Edit the date of the tiddler

Sergey Shishkin

Jul 24, 2016, 5:34:58 AM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Friends, I began to translate the documentation into Russian, because I want to tiddliwiki have begun to actively apply the terms of our historic club where I want to develop information exchange standards information on the Web. Tiddliwiki is the ideal solution to create a chronological processes tiddliwiki files with tiddlers - historical events. But it would be absolutely perfect if there was a possibility to edit the creation date of the tiddlers. Let the default - it is the current date. But to be able to edit it in the YYYYMMDD format, and then we could interpret it as a date of historical events. Is this option possible? It is very important for us and for me personally. I have been actively promoting tiddliwiki in our community, and this option would be more important argument!

Jed Carty

Jul 24, 2016, 6:19:36 AM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Because of how tiddlywiki is coded you should avoid using the creation or modified dates as anything other than a record of when the tiddler itself was created or modified. Any manipulation of those fields is difficult. We have discussed this a lot and unfortunately at the moment there is no reasonable way to fix this.
For your purposes it is probably better to just make a new field and use that. Then you can use whatever format you wish on it and there are no problems from editing it.

Josiah

Jul 24, 2016, 6:47:42 AM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Jed & Sergey

I want to resonate with Sergey's concern.

Base dates in TiddlyWiki from an EDITOR'S point of view are currently a hassle. A hassle that breaches the fundamental interests of editor's.

Having to invent an additional workaround to handle something so fundamental is a definite weakness in TW which I hope will be addressed.

Best wishes
Josiah

Sergey Shishkin

Jul 24, 2016, 7:23:37 AM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
I think that the last modification date is not affected. And then it uses the creation date of the program? What for?

Josiah

Jul 24, 2016, 7:24:05 AM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Jed & Jeremy

I want to add to that. The TWO areas where I think there are a lot of workarounds which seriously add to hassle and overhead that perhaps make historical sense, but don't make much current user sense, are:

1 - Titles that HAVE TO BE UNIQUE. Crudely speaking "Titles" are the serialization. WHY?

2 - Complexity of BASE DATE changes.

IMO, both of these strongly impinge on EDITORIAL fluidity.

Best wishes
Josiah

Sergey Shishkin

Jul 24, 2016, 7:26:51 AM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Well, as long as the philosophy and implementation is not quite resonate. Notebook or something more?
Thanks for the support

Jed Carty

Jul 24, 2016, 7:33:25 AM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
I have never understood why either of those are problems. If you wish to use another date than you can make another field for whatever date you wish to use. There are probems with the date handling of the created and modified fields specifically for historical reasons that we aren't going to be able to change any time soon, but that affects only those fields and you can do anything you could do with those fields using other fields.

And as far as the titles being unique goes, you need to have some unique way to identify one tiddler vs another tiddler. We call that unique id the title, if you wanted to call it something else it would act exactly the same way and wouldn't solve any problems.

What do you want to do that either of those things prevents you from being able to do?

Josiah

Jul 24, 2016, 7:42:42 AM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Jed

I understand your point, I think.

But what I think you miss is that OUT-OF-THE-BOX users can have trouble with this that confuses them and makes somethings difficult that could be easy.

Essentially, the point is to what extent you need to be a TWEAKER to get basic stuff  done or not.

On TITLE & BASIC DATES I just don't get why its such a run-around,

Josiah.

Sergey Shishkin

Jul 24, 2016, 8:52:02 AM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
You probably programmer? And obviously, defend their solutions and see the situation from their point of view. It is natural. And now show an example of the optimal solution, in your opinion, with user-defined field. How to do it and do it correctly? Or give the reference where it is written. So it will be probably better than to enter into long philosophical discussions. In the meantime, I see a discrepancy between philosophy and implementation. But it is not pleading the merits of this amazing project. It is, anyway, is remarkable. But I'm waiting for your example of the correct solution to the problem. And how can I make the user-defined fields in this case? And most importantly how?

Sergey Shishkin

Jul 24, 2016, 9:22:54 AM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Once again, thank you. You are more reasonably explained about the date, is used in managing tasks. This issue is closed.

But now I expect from Jed optimal solution. What is the best way to create a custom field. And can there be a list or if I want to highlight, for example, a place apart from the date, I have to create another field? About user fields that can be created anywhere, I can not read anything. Only about standard fields. I see Examples implementation, and documentation of the base is not.

Birthe C

Jul 24, 2016, 11:44:31 AM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
This might give you some ideas.

http://historydates.tiddlyspot.com/

Birthe

Sergey Shishkin

Jul 24, 2016, 3:06:32 PM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Birthe,

super, and the date and place! I look carefully and with those looking for some. You can then ask you questions, if that?

With boundless respect
Sergey

Sergey Shishkin

Jul 24, 2016, 6:20:04 PM7/24/16
to TiddlyWiki
Birthe

I looked and I like this solution. That is, it satisfies me completely. But there is one point. The events are assumed to be dynamic parameters for the values which we are planning to create separate tiddler, which in contrast to the event date and place not needed. And it's easily solved. But the date and place specific parameters under which better to have external links than internal. Is that possible? How to make so that I could submit a URL for them?

Segey

воскресенье, 24 июля 2016 г., 17:44:31 UTC+2 пользователь Birthe C написал:
This might give you some ideas.

http://historydates.tiddlyspot.com/

Birthe

Sergey Shishkin

Jul 25, 2016, 1:50:50 PM7/25/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Add 20160725. After discussions and reflections in our historic community, we came to the conclusion that the first problem can be removed. There is only the question - whether to work with such datesjournal? We would call him chronology.

In connection with this, the second task becomes even more crucial for us. Can we worried for nothing. There is a simple opportunity for specific tiddlerov remove the subtitle? For example, by inserting some magic string. We are recommendatory in order to insert it into each tiddler. Hands. We are like that. Or maybe there is already such a procedure? Prompt!