Named story rivers (or trails)

Joe Armstrong

Feb 5, 2019, 6:49:19 AM2/5/19
to TiddlyWiki
I want to provide different reading 'trails' through my TW.
A 'trail' is an ordered set of tiddlers on screen.

(Sun used this term in the java documentation - the entire documentation was huge
so they built different trails through the docs intended for different readers)

So I'd like a tiddler called 'beginner' to contain a list of tiddlers, and
'intermediate' to contain a different list of tiddlers

How can I close all the tiddlers in the current story river and replace them
with the tiddlers in 'beginner' etc.

Is there support for organising tiddlers into 'trails'

/Joe

Ton Gerner

Feb 5, 2019, 7:52:18 AM2/5/19
to TiddlyWiki

Joe Armstrong

Feb 5, 2019, 8:44:32 AM2/5/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 1:52 PM Ton Gerner <ton.g...@gmail.com> wrote:

Beautiful,

I think adding this to the reference site and making up many stories would be a good idea

/Joe

Cheers,

Ton

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 12:49:19 PM UTC+1, Joe Armstrong wrote:
I want to provide different reading 'trails' through my TW.
A 'trail' is an ordered set of tiddlers on screen.

(Sun used this term in the java documentation - the entire documentation was huge
so they built different trails through the docs intended for different readers)

So I'd like a tiddler called 'beginner' to contain a list of tiddlers, and
'intermediate' to contain a different list of tiddlers

How can I close all the tiddlers in the current story river and replace them
with the tiddlers in 'beginner' etc.

Is there support for organising tiddlers into 'trails'

/Joe

Jeremy Ruston

Feb 5, 2019, 9:52:40 AM2/5/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe

On 5 Feb 2019, at 13:44, Joe Armstrong <joe...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think adding this to the reference site and making up many stories would be a good idea

It’d be interesting to see some examples of trails that might be useful. Along with Tobibeer’s sidebar UI I’d want individual tiddlers to show which trails they are participating in, and let the user explore back and forth along those trails.

In terms of implementation, I’m thinking that trails are actually some additional sugar on top of tags. Tags are already a flexible implementation of an ordered lists of tiddlers.

So, displaying a story would correspond to clearing the story river and replacing it with the ordered list of tiddlers with that tag. Reordering a trail could be accomplished via the tag dropdown.

We might want to add arrows for “previous” and “next” to the tag pills so that it is easy to navigate within a tag.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Alex Hough

Mar 17, 2019, 4:12:09 PM3/17/19
to TiddlyWiki
Would a trail be one of many lists?

When a tiddler is tagged, the order of the tiddler can be changed in the list. Perhaps if there was more than one list field in which tiddlers could registered?

Alex

S. S.

Mar 17, 2019, 10:03:40 PM3/17/19
to TiddlyWiki

A few months ago, admis asked a question on sub-Stories in this post: Create New Tiddler and Substories

That is what I first thought of when I read the post above by Joe Armstrong.

The reason is that a sub-Story has its own history. It may also be able to have its own view-template - perhaps useful for navigation.

I am stuck on the way to present the series of Beginner tiddlers for tiddlywiki.com .
Interestingly this is the exact case Joe Armstrong referred to:

So I'd like a tiddler called 'beginner' to contain a list of tiddlers, and
'intermediate' to contain a different list of tiddlers

I wanted to use a tabbed-internal Table of Contents, not only for this, but for the many list-links tiddlers on tiddlywiki.com .
I opened a GitHub issue #3664 on it, but the sugestions did not gain traction.

I toyed with the idea of making a sub-Story of the Beginner series with their own forward and backward navigation.

Some features that it may need:
  • The navigation - not just Previous & Next, but also Back (when tiddlers are opened out of order)
  • Dealing with the case of a tiddler not in the sub-Story-list being opened, where to display it
    • If it's closed, how to get back to the proper place in the sub-Story. (This is one case where Back is needed)
    • Where the tiddler is not closed, how to get back to the proper place in the sub-Story
  • Restoring the previous Story when finished with the Beginner series.
AlexHough, as you rightly pointed out, the tiddlers and their order can be available in any list field.

Since the documentation is for tiddlywiki.com - it would be interesting to make this a Collaborative Effort of regulars here.
So how about we try it for fun and see where it leads!

One person will be in charge of writing the Specs. Here is a great short and fun to read guide for how this can be done:

Painless Functional Specifications
I nominate: @TiddlyTweeter - perhaps guided by Joe Armstrong
A suggested guide of what can be included in the specs is above, and suggested material to include is already available.

Once the Specs are made, the community gets involved with the actual coding needed for meeting the Specs.

What's the harm in trying this out?

On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 3:12:09 AM UTC+7, AlexHough wrote:
Would a trail be one of many lists?

When a tiddler is tagged, the order of the tiddler can be changed in the list. Perhaps if there was more than one list field in which tiddlers could registered?

Alex
.

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 18, 2019, 8:20:18 AM3/18/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Caro S.S.

Regarding "Why Bother?" see   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLGAHepMhbg. "Tiny Christs" is the answer.

Back on planet TW, I'd guess a beginner needs to navigate without a zillion ways. Just Forward / Back / & Done.

I think the issue is as much about navigation as it is about what is navigated?

Just thoughts
@TT

S. S. wrote
... Painless Functional Specifications

@TiddlyTweeter

Mar 18, 2019, 8:30:16 AM3/18/19
to TiddlyWiki
Joe

I thought about this a lot.

Dimensional endless variant pathways in TW is EASY. Just no one is doing it.

Why not make every word in a Tiddler a link and see what happens?

Josiah