Competition for v5.1.21 artwork

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 7, 2019, 4:34:56 AM8/7/19
to TiddlyWiki
For the last few years each release of TiddlyWiki has been accompanied by a custom banner image that is shown on the splash screen and within the opening HelloThere tiddler. You can see the images below in chronological order: I started with the idea of representing the notable new functionality of a release, but found that the details were hard to see on small screens and so have gradually moved towards a simple graphical presentation of the version number.

Matias Goldman suggested some time ago that it might be fun to open up a little competition for designing the next banner.

If you’re interested in submitting an entry, please note:

* The version number (with the correct punctuation) must be clear and readable, otherwise I’m open to any media and style
* The image must be a PNG or JPEG of exactly 560x315 pixels
* The bottom 46 pixels will be obscured by the banner text “What’s new in 5.1.21”

I can only choose a single image for v5.1.21 but if we’re lucky enough to get a lot of entries then I’ll ask the runners up to prepare artwork for the next couple of releases.

Any questions let me know.

Best wishes

Jeremy

@TiddlyTweeter

Aug 7, 2019, 4:45:50 AM8/7/19
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy Ruston wrote:
Any questions let me know.

What's the prize? :-)

I think its a good idea. Images can convey a lot, succinctly.

Part of the issue with computing is that new software features are not always so easy to represent visually. They are often quite abstract.

BUT, sometimes, it is possible.
SO, my query is what is the "headline" change that an image might try to convey for 5.1.21?

Best wishes
Josiah

Mohammad

Aug 7, 2019, 5:07:22 AM8/7/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,
 This is great idea! By the way I like to mention that the 5.1.20 have really very amazing new feature! And I see TW can do many tasks in html design you need to use JavaScript.
The new mathematical operator worth to have a place in new banner!

--Mohammad

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 7, 2019, 5:11:35 AM8/7/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josiah

SO, my query is what is the "headline" change that an image might try to convey for 5.1.21?

We don’t know yet exactly what will be in v5.1.21, which is one of the reasons that I stopped trying to represent the content of the release in the banner. To be clear, v5.1.21 may end up just being a minor release to fix problems in v5.1.20.

But I don’t think that’s a problem: the banner is too small to carry much information.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

TonyM

Aug 8, 2019, 8:43:36 AM8/8/19
to TiddlyWiki
Could I suggest use the 5.1.20 image with a squashed bug on it?

@TiddlyTweeter

Aug 8, 2019, 9:07:37 AM8/8/19
to TiddlyWiki
How about un-squashed bug, but caught ... every bug has a form.

This is BUG 7947a-variant-42

insect.jpg

TT

TonyM

Aug 8, 2019, 6:25:34 PM8/8/19
to TiddlyWiki
I'd prefer cute

TonyM

Aug 8, 2019, 8:45:35 PM8/8/19
to TiddlyWiki
Post script

This thread implies the impending release of 5.1.20, without asking for a commitment, have we an indicator when this may happen?

I am about to put something into "the wild" and would love to include 5.1.20 features. In fact remove some workarounds even if 5.1.21 follows shortly after.

yours humbly
Tony

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 8:25:34 AM UTC+10, TonyM wrote:
I'd prefer cute

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 9, 2019, 3:50:43 AM8/9/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony

This thread implies the impending release of 5.1.20, without asking for a commitment, have we an indicator when this may happen?

I am about to put something into "the wild" and would love to include 5.1.20 features. In fact remove some workarounds even if 5.1.21 follows shortly after.

I’m hoping to release it in the next 24 hours; I’m doing the final pre-release clean up today. If we don’t manage that, it won’t be for another week or so.

Best wishes

Jeremy

yours humbly
Tony

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 8:25:34 AM UTC+10, TonyM wrote:
I'd prefer cute

TonyM

Aug 9, 2019, 5:59:02 AM8/9/19
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy

Thanks, no pressure but it would be nice.

Still enjoy your weekend

Tony

Mark S.

Aug 9, 2019, 11:26:32 AM8/9/19
to TiddlyWiki
Are animated GIF/PNG 's allowed?

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 9, 2019, 11:32:35 AM8/9/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Are animated GIF/PNG 's allowed?

I wondered about that. My concerns would be the file size, the potentially distracting user experience and the fact that playing animated GIFs can burn a noticeable amount of energy.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Matt R

Aug 9, 2019, 4:16:04 PM8/9/19
to TiddlyWiki
Here's an entry.

TiddlyWiki v5.1.21.png

Let me know if you have alteration requests, questions, or anything. Should work well on any background. Can also design other stuff based on release content!

-Matt

Thomas Elmiger

Aug 10, 2019, 6:32:52 AM8/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,

Firstly: Congrats for releasing 5.1.20!

Great idea with the contest, I have one question about the coditions: SVG is not allowed?

* The image must be a PNG or JPEG of exactly 560x315 pixels

Cheers,
Thomas

TonyM

Aug 10, 2019, 9:10:17 AM8/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thomas

Just export it as png in addition to svg?

;)

SylvainComte

Aug 12, 2019, 4:22:08 AM8/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hello,

if it's not too late, here is my tuppenceworth. A hacked split-flap,derivated from this one by Jon-a-tron (licence cc by-nc-sa is OK)

If it is, no matter, I'll re-hack and submit it for 5.1.22 ;-)

cheers,

Sylvain
@sycom
v5-1-21-sycom.png

@TiddlyTweeter

Aug 12, 2019, 4:27:39 AM8/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
SylvainComte wrote:

if it's not too late, here is my tuppenceworth.

(Nice you know what "tuppence" is! :-)

I upvote your image ...

v5-1-21-sycom.png

TT

TonyM

Aug 12, 2019, 10:29:37 AM8/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
I like it

A Gloom

Aug 12, 2019, 9:31:36 PM8/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
>> 5.1.21 most likely be a bug fix for 5.1.20?

well 5.1.20's banner may have to be redone in this manner >> <<

typodemons.jpg

<< is no help >.<

@TiddlyTweeter

Aug 13, 2019, 1:49:56 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
The 5 Tiddlys

Annotation 2019-08-13 194755.jpg

TT

Birthe C

Aug 13, 2019, 2:20:12 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi TiddlyTweeter,

They could maybe enlighten us? I like that it looks as if 2 of them are wearing skirts, a little bit longer for the thin one.
Are they build to burn out fast - I hope not.

Birthe

Thomas Elmiger

Aug 13, 2019, 3:59:42 PM8/13/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
So here’s my tuppenceworth ;–)

PNG: 13 KB / SVG: < 4 KB (attached)

Cheers, Thomas
5-1-21-TE.svg

coda coder

Aug 13, 2019, 4:37:16 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki

Mark S.

Aug 13, 2019, 5:46:59 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
Just a side note. An annoying feature of GG is that when someone
marks a thread as complete for themselves, it also gets marked
for everyone else.

The more logical way for things to work would be to limit the completion flag
to only the original poster.

This thread is marked as complete, which may discourage more participants.

Mat

Aug 13, 2019, 7:54:28 PM8/13/19
to TiddlyWiki
I read Marks post, thinking "yeah, exactly, is there anyone who hasn't noticed how marking "complete" annoyingly shows for everyone... only to found that it was I who had apparently and accidentally pressed the "Mark as complete" in this thread! Definitely not my intention.

<:-)

@TiddlyTweeter

Aug 14, 2019, 4:15:58 AM8/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Birthe

I find it an interesting image...

Annotation 2019-08-13 194755.jpg

Its probably the wrong size and dimension for JR's needs, but since we talking of images that convey about TW I thought it interesting to show.

Its "5";
it conveys idea of "making" as the 5 are obviously each a "bricolage";
it has a friendly feeling;
conveys its more than computer men.

I liked also the "visual pun" on 5.
"5" is unexplored territory but actually might be used well in promotion ...

  -- The Five faces of TiddlyWiki

  -- Five ways to use Tiddlywiki

  -- Five people I know who  TiddlyWiki

etc ...

Finally, you know, those old light-bulbs & valves (used to be in radios) go on forever,

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Aug 14, 2019, 4:37:28 AM8/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Thomas

Nice and bold!

Maybe a bit too much empty space?

J, x

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 14, 2019, 5:24:25 AM8/14/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone for the enthusiasm on this thread! It’s fun, and much better that the artwork should come from the community than me. (Actually the last two banners were made by friends of mine as I was running out of ideas!).

We haven’t discussed how the winner will be picked. A popularity contest seems the obvious way, even though I don’t like the way that it has the slightly unfortunate side effect of drawing attention to “losers” as well as “winners”.

Anyhow, I’ve set up a Google Form with the entries so far:

It’s open for votes now, but I’ve set it up so that you can edit your response (you’ll need to save the link you’re given after submission).

The form is set up for anonymous usage, and doesn’t gather email addresses. That means that there’s nothing stopping abuses like voting multiple times.

I suggest that we accept submissions for another 10 days or so. I’m happy to accept updates to existing submissions but please remember that I generally read this group via email, and so will not see any edits to your posts unless you draw my attention to them.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Matt R

Aug 14, 2019, 1:16:39 PM8/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Just made an update, finally got the gradient the way I wanted it. Much happier with this. Thoughts appreciated.

TiddlyD.png

- Matt

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 14, 2019, 1:47:26 PM8/14/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matt I've updated the artwork on Google Forms,

Best wishes

Jeremy

On 14 Aug 2019, at 18:16, Matt R <3nt...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just made an update, finally got the gradient the way I wanted it. Much happier with this. Thoughts appreciated.

<TiddlyD.png>

- Matt

Pit.W.

Aug 14, 2019, 2:30:02 PM8/14/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Hi Thomas,

    I like that one, it has the cat as a brand logo.

Good from a marketing perspetcive

Pit.W

Am 13.08.2019 um 21:59 schrieb Thomas Elmiger:
So here’s my tuppenceworth ;–)

PNG: 13 KB / SVG: < 4 KB (attached)

Cheers, Thomas

Great idea with the contest, I have one question about the coditions: SVG is not allowed?

Ihre E-Mail-Postfächer sicher & zentral an einem Ort. Jetzt wechseln und alte E-Mail-Adresse mitnehmen! https://www.eclipso.de

Thomas Elmiger

Aug 14, 2019, 2:51:07 PM8/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you, Pit!

The idea with the icon was to have one more element besides font and colour. The icon could be changed to something indicating a special feature of a new release.

Cheers,
Thomas

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 2, 2019, 11:03:50 AM9/2/19
to TiddlyWiki
I've now closed the competition as I prepare to make v5.1.21 as a bug fix release. Congratulations to Sylvain who is declared the winner, with 54% of the 22 votes. Many thanks also to Thomas and Matt and everyone who voted.

I'll open a new thread for the v5.1.22 competition.

Best wishes

Jereym

Sylvain Comte

Sep 2, 2019, 12:18:15 PM9/2/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Wow. Very proud to earn so many votes. Thanks to all.

And now there's one more reason to wait for 5.1.21 :-)

Cheers

Sylvain
@sycom