Setting up TiddlyWiki5 Hangout #3

Jeremy Ruston

May 29, 2013, 4:11:44 AM5/29/13
to TiddlyWiki
Yesterdays TiddlyWiki5 Hangout was 70% brilliant and 30% deeply frustrating connection problems.

I think that part of the problem may have been that the time slot was right at the time that there is a surge in broadband usage as people get home and start streaming video from BBC iPlayer.

So, I'd like to try to schedule another hangout quite soon. I've put together another Doodle poll to choose times on Monday 3rd or Tuesday 4th June:

If you've any questions you'd particularly like to cover, please post them here.

Many thanks,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Jeremy Ruston

May 31, 2013, 3:27:20 PM5/31/13
to TiddlyWiki
If you'd like to take part in the next hangout, please add yourself to the Doodle for choosing the date and time:

Many thanks,

Jeremy

Måns

May 31, 2013, 7:48:12 PM5/31/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, TiddlyWiki, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy

I'm using Node.js for saving classic tiddlywikis for every day use..
When I try to do this with a "one-file" TW5 I'm forced to download a new copy every time I click "save".

Classic TW 2.8.0 (beta 1) is capable of creating a download when clicking "save" if there is no server backend - AND it works with Poul Staugaard's "node.js one-file" save-script.
It will overwrite previous file and create backup files... (standard/"old" behaviour)

Would it be feasible to make the "stand alone" TW5 behave like this too? - then all versions of TW5 could be saved back to disk via node.js

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Måns

Jun 1, 2013, 9:22:07 AM6/1/13
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy

I've downloaded/unpackaged the TiddlyWiki5-master dir and put it in a
folder "TiddlyWork" where I also created the folder:
"jermolene.github.com"

Full path: /root/Web-Server/TiddlyWork/TiddlyWiki5-master/

I'm already running a tiddlyweb instance over port 8080 so I changed
the serve.sh script to run over port 8081...

I get errors which resembles those reported by Dennis here:
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/73

My Linux system (Puppy Linux) runs as root - so there are no
permissions restrictions involved:

# node tiddlywiki.js

node.js:201
throw e; // process.nextTick error, or 'error' event on first
tick
^
TypeError: Cannot read property 'node' of undefined
at Object.startup (/root/Web-Server/TiddlyWork/TiddlyWiki5-master/
boot/boot.js:1220:84)
at /root/Web-Server/TiddlyWork/TiddlyWiki5-master/boot/boot.js:
1276:11
at Object.decryptEncryptedTiddlers (/root/Web-Server/TiddlyWork/
TiddlyWiki5-master/boot/boot.js:979:2)
at /root/Web-Server/TiddlyWork/TiddlyWiki5-master/boot/boot.js:
1274:10
at Object.<anonymous> (/root/Web-Server/TiddlyWork/TiddlyWiki5-
master/boot/boot.js:1279:3)
at Module._compile (module.js:441:26)
at Object..js (module.js:459:10)
at Module.load (module.js:348:32)
at Function._load (module.js:308:12)
at Module.require (module.js:354:17)
#

Maybe my node.js version is simply too old? (latest stable version
from the Ubuntu Precise repository is v0.6.12)
Does it have to be > ver. 10?

# node --version
v0.6.12

When I run bld.sh to files are created in the jermolene.github.com
folder:
1) An empty folder: "static"
2) A file: CNAME

nothing more..

Dump:
# node bld.sh

/root/Web-Server/TiddlyWork/TiddlyWiki5-master/bld.sh:3
# build TiddlyWiki5 for five.tiddlywiki.com
^

node.js:201
throw e; // process.nextTick error, or 'error' event on first
tick
^
SyntaxError: Unexpected token ILLEGAL
at Module._compile (module.js:429:25)
at Object..js (module.js:459:10)
at Module.load (module.js:348:32)
at Function._load (module.js:308:12)
at Array.0 (module.js:479:10)
at EventEmitter._tickCallback (node.js:192:41)
#

EDIT:

Now I've downloaded and installed node ver. 10.9 and I get this error:

# node --version
v0.10.9
# node tiddlywiki.js
Missing tiddlywiki.info file at /root/Web-Server/TiddlyWork/
TiddlyWiki5-master

bld.sh gives me this error:
# node bld.sh

/root/Web-Server/TiddlyWork/TiddlyWiki5-master/bld.sh:3
# build TiddlyWiki5 for five.tiddlywiki.com
^
SyntaxError: Unexpected token ILLEGAL
at Module._compile (module.js:439:25)
at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:474:10)
at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12)
at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:497:10)
at startup (node.js:119:16)
at node.js:901:3
#

I will try a reboot and see what happens...

Cheers Måns Mårtensson
> > mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com <javascript:>

Måns

Jun 1, 2013, 9:48:55 AM6/1/13
to TiddlyWiki
Hi again

Now bld.sh seems to work fine - even if it's showing the same error:
SyntaxError: Unexpected token ILLEGAL
at Module._compile (module.js:439:25) etc..

serve.sh works now - and I'm able to view a TW5 in the browser at
localhost:8081

Seems that Ubuntu - (and Ubuntu derivatives) users have to manually
get the latest node.js. v6 didn't work for me.

http://tw5.tiddlyspace.gir.dk/success.png

Now I'd like to understand how to use TW5 under node.js as I normally
would with a classical TW.

If I create new tiddlers - or edit existing ones - how are they saved?

If they are saved as individual files on disk - will I get a message
which tells me that it has happened?

Do I need to create/save/download a new (main)document every time I've
made a small changes to a tiddler?

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

FrD

Jun 1, 2013, 11:30:25 AM6/1/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Måns,

About node.js, you could use Chris Lea ppa on ubuntu (https://launchpad.net/~chris-lea/+archive/node.js/).
The version is 0.10.8 or 0.10.9
It's quite often updated.

FrD

Le samedi 1 juin 2013 15:48:55 UTC+2, Måns a écrit :
Hi again

Seems that Ubuntu - (and Ubuntu derivatives) users have to manually
get the latest node.js. v6 didn't work for me.

http://tw5.tiddlyspace.gir.dk/success.png

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Jeremy Ruston

Jun 2, 2013, 5:19:36 PM6/2/13
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Måns

Now bld.sh seems to work fine - even if it's showing the same error:
SyntaxError: Unexpected token ILLEGAL
    at Module._compile (module.js:439:25)  etc..

I think that the problem here is that you are trying to run bld.sh under node.js (with your "node bld.sh" command). bld.sh is an ordinary bash script file so you just run it with "./bld.sh".

> # node tiddlywiki.js
> Missing tiddlywiki.info file at /root/Web-Server/TiddlyWork/

What's going on here is that tiddlywiki.js expects it's first argument to be the pathname to a wiki folder. If that's missing (as here), it tries to use the current folder.

See the documentation here:

serve.sh works now - and I'm able to view a TW5 in the browser at
localhost:8081

Seems that Ubuntu - (and Ubuntu derivatives) users have to manually
get the latest node.js. v6 didn't work for me.

No, node.js v.6 is quite old now.

http://tw5.tiddlyspace.gir.dk/success.png

Now I'd like to understand how to use TW5 under node.js as I normally
would with a classical TW.

If I create new tiddlers - or edit existing ones - how are they saved?

When you create a new tiddler in the browser it is automatically synced over HTTP to the server component, running under node.js. The server then saves the tiddler as a file in the current wiki folder.

If they are saved as individual files on disk - will I get a message
which tells me that it has happened?

Yes, the server logs every file save and deletion to the screen.

Do I need to create/save/download a new (main)document every time I've
made a small changes to a tiddler?

No, there's full two way sync between the browser and the server.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Måns

Jun 3, 2013, 3:38:53 AM6/3/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy

I think that the problem here is that you are trying to run bld.sh under node.js (with your "node bld.sh" command). bld.sh is an ordinary bash script file so you just run it with "./bld.sh".

> Missing tiddlywiki.info file at /root/Web-Server/TiddlyWork/

What's going on here is that tiddlywiki.js expects it's first argument to be the pathname to a wiki folder. If that's missing (as here), it tries to use the current folder.

See the documentation here:

You are right. Thank you for explaining things :-)

If they are saved as individual files on disk - will I get a message
which tells me that it has happened?

Yes, the server logs every file save and deletion to the screen.

Only indication I get (in Chromium and SeaMonkey) is a counter in a new tiddler, which tells me how long ago it was that I created the tiddler.
I don't get any message(s) when I delete a tiddler.

Chromium doesn't save images that you've dropped into the the document - untill you've edited the tiddler.
Is this a feature or a bug?

Seamonkey seems to accept dropping images onto TW5, as it shows the "Drop here" message when holding an image over the document, however nothing happens when you drop it..

Ps:
If you want to use Puppy Linux for experimenting with node.js and TW5  I made a program package for Puppy Linux Precise containing:

1) Chromium (Version 22.0.1210.0)
2) Node.js v10.9
3) TWS (Poul Staugaard's backend)
4) Buwe Bijl's tws-chrome-extension is preinstalled in Chromium
5) TW5 node edition - all dirs and files

and an individual update/upgrade of node.js to v10.9:

Sorry I'm unable to attend the scheduled hangout today - hope someone will take notes or maybe even do a screencast?
I wish you best of luck with the meeting ..

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Jeremy Ruston

Jun 3, 2013, 5:36:18 AM6/3/13
to Måns, TiddlyWiki
Hi Måns

Only indication I get (in Chromium and SeaMonkey) is a counter in a new tiddler, which tells me how long ago it was that I created the tiddler.
I don't get any message(s) when I delete a tiddler.

That's correct, there is currently no further feedback on the client side (unless something goes wrong).

If you're interested, you can see individual tiddlers being synced by opening your browsers developer console, and viewing the network traffic.

Chromium doesn't save images that you've dropped into the the document - untill you've edited the tiddler.
Is this a feature or a bug?

That sounds like a bug. Dropping an image file into the browser should immediately sync the tiddler to the server from where it will be saved to the file system.

Seamonkey seems to accept dropping images onto TW5, as it shows the "Drop here" message when holding an image over the document, however nothing happens when you drop it..

I'm not familiar with Seamonkey. The standards around drag and drop are still rather in flux, so maybe it behaves differently from the browsers I've tested. Let's get you working properly on Chrome and then explore Seamonkey's behaviour.

Ps:
If you want to use Puppy Linux for experimenting with node.js and TW5  I made a program package for Puppy Linux Precise containing:

I'm afraid I'm a Linux neophyte, but I'm sure between us we can get you working properly,

> Sorry I'm unable to attend the scheduled hangout today - hope someone will take notes or maybe even do a screencast?
> I wish you best of luck with the meeting ..

I shall try to record the session, and let you know here,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Cheers Måns Mårtensson