Presenting: rQuickTid - attention-free note taking

Mat

Apr 24, 2017, 9:22:24 AM4/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
The TWaddler (very) proudly presents...

rQuickTid

This is an extension of the older QuickTid concept but with a fundamentally new paradigm; a separate window containing a new-tiddler-editor.

I hope this idea can be taken much further as it adds power to TW as a note-taking tool, not just a note-managing tool. Native TW shines in the latter but not the former.

Note also the suggested "Potentials" there, including an outline for a Bookmarks manager.

<:-)

P.S Excuse my absence from some of the recent discussions about my other plugins.... but that's kind of how it is. I get to it eventually. I'm in constant struggle with a gazillion new ideas.

Mark S.

Apr 24, 2017, 10:00:46 AM4/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Very nice Mat!

How about an option to allow you to overwrite an existing tiddler? Then you can make cumulative notes like in a scratch pad.

-- Mark

Ton Gerner

Apr 24, 2017, 10:22:55 AM4/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat,

Very interesting.
I'll have to play with it for a longer time.

Well done,

Ton

Mat

Apr 24, 2017, 10:29:06 AM4/24/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

Do you mean to open an existing tiddler, to see its current content so you can edit it? That has crossed my mind. It would be a kind of merge with the SideEditor. Really there should be an option in TW to have the regular tiddle editor show in the tiddler river, or as floating on the side like the SideEditor or split out like rQuickTid. (Not necessarily with different field layouts for the editor though).

I'll let those thoughts mature a bit. But for rQuickTid the primary purpose is not to work with tiddlers but to work with something else and merely use TW as a quick access area to put notes. TW should be "insivisble" because you're focusing on that other stuff.

...but, hey, that's just rQuickTid. I hope people can take the concept and run.

Overall, the feature to split out tiddlers into sepatate windows is way underused. I have one absolute killer application for it that I did not mention in the "Potentials" list becuse it is not about adding tiddlers. I'll probably start at discussion on it soon.

<:-)

Mat

Apr 24, 2017, 10:31:02 AM4/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ton, thanks.

I'll have to play with it for a longer time.

Me too! Hehe!

<:-)

Mark S.

Apr 24, 2017, 11:09:24 AM4/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat,

Here's the bit of code I use, not nearly as nice as yours, to allow me to open up and edit a tiddler in a separate window:

<$select tiddler="$:/state/side-edit-tiddler" tag="input">
<$list filter="[!is[system]sort[title]]">
<option value=<
<currentTiddler>>><$text text=<<currentTiddler>>/></option>
</$list>
</$select>

<$edit-text tiddler={{$:/state/side-edit-tiddler}} class="tc-edit-texteditor"/>

I guess I'm thinking that a system like yours, modified to work with existing tiddlers, could be a platform independent substitute for those various sticky note apps.

Thanks!
Mark

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 24, 2017, 2:57:15 PM4/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
Mat, could you write a plugin that records plugins?

At the rate you doing them it could be worth it.

Josiah, x

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 24, 2017, 5:27:13 PM4/24/17
to TiddlyWiki
it is not working for me on Windows tablet. When i click the icon i get an empty page. i try again on desktop tomorrow. notte. x

Mat

Apr 25, 2017, 11:38:41 AM4/25/17
to TiddlyWiki
Josiah,

it is not working for me on Windows tablet. When i click the icon i get an empty page. i try again on desktop tomorrow. notte. x

Are you sure it is an empty page or is the text there just really small up in the left corner? That is how it appears on my cellphone.

Thanks for reporting.

<:-)

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 26, 2017, 7:03:03 AM4/26/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mat

Mat wrote:Are you sure it is an empty page or is the text there just really small up in the left corner?

Ignore my last. You were right. I will comment separately in a bit on how it works for me.

Best wishes
Josiah

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 26, 2017, 7:17:10 AM4/26/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mat

On initialisation Firefox (45.8 Win) show this ... that LOSES the line spacing ...

Chrome (58 Win) behaves like this, as expected ...

Best wishes
Josiah
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 26, 2017, 7:33:13 AM4/26/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mat

Its a really NEAT minimalist gizmo that forefronts fragment collection. Something TW is ace at. This speeds it up.

I think configuration of the WINDOW (size & placement; whether new instance, or tab) is perhaps more complex than it first looks.

Whilst the two examples from bog-standard DESKTOP usage I just gave work as floating windows it doesn't work like that universally.

On my Surface Win 10 (that has both "keyboard plugged in" & "tablet" modes) when its in TABLET mode the initiation window is full-screen. I think tablets (& maybe some phones?) take control of the window sizing and placement?

In addition different Browsers, I think, have variant user settings, or browser plugins that alter the behaviour of "open in new window."

I do NOT think that is necessarily a curse. It could be a feature :-). BUT maybe documentation needs to take it into account?

Best wishes
Josiah

Alex Hough

Apr 26, 2017, 7:49:52 AM4/26/17
to TiddlyWiki
Mat,

Its a really interesting development.

I can see it being really useful for distraction control / attention focus.

and for annotating links from browser tabs. A small window open next to your main one makes it very easy

I really like the idea that the first line is the title, the next tags and the rest text...

Alex

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 26, 2017, 7:51:08 AM4/26/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mat

ON POSSIBILITIES

Tags: Any chance that it could have an OPTION for a Default Tag (though keeping ability to have none)? The Usecase would be collecting, thinking, noting LOTS of stuff for later. I do think that would be more manageable if one could have all items tagged "CheckEm". You get the idea?

Tweet: Anything that tweets is very good for me. And, I think for everybody else too. There might be a complication in that you cannot pass anything but ordinary straight A-Z/0-9 directly to Twitter. Anything with special characters like hashtags or ampersands needs to go through URI encoding first. Jed, Telmiger & Riz did a lot of work on this issue and there are working macros that will do all that is needed. You probably seen them?

Best wishes
Josiah

Mat

Apr 26, 2017, 8:30:04 AM4/26/17
to TiddlyWiki

   rQuickTid Updated

to deal with the lost linebreaks in Firefox

However, it is a hacky solution; the seen defautl text is placeholder text. It turns out not all browsers allow linebreaks in placeholders. The simplest solution was to instead add several space characers,. These are not seeen but, if enough, add up to a linebreak. This means that it looks fine unless you enlarge the window.

I thought this was OK as an interim solution so the default window looks OK also in FF. We'll need a proper solution to deal with different screen sizes anyway, presumably using CSS media queries. My first attempts were not fruitful but it should be doable.

<:-)

Mat

Apr 26, 2017, 8:33:34 AM4/26/17
to TiddlyWiki
Alex, thanks for compliments.

I really like the idea that the first line is the title, the next tags and the rest text...

Yes, I first saw this idea in Cinta Notes, a little program I've used when TW was too cumbersome for quick notes. Interestingly, as I recently looked at Cinta Notes again, it has turned into something much bigger and more complex.

<:-)

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 27, 2017, 8:17:02 AM4/27/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mat

Mat wrote:
I thought this was OK as an interim solution so the default window looks OK also in FF. We'll need a proper solution to deal with different screen sizes anyway, presumably using CSS media queries. My first attempts were not fruitful but it should be doable.

I thought you like to see this SCENARIO. I fiddled about and forced Firefox to open the entry gizmo in a TAB, rather than a window. When you have screen estate on desktops its useful to be able to do that.

Here is a screen shot with a tiled view. "Mother" rQuickTid above, Tiddler creator below. Its a very efficient scenario

FWIW, in Firefox it requires fiddling about to force "open in new window" to open in a tab IF the window is given DIMENSIONS. Its easy if it doesn't have any set dimensions. I can explain its rules if you need.

Not sure how much you want to mess about with all the different ways that windows are handled, both in browsers and on different platforms & devices.

For me its an interesting issue about where the heft is not so much in TW per se but in how Browsers handle its spawn.

As is, its already very useful.

Best wishes
Josiah
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 27, 2017, 8:35:20 AM4/27/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mat

I'm using it & its works well.

Two suggestions ...

-- Maybe put the SAVE button at the top along with the other buttons?

-- Would it be better to have the BUTTONS Top Left, rather than the top right? I overlooked them on first use being over there. Also if you use this in a tab they are visually not so  noticeable being far right.

Best wishes
Josiah

Mat

Apr 27, 2017, 9:41:39 AM4/27/17
to TiddlyWiki
Josiah,

Interesting.

The proper way to handle this is probably to use CSS media queries. This is typically what is used to get different layouts on different devices or for diffferent window sized (i.e "responsive design"). BTW, TW uses this also. For rQuickTid this should be relatively simple to implement and I do intend to make the window work well in different sizes, possibly also as a tab.

For the smaller size I felt it made sense to have the buttons to the right to interfere less with the text you write. This is also why I put the save button at bottom... but also kind of thinking of the save button as a "final thing" that you do after your'e done taking notes for the session.

For a bigger size, I think the toolbar will not be floated all the way to the right (because the window can be very big) but instead maybe both the text editor area (i.e the outer limits for the text) and the toolbar should be centered and not expand full width.

<:-)

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 27, 2017, 10:11:55 AM4/27/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mat

Mat wrote:
... also kind of thinking of the save button as a "final thing" that you do after your'e done taking notes for the session.

Totally get that. But I have a further suggestion, given this gizmo is focused on "quickness" ...

That the Button Bar is made ALWAYS VISIBLE, it never scrolls off. Contents scroll under it. In that way you could put "Save" in that bar. And users could transfer to "Mother" (using the tick mechanisms) without having to scroll back up. Point being all mechanisms are activated from one set of buttons, always available.

Best wishes
Josiah

Mat

Apr 27, 2017, 12:13:26 PM4/27/17
to TiddlyWiki
Josiah,

That the Button Bar is made ALWAYS VISIBLE, it never scrolls off. Contents scroll under it. In that way you could put "Save" in that bar. And users could transfer to "Mother" (using the tick mechanisms) without having to scroll back up. Point being all mechanisms are activated from one set of buttons, always available.

You mean so when typing text fills the editor, the top of the text starts to scroll up under the tool buttons and the overflow gets hidden by the tow of the window? Interesting idea, I like it. It makes sense from the point of noting down stuff, in contrast to reading/reviewing it which is more of a full TW matter.. It has the UI advantage of keeping the typing area in a limited position also. I mean you can (hypthetically) type 1000 rows in the editor, but the editor window and the position you type is still within a controlled area letting you have other documents consistently visible beneath it.

That, per se, doesn't justify putting the save-wiki button in the toolbar. But I'll have it in consideration because there is a point in keeping it in a fixed place regardless of the window size. So you don't have to search for it in any way.

<:-)

@TiddlyTweeter

Apr 28, 2017, 8:48:52 AM4/28/17
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Mat

Mat wrote:
You mean so when typing text fills the editor, the top of the text starts to scroll up under the tool buttons and the overflow gets hidden by the tow of the window?

Yes. Exactly that. I got into the spirit of "Quick" :-). I think that would help it on.

Best  wishes
Josiah

Mohammad

May 6, 2020, 8:34:06 AM5/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
Referring to recent Hangout with Saq Imtiaz I would like to open up this old thread again!

The rQuickTid is a useful tool for focus on writing specially on tablet and mobile and when you are at a meeting or taking note from an ongoing lecture!
I have some comments can be implemented to improve the rQuickTid to fit more audiences.

  1. From 2017 the release date of rQuickTid in TW5.1.14 we had alot of improvement in TW core like the new global keyboard shortcuts
  2. Add shortcut alt+n or alt+shit+n to bring up the rQuickTid
  3. it has
    1. add new tiddler
    2. add new tiddler silently
    3. ALSO add to current tiddler as new section instead of new tiddler
  4. Add the modification of  $:/core/modules/startup/windows.js to core TW (needs PR)
  5. on windows resize title, tags, text field are shown on the same line. revise to keep them on separate lines
  6. title row can be displayed bold to recognize it
  7. tags line background can in different color and then the text
  8. [Ignore] a favicon can be added for rQuickTid window
  9. A Gear button
    1. can be used to customize the look and feel like show/hide some buttons
    2. if Gear button is present, option to show hide Editor toolbar

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mohammad

May 6, 2020, 8:38:16 AM5/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mat,
 Why standard shortcut: ctrl+enter for saving tiddler does not work?

--Mohammad

Diego Mesa

May 6, 2020, 2:27:19 PM5/6/20
to TiddlyWiki
Id also like to suggest/tie in a feature that I see rQuickTid (as well as Saq's tool) to be intimately tied to, an "advanced edit mode":

which just opens a pure ".tid" version of a tiddler in a text field where we can make free form edits to a tiddler through text  (no real GUI editing)