TiddlyWiki Fundraising

Eric Shulman

Nov 4, 2013, 6:14:37 AM11/4/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Greetings TiddlyFriends!

Open source projects combine the skills and resources of a community for the benefit of the entire group.  In addition to active, spontaneous participation, most open source projects also need some essential technical resources and a small dedicated core group of "key contributors" as well as real operating funds in order to maintain the systems, services, and people that keep the project alive and thriving.

Unfortunately, many open source projects are seriously underfunded, and TiddlyWiki is no exception to that pattern.  As Thanksgiving and the Winter season holidays are fast approaching, now is a good time to give thanks and add your favorite open source project (TiddlyWiki, of course!) to your gift giving plans.

To avoid the "TL;DR effect" (too long; didn't read) of a long online post, I've written a TiddlyWiki Classic document that provides some background information about the current funding situation and suggest some practical goals for generating revenue through "community funding" strategies.

Please read this document at your earliest opportunity, and then make a donation (http://tiddlytools.github.com/fundraising.html#MakeADonation) that reflects your own sense of the real-world value of the benefits that you've actually received. Whether you can afford to donate just a small amount every now and then, or make a regular monthly pledge or even a generous lump-sum contribution, if enough people in donate on a consistent basis, I believe it can add up to an amount capable of supporting all the needs of the TiddlyWiki community.

enjoy,
-e
Eric Shulman
TiddlyTools / ELS Design Studios

HELP ME TO HELP YOU - MAKE A CONTRIBUTION TO MY "TIP JAR"...

Professional TiddlyWiki Consulting Services...
Analysis, Design, and Custom Solutions:

Sparrisen987

Nov 4, 2013, 7:32:28 AM11/4/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I was just going to donate - because tiddly helps me tremendously. I got deterred by the paypal thing though. I'm probably going to pay later, once I figure out how paypal works - but it could be worth noting that for me, paypal was a initial deterrant.
Message has been deleted

Eric Shulman

Nov 4, 2013, 9:01:41 AM11/4/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, November 4, 2013 4:32:28 AM UTC-8, Sparrisen987 wrote:
I was just going to donate - because tiddly helps me tremendously. I got deterred by the paypal thing though. I'm probably going to pay later, once I figure out how paypal works - but it could be worth noting that for me, paypal was a initial deterrant.

When you press "donate" or "subscribe" from the forms I provide, it takes you to a PayPal page to complete payment.  At that point you have the option to use a PayPal account (if you have one), or you can use a credit card (or debit card) to may a single payment, just like purchasing a product from a commercial site.

If you prefer to send a personal check, cashier's check, or money order, I can provide my home mailing address.

much thanks,
-e

Steve Ellis

Nov 4, 2013, 11:20:44 AM11/4/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad I saw this, the Paypal link didn't turn me back and I'm certain has worked as intended.

I hope that many others duly respond to this appeal that presents its case so characteristically well.

Best wishes.

Leo Razoumov

Nov 4, 2013, 10:26:29 PM11/4/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
> --

I donated to Eric couple of month back and plan to keep donating.
I would greatly encourage the folks on the list to chime in.

--Leo--

Måns

Nov 7, 2013, 5:53:38 PM11/7/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric

Great document.
I've had a very bad concience for a couple of years  - because I really wanted to contribute to your tip jar, however my personal economic situation has been very bad too - and my own TiddlyWiki work hasn't really given me any extra personal income - even if it has helped me a lot - both professionally (I'm a teacher) and for personal (hobby) use.

Your writeup on how a little funding from "one percent" of the members might be able to fund your work to a great extent - and how this document - documents your never ending inclination to work for the community - if in anyway financially possible - has made me become both a "one time tipper" (25$) and setup a one-year pledge (gold: 30$ pr. month)...

Thanks for being there for all of us.

Great job!

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

tony

Dec 28, 2013, 3:33:05 AM12/28/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi TW experts,

Something new to investigate: https://helpouts.google.com

Cheers,
tony

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 28, 2013, 10:34:46 AM12/28/13
to TiddlyWiki
Something new to investigate: https://helpouts.google.com

Thanks, Tony I hadn't heard of Helpouts. I've applied for a code, will report back anything interesting,

Best wishes

Jeremy

Cheers,
tony

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Leo Staley

Jan 1, 2014, 7:45:00 PM1/1/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Can I donate via Bitcoin?

dickon

Jan 20, 2014, 4:27:57 PM1/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Good post Eric.  Count me in. I am off to PayPal with my pennies.

I really like the idea of the Google Helpout function - many's the time I would have put the call out at some godforsaken hour gnashing my teeth at my coding non-prowess.  If it came to be could Jeremy create a page in the tiddlywiki.com main site that directs users to HelpingTiddlyWikists who have demonstrated (through their service over the years, etc) that they are the most competent people to approach?

Dickon

dickon

Jan 20, 2014, 4:29:05 PM1/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and do have a look at my post about VALUE in TiddlySpace (Whither TiddlySpace), as it kind relates to the theme of "how do we make this thing pay for itself?"

Dickon

Paulo Guedes

Feb 9, 2014, 10:21:14 AM2/9/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

this is my first post. I am using TW for many years so far. Incredibly simple and useful.

Just a quick suggestion: how about considering (also) flattr, to help maintaining the project?
I could not find a reference to that on the fund raising page (http://tiddlytools.github.io/fundraising.html), hence here is my suggestion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flattr
http://flattr.com/

Thank you very much for such a great tool. Thanks a lot.
Paulo

Eric Shulman

Feb 9, 2014, 11:54:15 AM2/9/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, February 9, 2014 7:21:14 AM UTC-8, Paulo Guedes wrote:
this is my first post. I am using TW for many years so far. Incredibly simple and useful.
Just a quick suggestion: how about considering (also) flattr, to help maintaining the project?
I could not find a reference to that on the fund raising page (http://tiddlytools.github.io/fundraising.html), hence here is my suggestion.

Indeed, flattr.com is another interesting way to raise funds from the community.
... and we DO have a flattr button set up on classic.tiddlywiki.com (it's on the left,
in the MainMenu.  Here's a direct link to the TiddlyWiki flattr page:

Thanks for pointing out the omission...I will add it to the fundraising document.

-e

Paulo Guedes

Feb 9, 2014, 2:44:14 PM2/9/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric, great! Glad to help.

Ironically I am using TW classic a lot, accessing it a few times a
week for reference. But totally missed that flattr button. Just
focused too much on the fund raising page only.

I would like to suggest a few other changes.

- On the TW classic page, add a link to the fund raising page below
the flattr button. And a note somewhere explaining the effort. I think
most TW classic users are just not aware of this: the campaign, the
costs, reasons and so on.

- On the regular TW5 page, do the same. Add a link somewhere to the
fund raising page and explain it a bit. I guess most users of the TW5
version are also not aware of this effort. Maybe a flattr button can
be useful here, too. I tried to search for a link but could not find
one. Including searching for "fund" among the tiddler set ("search"
text box), without success.

I hope those changes can help to leverage the campaign.

Thanks,
Paulo