13
to Arc Acorn, TiddlyWikiDev
Thanks Arc, I've downloaded Firefox 23.0a1 on OS X and I'm experiencing the same behaviour. I'll investigate further and post back here,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 22, 2013, 11:53:23 AM4/22/13
to Arc Acorn, TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Arc

It turns out that 23 disables access to local storage from extensions, which is how TiddlyFox has been storing it's preferences.

I've updated TiddlyFox to use the recommended permission API, and it seems to work for me with 23.0a1. It doesn't attempt to transfer any permissions already in local storage, so you will have to re-approve each file that you use.

Download the new version from:

If it looks like it's working I'll submit it to the Mozilla Add-ons site, which will cause it to be autoupdated for most people.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Arc Acorn

Apr 22, 2013, 2:42:44 PM4/22/13
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Arc Acorn, jeremy...@gmail.com
Seems to be working great for 23.0a1, 22.0a2, & 21
Tested on 32x & 64x Windows builds.

It dose however seam to break support for older Firefox builds: Not working on Windows 32x builds for 20,19, &18 (probably more I just have these 3 handy).

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 22, 2013, 3:32:50 PM4/22/13
to Arc Acorn, TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Arc

Thanks once again for your sleuthing. It turns out that the problem is a bug in Mozilla that prevents the preferences API from working correctly on documents loaded from a file URI. Here's the bug:

It appears it was fixed in Firefox 21, which lines up with your tests.

So, frustratingly the current position is:

* We have localstorage-based code that works in Firefox up to and including version 22
* We have nsIPermissionManager-based code that works in Firefox version 21 and up
* The addons.mozilla.org editors require TiddlyFox not to use localstorage in order for new versions to go back in the catalogue

The obvious answer is to carry the code for both mechanisms, and switch according to availability. I'm not sure how that strategy will play with the AMO editors, though.

I'll continue investigations and report back,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 23, 2013, 6:18:30 AM4/23/13
to Arc Acorn, TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Arc

I've gone ahead and created a new further 1.0alpha14 that uses local storage in older versions of Firefox. I'd be grateful if you could give it a go and see how you get on,

Many thanks,

Jeremy

Arc Acorn

Apr 23, 2013, 4:20:47 PM4/23/13
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Arc Acorn, jeremy...@gmail.com
Firefox 18,19,20,21,22,23 :
On every load/start this window shows up:

Outside of that everything seems to be working like normal. Wikis can save/export/make backups and the normal permission box only shows it's self on the first load.

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 23, 2013, 5:06:37 PM4/23/13
to Arc Acorn, TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Arc

Thanks, I've uploaded a new version which should fix that extraneous alert.

As things stand, users will have to re-enable permissions for each TW that they use at the point that they upgrade Firefox to version 23. I'll have a think about strategies for avoiding that.

Best wishes

Jeremy.
Message has been deleted

Arc Acorn

Apr 23, 2013, 6:47:43 PM4/23/13
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Arc Acorn, jeremy...@gmail.com
All looks good!

Re-enabling permissions per TW file isn't really bad, though if I may add a small request on this front:
It would be awesome if there was someway to prevent being asked for permission for permalinks.

Where as currently and for as long as I've been using TiddlyFire I have to allow permissions once for every unique set of permalinks:
empty.html#MakingLists
empty.html#MarkUp
empty.html#jQuery
empty.html#GettingStarted
empty.html#MakingLists MarkUp
empty.html#MakingLists MarkUp jQuery
empty.html#MakingLists MarkUp jQuery GettingStarted
empty.html#MarkUp jQuery
empty.html#MarkUp jQuery GettingStarted
empty.html#jQuery GettingStarted

At this point my main TW has probably accumulates well into the hundreds if not close to a thousand permission grants due to my extensive use of permalinks.

Of course at this point I'm use to clicking okay so often when refreshing and opening temp links It could though of my rythem if that was changed. XD

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 26, 2013, 3:41:32 AM4/26/13
to Daniel Brandes, TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Daniel

Strange. I can confirm that TiddlyFox + TiddlyWiki5 are working together for me on Firefox 21 and Firefox 23alpha, both running on OS X. I've not personally run any tests on Windows, and it looks like portable Firefox only runs on Windows. The error message suggests that the problem is something to do with the format of a path, which is an area of cross platform difficulties between OS X and Windows. I'll have to set up a VM to investigate this further.

Does TiddlyFox work for you on the same browser with classic TW?

Best wishes

Jeremy

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Daniel Brandes <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

I want to use TW5 with the latest Firefox Portable version with TiddlyFox alpha15 installed, but everytime when I want to save, I get the following error.

Do you've any idea what the problem is?
--
Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 27, 2013, 4:58:19 AM4/27/13
to Arc Acorn, TiddlyWikiDev
Re-enabling permissions per TW file isn't really bad, though if I may add a small request on this front:
It would be awesome if there was someway to prevent being asked for permission for permalinks.

Ouch! Sorry about that, rather a silly bug. I'll fix it and post back as soon as I can,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Daniel Brandes

Apr 30, 2013, 2:51:10 AM4/30/13
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Brandes, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy,

the classic version + TiddlyFox is running without problems in the same setup.

Cheers Daniel

Jeremy Ruston

May 1, 2013, 11:15:26 AM5/1/13
to Daniel Brandes, TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Daniel

Thanks for the update. I've still not had time to set up a testing VM for this (my laptop is unusuable while Virtual Box imports .OVA files), but intend to issue an update sharpish that fixes the two recent issues with Windows and permalinks. I've tidied up the issues list on GitHub:

Cheers

Jeremy

Jeremy Ruston

May 8, 2013, 7:28:06 AM5/8/13
to Arc Acorn, TiddlyWikiDev
The problem with TiddlyFox not ignoring the # part of URLs is now fixed. Please give the new release a try:

Best wishes

Jeremy

Arc Acorn

May 8, 2013, 2:19:11 PM5/8/13
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, Arc Acorn, jeremy...@gmail.com
Looks good!
Been using it for a couple hours with plenty of testing and haven't noticed anything other than smooth sailing!
Tanks for the great work! It'll probably save me a scary amount of time over the years not having to click that okay button so many times a day. XD|^^;