[TW5] Getting 5.1.8 ready for release

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 18, 2015, 2:12:54 PM3/18/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Version 5.1.8 is turning out to be the most significant upgrade to TiddlyWiki since 5.1.0 was released in September. Notable new features include:

* Integrated online plugin library - see here for a brief screencast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLJn_0QgJ6U
* New banner warning when plugins have been modified and a restart is needed
* Seven new translations: Czech, Interlingua, Portuguese, Punjabi, Hindu, Slovak and Spanish
* Much improved documentation, including filter documentation using the new RailroadPlugin to produce dynamic syntax diagrams
* Upgrade to KaTeX 2.0, with better symbol support
* New overlay help panel
* Improved scrolling behaviour, including fixing the problem with unneeded scrolling at startup
* Many minor and internal improvements

With such a big release, there are bound to be wrinkles. For example, it's harder than usual to make sure that backwards compatibility isn't accidentally broken.

So, I'd appreciate your help in kicking the tyres of the new release. Don't switch over to it for everyday use, but please do try upgrading your existing wikis, and verifying that they work OK.

The prerelease is available at:

You can upgrade at:

The things that remain on my todo list for 5.1.8 include:

* Include help plugin in empty.html, or gettingstarted.html
* Re-establish "Configurations" docs section
* Fixing propogation of action widgets

Apart from those issues I intend to now freeze the features for 5.1.8, and focus on getting it ready for release. As ever, any comments or questions are welcome.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

--
Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Arnaud

Mar 18, 2015, 4:00:57 PM3/18/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy

New to this group, but I use TWC for a while. I just start to use TW5.

I've upgraded my file with 5.1.8. prerealease, and it works fine. Not a lot of tiddlers yet, but some SVG code created with Inscape.

I hope this will help.

Kind regards
Arnaud

Le mercredi 18 mars 2015 19:12:54 UTC+1, Jeremy Ruston a écrit :
[...]

Jon

Mar 18, 2015, 4:08:45 PM3/18/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy,

The version is stated as 5.1.7 on the import wizard and in the final upgraded wiki.
Not sure yet if it's just the wrong title or whether the version has remained the same.

Regards
Jon

On Wednesday, 18 March 2015 18:12:54 UTC, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
[...]

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 18, 2015, 4:11:08 PM3/18/15
to Jon, TiddlyWiki
Hi Jon

> The version is stated as 5.1.7 on the import wizard and in the final upgraded wiki.

Whoops, my apologies, the correct URL for the prerelease upgrade is:

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jon

Mar 18, 2015, 4:29:30 PM3/18/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, five...@gmail.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy,

That worked fine.

Thanks
Jon

Jon

Mar 18, 2015, 4:43:17 PM3/18/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, five...@gmail.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy,

Just noticed that for my upgraded wiki, the "Show help panel" in the toolbar isn't present in the Control Panel list after "More actions" although there is a checkbox with no title. When it is clicked, a button with an exclamation mark appears in the Page Toolbar but it doesn't do anything.

Regards
Jon

Mat

Mar 18, 2015, 5:41:21 PM3/18/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Not downloaded but looking directly at prerelease:

The help panel (great addition!!!) has a horizontal scrollbar (FFlatest, Win8.1) but there is no scroll handle. This is probably also why e.g the cheatsheet demo of e.g block-quotes is squashed.

IMO the "X Help" at help panel top should be fixated so you don't have to scroll up inside the help panel again to reach it.

Detail: I'd consider having it say "Help panel" (spelling?) instead of just "Help", so to establish the term (and avoid  "Help thingy", "Help window" etc)  Also this would harmonize with the term Controlpanel.

A tw.com issue I guess, but the banner in the prerelase interfers with the scroll of the help panel.

<:-)

Jed Carty

Mar 18, 2015, 7:05:15 PM3/18/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com

While I haven't found anything in the wiki that is broken, I did get this bit of weirdness from the upgrade tool after I upgraded my site. The 'Powered by TiddlyWiki' banner and the sidebar menu displayed at the bottom are both from the right icon menu I put on my site.

I am using Firefox 35.0.1 on linux mint 17

edit: I should probably remember this isn't tiddlywiki and I should include the image...

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 19, 2015, 7:02:57 AM3/19/15
to Jon, TiddlyWiki
Hi Jon

Just noticed that for my upgraded wiki, the "Show help panel" in the toolbar isn't present in the Control Panel list after "More actions" although there is a checkbox with no title. When it is clicked, a button with an exclamation mark appears in the Page Toolbar but it doesn't do anything.

Please could you post an image?

The help panel is a separate plugin. You can use the new plugin library to install it.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 19, 2015, 7:04:39 AM3/19/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat

> The help panel (great addition!!!) has a horizontal scrollbar (FFlatest, Win8.1) but there is no scroll handle. This is probably also why e.g the cheatsheet demo of e.g block-quotes is squashed.

I don't see a horizontal scroll bar in Firefox on OS X. Can you post a screenshot?

> IMO the "X Help" at help panel top should be fixated so you don't have to scroll up inside the help panel again to reach it.

I agree.

> Detail: I'd consider having it say "Help panel" (spelling?) instead of just "Help", so to establish the term (and avoid  "Help thingy", "Help window" etc)  Also this would harmonize with the term Controlpanel.

Makes sense

> A tw.com issue I guess, but the banner in the prerelase interfers with the scroll of the help panel.

I'm just seeing the ribbon being overlaid by the help panel. Can you post a screenshot?

Many thanks,

Jeremy

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 19, 2015, 7:05:43 AM3/19/15
to TiddlyWiki
> While I haven't found anything in the wiki that is broken, I did get this bit of weirdness from the upgrade tool after I upgraded [[my site|http://ooktech.com/jed/externalbrain/]]. The 'Powered by TiddlyWiki' banner and the sidebar menu displayed at the bottom are both from the right icon menu I put on my site.

That sounds strange. Can you see what is going on - is it a CSS issue?

Best wishes

Jeremy.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Jed Carty <inmy...@gmail.com> wrote:
While I haven't found anything in the wiki that is broken, I did get this bit of weirdness from the upgrade tool after I upgraded [[my site|http://ooktech.com/jed/externalbrain/]]. The 'Powered by TiddlyWiki' banner and the sidebar menu displayed at the bottom are both from the right icon menu I put on my site.

I am using Firefox 35.0.1 on linux mint 17

PMario

Mar 19, 2015, 7:12:45 AM3/19/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 12:04:39 PM UTC+1, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
> The help panel (great addition!!!) has a horizontal scrollbar (FFlatest, Win8.1) but there is no scroll handle. This is probably also why e.g the cheatsheet demo of e.g block-quotes is squashed.
I don't see a horizontal scroll bar in Firefox on OS X. Can you post a screenshot?

With win8.1 FF, I can confirm, that there are scroll bars but no handles.

For a quick test, I did add overflow: auto;   to tc-help-panel and it seems to fix the problem.

.tc-help-panel {
   overflow: auto;
}

PMario

Mar 19, 2015, 7:30:15 AM3/19/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
I did create a pull request.
-m

Mat

Mar 19, 2015, 9:33:51 AM3/19/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com

@Jeremy
Ok, this shows both horiz scrollbar and the interference with vertical sidebarmenu-scrollbar.

Thank you

<:-)

Mat

Mar 19, 2015, 9:39:50 AM3/19/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 12:30:15 PM UTC+1, PMario wrote:
I did create a pull request.
-m

Great, thanks!

Mat

Mar 19, 2015, 2:09:40 PM3/19/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Another little oddity; help-button gets cropped when active...

Jon

Mar 19, 2015, 4:23:37 PM3/19/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

I didn't realise the Help Panel is a separate plug in. Once installed, it's working fine.

Thanks
Jon

Lorenzo

Mar 20, 2015, 8:39:42 AM3/20/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy,

similarly to what Mat said about the "X Help" for the help panel, I think could be useful to fix the position of the "close" button below the "Get more plugins dialog" by fixing the footer or by placing an "(X)" button on the top right corner (div.tc-modal-header) of the download dialog and fixing the header.

Other solutions could be to make scrollable the list in the tab content (div.tc-tab-content) or to close the dialog by clicking on the shadowed regions outside the dialog itself.

If the number of the plugins grows as I hope, the list could get very long to scroll :D

Regards,
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Mar 20, 2015, 9:13:48 AM3/20/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

there is another glitch with the Help panel.

When the sidebar is closed and the Help panel is open, the title-bar of the tiddlers overlays the Help panel.
The problem occurs only on Firefox 36 (on Linux).
Chrome and Chromium don't have the problem.

Testing on the other browser I noticed that scrolling the tiddlers in Firefox now, makes tiddlers show their title fixed on the top of the windows until the tiddler is completely out of the client area of window. This doesn't work in Chrome/Chromium.

Regards,
Lorenzo

screen1.png

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 20, 2015, 12:21:57 PM3/20/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback.

The horizontal scrollbar problem is under discussion on GitHub, and a fix will be committed soon.

I've changed the help panel label to "Help Panel", and fixed the problem with tiddler titles overlaying the help panel in Firefox.

I agree with the idea of not scrolling the title of the help panel, and will come back to that post-5.1.8

In terms of the long list of plugins in the plugin library, I'm imagining that we'll bring in several enhancements: expandable categories, ratings, charts, etc.

> Another little oddity; help-button gets cropped when active...

That seems to be a Firefox bug, I'm not going to put much effort into working around it now.

I've posted an update to the prerelease, do please give it a go:

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Mar 20, 2015, 2:00:41 PM3/20/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hello Jeremy
One thing I've noticed when upgrading between different 5.1.8 pre-relese versions happen repeatedly is that in certain tiddlers single quote marks " ' " are replaced by their html code equivalents &#39; breaking any wikitext functionality they carried after the upgrade.
I'm I doing something wrong, is this expected behavior or is there any bug or way around it?

I am on Firefox 36.0.1 under Windows7 64bits if it make any difference.

Felix Küppers

Mar 20, 2015, 5:30:02 PM3/20/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

great job, especially with the plugin mechanism.

I will add all bugs I discover to Github.

So far:

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1601
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1599

Also the dropzone widget I use for my plugin does not accept incoming links anymore. I used it to dragndrop links on the map. Any hints how I can get this going again?

https://github.com/felixhayashi/TW5-TiddlyMap/issues/75

-Felix

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 21, 2015, 10:18:49 AM3/21/15
to Duarte Farrajota Ramos, TiddlyWiki
Hi Duarte

One thing I've noticed when upgrading between different 5.1.8 pre-relese versions happen repeatedly is that in certain tiddlers single quote marks " ' " are replaced by their html code equivalents &#39; breaking any wikitext functionality they carried after the upgrade.
I'm I doing something wrong, is this expected behavior or is there any bug or way around it?

Great, thank you, that's a bug, fixed here:

Best wishes

Jeremy

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Mar 21, 2015, 3:22:37 PM3/21/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, duarte...@gmail.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Thanks Jeremy, that was quick. TiddlyWiki 5.1.8 is shaping up to be a great release, love the new features, especially those always visible "floating heathers" on tiddlers. Any plans to support that in additional themes?

One small suggestion, given the recent development speed of and the frequency at which you release new updates to pre-releases, have you considered perhaps adding a an additional number to the TiddyWiki version or name them something like TiddyWiki 5.1.8 Prerelease## to help us know which version we are on or if our files are updated to the latest version?

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 21, 2015, 3:37:56 PM3/21/15
to Duarte Farrajota Ramos, TiddlyWiki
Hi Duarte

> One small suggestion, given the recent development speed of and the frequency at which you release new updates to pre-releases, have you considered perhaps adding a an additional number to the TiddyWiki version or name them something like TiddyWiki 5.1.8 Prerelease## to help us know which version we are on or if our files are updated to the latest version?

Yes, I'd like to do that. The only hold-up is that it requires some re-engineering of the build process.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Danielo Rodríguez

Mar 22, 2015, 3:31:10 AM3/22/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jeremy,

Glad to so such big amount of improvements.
When I open the plugin library it points to local host. Is this part of the demonstration?

Regards

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 22, 2015, 5:42:39 AM3/22/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Danielo

When I open the plugin library it points to local host. Is this part of the demonstration?

Tsk, thanks, that was my mistake: I use 127.0.0.1 for my local testing.

I've pushed a new release:

Best wishes

Jeremy

Regards

Felix Küppers

Mar 22, 2015, 12:00:23 PM3/22/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
HI Jeremy,

Maybe you can consider making the "Watch the video" button a bit less offensive before 5.1.8 is released?

Please see https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1547

I mean it looks like an error.

Thanks
-Felix

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 22, 2015, 12:13:27 PM3/22/15
to TiddlyWiki
Ah thank you Felix I hadn't seen that ticket, I'll reply over there.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Mat

Mar 22, 2015, 7:32:26 PM3/22/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
What has happened with sticky actually? I hope it will be, if not default, at least available. IMO it is superior when working with tiddlers.

<:-)

Felix Küppers

Mar 22, 2015, 7:40:54 PM3/22/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat,

Long discussion: https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1599

Good night
Felix

On 23.03.2015 00:32, Mat wrote:
What has happened with sticky actually? I hope it will be, if not default, at least available. IMO it is superior when working with tiddlers.

<:-)

Mat

Mar 23, 2015, 6:07:50 AM3/23/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Mr Hayashi. The conclusion makes sense until we find a solution. How annoying. It's a wonderful feature.

@Jeremy

1) Is the Help Panel now intentionally pushed down to e.g give access to the ( ? ) button?

2) Fyi, there is still the horizontal scrollbar.

3) Now that the help button is visible, I notice the shadow effect makes it look blurry.

I propose that, somewhat analogous to the red "unsaved" icon, the Help button could turn e.g green when active. Or maybe just stay dark, like from hover.

...but while at it; I think the buttons gray filling makes it too heavy/dominant to begin with. I experimented with inversing the colors but this forces you to add a surrounding edge to it, and therefore also to shrink the questionmark. Could work if that is accepted. Then one could use: default=lightgray, hover=darkgray and then click switches to the current dark heavy symbol.

It could also be considered that clicking the Controlpanel symbol does not result in any "active" state. True, the Controlpanel is a tiddler in the river, and the Help panel is a popup... but... that is more a mechanism issue than anything that triggers a user need for separate behaviors. If the Help panel didn't have the closing X, then possibly, but now that it does... I don't think anyone hesitates over how to close it.

...Now that's a lotta talkin about a questionmark. The conehead strikes again!

<:-)

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 23, 2015, 7:39:31 AM3/23/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat

> 1) Is the Help Panel now intentionally pushed down to e.g give access to the ( ? ) button?

No, it's shorter because the content is shorter without the cheatsheet; it's closer to the original idea I had of a video overlay panel.

> Now that the help button is visible, I notice the shadow effect makes it look blurry.

Which browser/OS? The shadow effect is raising lots of problems with bad browsers that don't render it correctly. I've done some exploration of styling the selected state differently. (btw, we can invert the colours by giving the button itself a background colour, and inverting the colour of the SVG).

> It could also be considered that clicking the Controlpanel symbol does not result in any "active" state.

I've fixed that for $:/ControlPanel, $:/AdvancedSearch and $:/TagManager, and posted a new prerelease:

Best wishes

Jeremy.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Mat <matia...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Mat

Mar 23, 2015, 6:56:04 PM3/23/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Jeremy,

> Now that the help button is visible, I notice the shadow effect makes it look blurry.

Which browser/OS?

Win8.1 - both FFlatest and Chrome. Interestingly, IE doesn't show the shadow but instead fades the dark icon a tad.

Regardless, I believe it is not bad browser but simply the shadow itself; a dark icon + gradient shadow + even gray background... the edges become not clear. Perhaps "smudged" describes it better. The transparency of the questionmark adds to this fact and that we're talking about icons with a width only a few times of the shadow width itself.

This is my opinion also for the added Controlpanel-icon shadow.

<:-)

Mat

Mar 26, 2015, 5:34:51 AM3/26/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
I suspect this is a forgotten leftover - I know it's been there for along time but I suggest it is addressed:

In Chrome (latest), which I don't typically use, when you click to edit, or cancle, or save, the animation makes the tiddler slide out left before the editor shows. It is very confusing as it makes it look like the thing is going away ("did I click close or something?"). In FF things don't slide sideways, which works very well.

If, for some resaon, this is to be continued behavior, then IMO: For delete it would be ok with sliding left, kind of indicating it's getting out of the whole TW. But/and for close then better sliding towards the sidebarlists ("the tiddler is going back in there"). But it makes no sense to have edit go sideways at all.

<:-)

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 26, 2015, 6:51:16 AM3/26/15
to Mat, TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat

In Chrome (latest), which I don't typically use, when you click to edit, or cancle, or save, the animation makes the tiddler slide out left before the editor shows. It is very confusing as it makes it look like the thing is going away ("did I click close or something?"). In FF things don't slide sideways, which works very well.

I think you'll see the same behaviour on all browsers - I've found it to be not so noticeable with Firefox because Firefox is slow at the animation.

If, for some resaon, this is to be continued behavior, then IMO: For delete it would be ok with sliding left, kind of indicating it's getting out of the whole TW. But/and for close then better sliding towards the sidebarlists ("the tiddler is going back in there"). But it makes no sense to have edit go sideways at all.

All that's going on is that as far as the story view is concerned, switching to edit mode is the removal of one tiddler and the replacement with another. I did intend to implement a special animation for the edit transition but haven't got around to it. Recently I've been thinking that rather than fixing the classic view I'm better off investing effort in exploring new story views that work better.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

<:-)

Mat

Mar 26, 2015, 8:46:27 AM3/26/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, matia...@gmail.com, jeremy...@gmail.com

I think you'll see the same behaviour on all browsers - I've found it to be not so noticeable with Firefox because Firefox is slow at the animation.

Tested. You're right. Interesting how slowness could be a benefit. I'll keep it in mind for when walking with the kids (GAAAH!)

[...]  better off investing effort in exploring new story views that work better.

Fair enough.

Thanks for replying.

Suzanne McHale

Mar 26, 2015, 4:41:04 PM3/26/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
That happened to my TW, too! All my wikitext formatting for strong - '' '' - is now &#39;&#39;.

Danielo Rodríguez

Mar 28, 2015, 1:37:22 PM3/28/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jeremy,

I'm curious about how the plugin library works. It does not work properly on any mobile browser that I tried. On chrome it directly kills the browser, Firefox slows down significantly and the scrolling is nearly unresponsive. On Galaxy s6 default browser it is not even possible to see the library. I think that you all are forgetting about mobile world,and I think Jeremy that you are interested on that particular scenario. The help plugin, for example, is not very helpful while on mobile.

Regards.

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Mar 28, 2015, 2:38:11 PM3/28/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jeremy
Sorry to bother again but I've been trying to upgrade my prerelease tiddlywikis to the latest 5.1.8 pre-releases and I am having trouble with an encrypted one.
After upgrading through Upgrade.html whenever I am promtped to insert the password I get an in-browser tiddlywiki error message which disappears too fast to be able to read and I can't see the contents of the wiki, I am repeatedly prompted again for the password.
One weird thing that I noticed happen is that the browser adress bar then shows the following:
file:///C:/Path/To/My/Database/TiddlyWiki.html?password=MyPassword

with my password in plain sight. I am using Firefox 36.0.6 under Windows 7 64bits

One thing I noticed is that the plugins library is now working correctly in standalone file mode, which I couldn't get to work before which is a nice addition. :)

Eric Shulman

Mar 28, 2015, 3:45:13 PM3/28/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 10:37:22 AM UTC-7, Danielo Rodríguez wrote:
I'm curious about how the plugin library works. It does not work properly on any mobile browser that I tried. On chrome it directly kills the browser, Firefox slows down significantly and the scrolling is nearly unresponsive. On Galaxy s6 default browser it is not even possible to see the library. I think that you all are forgetting about mobile world,and I think Jeremy that you are interested on that particular scenario. The help plugin, for example, is not very helpful while on mobile.

Here's my quick test results:

Platform: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1
Android 4.4 KitKat

steps to reproduce:
2) open control panel
3) select "plugins" tab
4) press "Get more plugins" button
5) press "open plugin library" button (in modal popup)
6) tabs appear: plugins (18) themes(6) languages(19)
7) scroll up and down

using Chrome: works OK
using Dolphin: works OK
using default "Internet" browser:  very slow, scrolling "nearly nonresponsive"

-e

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 30, 2015, 8:21:08 AM3/30/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Danielo

I'm curious about how the plugin library works.

When the plugin library is opened, TiddlyWiki loads the following HTML file into a hidden iframe:

TiddlyWiki then talks to the HTML file via window.PostMessage, requesting the plugin listing, and individual plugins when they are installed.

(The HTML file is used instead of a straightforward XMLHttpRequest for a JSON file because the plugin library is hosted on GitHub Pages which doesn't support CORS).

It does not work properly on any mobile browser that I tried. On chrome it directly kills the browser, Firefox slows down significantly and the scrolling is nearly unresponsive. On Galaxy s6 default browser it is not even possible to see the library.

For the record, it does work OK on the iPhone 6, which is obviously a reasonably fast processor and has decent RAM.

I think that you all are forgetting about mobile world,and I think Jeremy that you are interested on that particular scenario.

It's true that I use TiddlyWiki on a laptop or tablet much more often than on my phone. I'm acutely conscious that the handling of the sidebar in the default Snow White theme is not great on a phone.

Anyhow, my ambition is for TW to work well across desktop, tablet and phones. Necessarily, there's a minimum spec in terms of JavaScript muscle (RAM, processor etc.). It's also important that we make it straightforward to browse static content on mobile devices; if connectivity is bad, I'd rather have the content without any JavaScript.

The help plugin, for example, is not very helpful while on mobile.

Indeed not, that's one of the reasons that the help plugin is a plugin.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Regards.

Danielo Rodríguez

Mar 30, 2015, 12:36:09 PM3/30/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for explaining the flow. I suspect that the answer is yes, but I would like you to confirm this: Does opening the plugin library means that the whole collection of plugins is downloaded?
If the answer is yes this is another big disadvantage for mobile: you have to download a big file and load it into memory with the negative effect this can have in your Internet plan and device's ram. And all of that each time you want to install a single plugin!

I also don't like how the plugin library is displayed. I expected it to be part of the config panel, not an uncomfortable pop-up that does not play well on may scenarios due to :
* more processing power requirements,
* less screen space available
* it feels not part of TW

As I said, I tried this in a a galaxy S6,and a Xperia Z, pretty powerful devices.

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Mar 30, 2015, 1:54:34 PM3/30/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Tried again with a different encrypted wiki and got the same result.
Bug or did I do something stupid to break it?

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 30, 2015, 2:35:42 PM3/30/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Danielo

Thank you for explaining the flow. I suspect that the answer is yes, but I would like you to confirm this: Does opening the plugin library means that the whole collection of plugins is downloaded?

No, that is not the case. The plugin library HTML file has the metadata for the plugins (it is 148KB) and uses XMLHTTPRequest to load the individual JSON files. You can see all this with the browser dev tools network tab.

As I say, that is not in fact the case. (The upgrade utility at http://tiddlywiki.com/upgrade.html does currently include the entire plugin library).

I also don't like how the plugin library is displayed. I expected it to be part of the config panel, not an uncomfortable pop-up that does not play well on may scenarios due to :
* more processing power requirements,

Why does the use of a modal affect processing power?

* less screen space available
* it feels not part of TW

The reason it uses a popup is because otherwise the plugin library listing is almost indistinguishable from the existing plugin listing in the control panel. For a long time the prerelease had them as two separate tabs; the result was incredibly confusing.

As I said, I tried this in a a galaxy S6,and a Xperia Z, pretty powerful devices.

I'm not familiar with the model numbers, and hadn't realised these were recent devices. Can you access the browser dev tools to see if there are any issues? I've no idea how it would work with Android, but with iPhone/iPad one can easily open dev tools from a computer into a page loaded up on a phone attached via USB.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 30, 2015, 2:39:48 PM3/30/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Duarte

Apologies for the late reply

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Duarte Farrajota Ramos <duarte...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tried again with a different encrypted wiki and got the same result.
Bug or did I do something stupid to break it?

I think what's going on is that an error is being raised during the event handler for the "login" button. The browser is responding by trying to apply its default form processing; in this case, that means posting the value of the "password" input control.

The problem is that the entire post-decryption boot process is run within the "login" event handler. The way to figure this one out is to use the browser dev tools facility to break on all errors (including ones that are trapped). Then you should be able to see the error message before the reload.

Alternatively, feel free to email me the file and I'll be happy to have a look,

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Mar 30, 2015, 3:15:36 PM3/30/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy no problem, no hurries.
One of the files was actually where I save all my passwords so I wouldn't really be conformable sharing that, so in an attempt to recreate the problem I found out that it only seems to happen when downloading the upgrade.html for local file use.
Seems to not occur in the online upgrader.
Anyway here is a test file with the mentioned error, password is:
password
Hope this helps

On a separate note:
One small feature request: it would be nice, when importing tiddlers or a whole tiddlywiki, to have an additional checkbox on the top to  toggle selecting/deselect all tiddlers.
One other question: I may have misunderstood but isn't the option "Export river of tiddlers as static HTML" not supposed to export all currently opened tiddlers?
upgrade.html

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 30, 2015, 5:16:59 PM3/30/15
to Duarte Farrajota Ramos, TiddlyWiki
Hi Duarte

It seems that the problem is that your $:/core/boot.js is 5.1.7 while the $:/core plugin itself is 5.1.8. What were the steps you used to produce the file you attached?

> : I may have misunderstood but isn't the option "Export river of tiddlers as static HTML" not supposed to export all currently opened tiddlers?

No, which tiddlers are exported depends on the situation:

* In the tiddler toolbar, a single tiddler is saved
* In the sidebar, all tiddlers are saved
* In the $:/AdvancedSearch "Filter" tab, the tiddlers matching the filter are saved

The term "river of tiddlers" just means a sequence of tiddlers; the "story river" is the river made up of the currently open tiddlers.

I think the phrasing is confusing and would welcome suggestions for alternatives. Perhaps "Export sequence of tiddlers as static HTML"?

Best wishes

Jeremy

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Mar 30, 2015, 8:18:00 PM3/30/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, duarte...@gmail.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
OK, I believe I found out what is wrong. Probably nothing to do with tiddlywiki itself
I think it is just that over at http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/upgrade.html if you press the download link at the bottom it is directed at http://tiddlywiki.com/upgrade.html
So since I downloaded upgrade.html for local filesystem updates, instead of upgrading I was probably downgrading to 5.1.7, that's probably what broke the mechanism.
I can still send all the files I used to recreate the problem, just let me know if they still help, though that was likely the origin of the problem.

Duarte Farrajota Ramos

Mar 30, 2015, 8:43:26 PM3/30/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, duarte...@gmail.com, jeremy...@gmail.com

I think the phrasing is confusing and would welcome suggestions for alternatives. Perhaps "Export sequence of tiddlers as static HTML"?

Best wishes

Jeremy

 Yes "Export sequence of tiddlers as static HTML" sounds about right, I'dd also like "Export current tiddler(s) as static HTML" .
An option to export only all visible tiddlers would be very desirable though, if made available from the page tools.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for all the noise.

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 31, 2015, 6:01:03 AM3/31/15
to Duarte Farrajota Ramos, TiddlyWiki
Hi Duarte

So since I downloaded upgrade.html for local filesystem updates, instead of upgrading I was probably downgrading to 5.1.7, that's probably what broke the mechanism.

Ah, that makes perfect sense, glad to have got it figured out.

I can still send all the files I used to recreate the problem, just let me know if they still help, though that was likely the origin of the problem.

I've opened an issue for not being able to use upgrade.html to downgrade (!):

> Yes "Export sequence of tiddlers as static HTML" sounds about right, I'dd also like "Export current tiddler(s) as static HTML" .

The trouble with the latter wording is that it cannot be used in all three locations that allow tiddlers to be exported.

> An option to export only all visible tiddlers would be very desirable though, if made available from the page tools.

I'm beginning to think that the page tools export button should actually bring up a wizard that allows the operation to be customised (eg which tiddlers to be used, templates, etc).

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Duarte Nuno de Paiva Farrajota Ramos

Mar 31, 2015, 9:35:57 AM3/31/15
to Jeremy Ruston, TiddlyWiki

Thanks for the help Jeremy and opening the issue. Downgrading capabilities sound like overkill but good to know tiddlywiki is * that* well supported. Probably also worth fixing that link so no other unsuspecting user bumps into the same problem.

That wizard in page tools sounds like a terrific idea, would definitely be very useful.

Thanks again, best wishes. Duarte

Sent from Nokia 3210

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 4, 2015, 7:07:55 AM4/4/15
to TiddlyWiki
Just to let everyone know that there are a number of further improvements to the prerelease:

One new feature that has snuck in are new facilities in ThemeTweaks to set a background image for the page. It has settings to enable repeating tiled background images, or fashionable full bleed images that cover the window or page.

I've also started more aggressive updates to the front page text. It's not complete, but I'd welcome feedback on what's there.

My plan now is to freeze 5.1.8 apart from bug fixes and documentation updates, with the release coming at the end of next week,

Best wishes

Jeremy.
Screenshot 2015-04-04 10.47.36.png
Screenshot 2015-04-04 12.06.34.png

Felix Küppers

Apr 4, 2015, 11:16:41 AM4/4/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Extremely stylish the new HelloThere! I really enjoy the new look!

Felix Küppers

Apr 4, 2015, 11:23:40 AM4/4/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Love that one too! Now with the background image feature, it seems as if
TiddlyWiki wants to entirely replace the os-desktop :)

Neil Griffin

Apr 4, 2015, 11:34:21 AM4/4/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com

One new feature that has snuck in are new facilities in ThemeTweaks to set a background image for the page. It has settings to enable repeating tiled background images, or fashionable full bleed images that cover the window or page.

I like this.  I was about to start thinking about prettifying my page with theme customisations, and we could do with a few things to make it easier to do without knowledge of CSS.

One thing about background images though.  The default sidebar text has some sort of shadow effect which looks nice on the grey background, but looks a bit ugly on top of an image.  Maybe a plainer text style could be automatically applied when a background image is used?

Neil.

Mat

Apr 4, 2015, 7:23:41 PM4/4/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Background images - fun!

@Jermolene

Stacked story view;

1) should clicking a non-first tiddler not bring it forth? I think it worked that way previously.
2) closing them all ends with last one stuck in background as mini.

Neither of the above works on FF or Chrome. Win8.1.

<:-)

Ed

Apr 6, 2015, 8:07:28 AM4/6/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy,

>the release coming at the end of next week,
Good to know, cause I've got some TW5s that need updating, now I can stop wondering 8-))

I don't want to be overcritical, but that background-prettyfying-stuff is really the last thing I need.
Or not need at all. I like to keep things as simple and plain as possible, Totally concentrating on
the content is what I want.

For future releases I would like to see more examples in the tiddlers that explain certain concepts.
That would help people like me getting up speed more quickly. But maybe that's were Eric's work
on the documenation comes in.

Anyway TW5 is still a brilliant product and the community one of the most helpful. Thanks to all that
helped me out so far! Not getting much ahead now because traffic accident, but I'll try to keep track.
Salut! Ed.

andrew.j.harrison84

Apr 6, 2015, 9:02:11 AM4/6/15
to Ed, tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Great stuff with this coming release. I have a few questions regarding the Corner ribbon plugin. Shouldn't it be possible to set the color of the ribbon using a color field in the tiddler where the ribbon is defined? Maybe that is a future upgrade? Are we trying to use fields or tags for color?

Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 6, 2015, 11:27:29 AM4/6/15
to andrew.j.harrison84, Ed, TiddlyWiki
Hi Andrew

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 2:01 PM, andrew.j.harrison84 <andrew.j....@gmail.com> wrote:
Great stuff with this coming release. I have a few questions regarding the Corner ribbon plugin. Shouldn't it be possible to set the color of the ribbon using a color field in the tiddler where the ribbon is defined? Maybe that is a future upgrade?

The GitHub Ribbon plugin is pretty simple, little more than a container for some CSS custom classes. A macro could certainly be provided that renders a ribbon based on fields of a configuration tiddler.

> Are we trying to use fields or tags for color?

There is a convention in TW to use the "color" field to contain a CSS color. By default, tag pills take their colour from the "color" field of the corresponding tag tiddler.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Mat

Apr 6, 2015, 12:47:58 PM4/6/15
Ed wrote:
I don't want to be overcritical, but that background-prettyfying-stuff is really the last thing I need.
Or not need at all. I like to keep things as simple and plain as possible, Totally concentrating on
the content is what I want.

Everyone is obviously entitled an opinion, but it may be worth considering that such visual elements are typically very popular on public websites. And making TW more exposed and easy to make public websites with is definitely something we need.

Or as I put it in a soon to be released creation:

Bigger community ⇄ Better TW

<:-)

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 6, 2015, 4:10:52 PM4/6/15
to Neil Griffin, TiddlyWiki
Hi Neil

One thing about background images though.  The default sidebar text has some sort of shadow effect which looks nice on the grey background, but looks a bit ugly on top of an image.  Maybe a plainer text style could be automatically applied when a background image is used?

There's a new palette called "DarkPhotos" that's designed to work well on top of darker images.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Neil.

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 6, 2015, 4:14:02 PM4/6/15
to Mat, TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat

Stacked story view;

The stacked story view is still under development. It's included in the prerelease, but won't be in the final 5.1.8 release (it will be available via the plugin library though).

1) should clicking a non-first tiddler not bring it forth? I think it worked that way previously.

I retracted that feature because it interfered with other story views (you may remember a time when clicking on a tiddler in classic story view also navigated to it).

2) closing them all ends with last one stuck in background as mini.

Yes, that's a bug. You can still close that last tiddler via the open tab in the sidebar.

Best wishes

Jeremy.