TiddlyServer as a Mac App

RichardWilliamSmith

Sep 28, 2017, 5:37:36 AM9/28/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi All,

Further to my recent explorations with Tiddlyserver, I *think* I've managed to bundle it into an executable for the MacOS that should "just work" (famous last words).

That should unzip to reveal a single icon, the double clicking of which might (should) launch a terminal window with Tiddlyserver running. It's preconfigured to run on port 8889 and to serve to 0.0.0.0 (the terminal window will tell you the full address including your local ip address)

There are instructions on how you can change the settings and a link to a bit more info about how I made it.

I'd be really grateful if you could let me know if it works, if you're able to test it. It doesn't install anything and the download is only ~18 Mb, but please treat it as a 'beta' and don't trust anything important to it initially.

Hopefully Arlen doesn't mind me releasing it this way? Maybe it is worth trying a similar method for Windows? I'm not able to try myself, I'm afraid. Whatever you would prefer, just let me know.

Regards,
Richard

RichardWilliamSmith

Sep 28, 2017, 6:13:39 AM9/28/17
to TiddlyWiki
Profound apologies if anyone tried this while it was broken. For it was broken. It's fixed now. For some value of fixed.

Arlen Beiler

Sep 28, 2017, 3:08:32 PM9/28/17
to TiddlyWiki
Windows has no equivalent feature. The closest to it would be the start.bat file. In a future release I will try to sort out the file structure so it is easier to understand.

RichardWilliamSmith

Sep 28, 2017, 5:26:09 PM9/28/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Arlen,

But you can still compile your server against nexe to get a single executable, right?

Regards,
Richard

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 7:37:36 PM UTC+10, RichardWilliamSmith wrote:
[...]

Arlen Beiler

Sep 28, 2017, 5:31:08 PM9/28/17
to TiddlyWiki
Possibly. I'll have to check into it sometime.

TonyM

Sep 29, 2017, 9:24:14 AM9/29/17
to TiddlyWiki
Richard and Arlen,

I comming days I will revisit tiddlyserver, test it on my mac mini and windows.

Arlen, I can look into improving windows implementation since Ive been a windows geek far too long.

tony

Alex Hough

Oct 1, 2017, 11:21:48 AM10/1/17
to TiddlyWiki
Dear Richard,

I tried it, there was an error.. see below

----

Last login: Sun Oct  1 16:17:08 on ttys001

users-mbp-2:~ alexhough$ cd /Users/alexhough/Downloads/Tiddlyserver.app/Contents/MacOS/..

users-mbp-2:Contents alexhough$ ./nexeserver.bin

Settings file: /Users/alexhough/Downloads/Tiddlyserver.app/Contents/settings.json

{ Error: listen EADDRINUSE 0.0.0.0:8889

    at Object._errnoException (util.js:1026:11)

    at _exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:1049:20)

    at Server.setupListenHandle [as _listen2] (net.js:1343:14)

    at listenInCluster (net.js:1391:12)

    at doListen (net.js:1500:7)

    at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:141:11)

    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:180:9)

  code: 'EADDRINUSE',

  errno: 'EADDRINUSE',

  syscall: 'listen',

  address: '0.0.0.0',

  port: 8889 }

caught process uncaughtException

(node:455) [DEP0013] DeprecationWarning: Calling an asynchronous function without callback is deprecated.

users-mbp-2:Contents alexhough$

-----

Alex

RichardWilliamSmith

Oct 1, 2017, 6:22:02 PM10/1/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Alex,

"EADDRINUSE 0.0.0.0:8889" suggests that port 8889 is already being used. This is possible but quite unlikely. Are you sure you didn't run it twice? If you go to 127.0.0.1:8889 in your browser, what do you see?

Regards,
Richard

Amit Ahire

Oct 3, 2017, 12:55:02 PM10/3/17
to TiddlyWiki

First of thanks for the Mac port.

I wanted to try TiddleServer -- But I ran into some problems. (Might be quick fix but I cant think of anything myself)

1 - When I try to load my tiddlywiki.info file - I received this msg - "The Tiddlywiki data folder failed to load. To try again, use ?reload=true after making any necessary corrections." -- Any idea of how to fix this?

2 - Why is the CSS screwed in the server ? Even when I try run the server from tiddlywiki - CSS is not working. Might be an issue with my setup? Did the mistake of upgrading to HighSierra as soon as it was available.

[[ This same tiddlywiki.info works perfectly well in the TiddlyDesktop App]]

Thanks. These seems very dump questions but I cant think of anyway to solve it myself.

RichardWilliamSmith

Oct 3, 2017, 5:00:34 PM10/3/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Amit,

I don't know about #1 - maybe Arlen can help? Are you able to launch your Tiddlywiki in the normal way? How did you create the tiddlywiki.info file? Does Tiddlywserver work with a "normal" single-page tiddlywiki?

#2 - I screwed up the css when I packed it as an app - I'll fix it in the future.

If you're interested in how I made an app out of it, you can read my notes here: https://www.didaxy.com/introduction-to-tiddlyserver

Regards,
Richard

Arlen Beiler

Oct 3, 2017, 8:50:20 PM10/3/17
to TiddlyWiki
There should be an error message of some sort in the server console window related to the tiddlywiki.info file not working. Usually it can't find a path for some reason or the json is invalid.

Can you post your tiddlywiki.info file?

Amit Ahire

Oct 6, 2017, 12:36:03 PM10/6/17
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Richard - I will try to fix the CSS or wait for you to release the new update. :)

Amit Ahire

Oct 6, 2017, 12:43:42 PM10/6/17
to TiddlyWiki

Thanks Arlen for the reply. Please find the tiddlewiki.info attached here. (Nothing fancy in it and json is valid)

In the setting.json - I am setting the path of the folder where my wiki folder exist.

In server console - i get "TypeError: Path must be a string. Received undefined"

tiddlywiki.info

Arlen Beiler

Oct 6, 2017, 1:49:27 PM10/6/17
to TiddlyWiki
Since you said it works perfectly in TiddlyDesktop, what version of TiddlyDesktop are you using? Also, please try using the TiddlyServer in this link to make sure it is not something Richard's port. I will try to implement the Mac app soon, so I can support it myself if there are any problems. It could be something related to the Current Directory in the mac app. I will have to look into that. But let me know how this works. https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer/releases/download/2.0.6/TiddlyServer-2.0.6-bundled.zip

RichardWilliamSmith

Oct 6, 2017, 5:20:24 PM10/6/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Amit,

Can you just clarify - are you able to see any wikis using Tiddlyserver? Is it just one that isn't working? Have you tried a single file wiki?

There isn't really any different code in the package I released - I just filled in the settings and added the shell script to run it.

Are you able to post the changes that you made to the settings.json file?

Regards,
Richard

RichardWilliamSmith

Oct 7, 2017, 10:31:31 PM10/7/17
to TiddlyWiki
I'm really sorry to anyone who wasted time with this but in it's current form, it will not work unless you already have Tiddlywiki installed globally (which then invalidates the whole point of this existing). I will fix it, if I can. Sorry again.

Amit Ahire

Oct 8, 2017, 4:38:26 AM10/8/17
to TiddlyWiki
TiddlyServer is working fine. I set up the path in the settings.json and its renders the wiki properly.

In terms of Macapp by Richard - I am new to OSX, but i tried changing the location of the app. I had kept Tiddlesever app in the Applications folder after setting the path in settings.json - Also tried placing the app in a normal folder but still no luck.

Amit Ahire

Oct 8, 2017, 4:41:27 AM10/8/17
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the update Richard. Can you delve a bit more into the issue, if you have a better picture?

RichardWilliamSmith

Oct 8, 2017, 6:45:24 AM10/8/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Amit,

Yes, I'll look into it more when I have time. I want this working, so I'm pretty motivated but, as always, it's a bit more complicated than I was hoping.I'm going to have to actually understand what's going on, instead of making it up as I go along. Le sigh. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Richard