Google Groups Forum Changes

TW Tones

Aug 22, 2020, 2:55:41 AM8/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Folks,

Have you seen the message, at least on the online forum?, where I live, I tend not to subscribe to emails
The new Google Groups offers all your favourite features with a fresh look and will replace classic Groups soon

I urge you to look and complain, where it does not at least provide equivalence. Google Groups is not perfect but many of us depend on it, so please do not wait until it is too late.

Thanks
Tones

Birthe C

Aug 22, 2020, 4:12:45 AM8/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
TW Tones,

It has changed automatically for me a couple of times now. Every time I get very confused and as soon as I realise what has happened I have changed it back. Soon we will not be able to do that any more.
I find it hard to read due to lack of definition.

It kind of reminds me of the time, when yahoo groups changed...a couple of years before disappearing completely. It got unusable. How I missed my old hobby groups,

I will do my best...but fear very much for the change of this group. I do hope though that the people who have been complaining about this group as it worked, will get what they want now.

A short while ago the text above the group was edited to make it easier for new users, after the change that seems to be far too long to be really readable taking up a large part of the screen and lots of scroll.

Birthe

PMario

Aug 22, 2020, 4:30:35 AM8/22/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, August 22, 2020 at 8:55:41 AM UTC+2, TW Tones wrote:
Have you seen the message, at least on the online forum?, where I live, I tend not to subscribe to emails
The new Google Groups offers all your favourite features with a fresh look and will replace classic Groups soon

I urge you to look and complain, where it does not at least provide equivalence. Google Groups is not perfect but many of us depend on it, so please do not wait until it is too late.

+1

You are right. Everyone should look at the new UI. ,,, If the new UI is selected, you can switch back with the "Cog icon" Settings at the top of the page. Click and select: "Return to Classic Google Groups"

You will be presented with a dialogue, that asks for feedback. ... That's the possibility to give feedback about how bad the new UI is -- From my point of view!

  • The "thread" lines use way too much vertical space, so I can't get an overview
    • With classic view I can see 33 lines
    • With new I can see: 15
    • Browser zoom is set to 130%
  • The Group Header / Intro element in the new UI is a "scrollable" which hides important information for new users
    • Users need to scroll down to see the important stuff
  • The new group header is always visible, which is useless, since it doesn't show the important content, without scrolling
  • The new group header should show the whole greeting text and it should go out of the way once the user starts to scroll down
  • In the left toolbar the "Favorite Lists" are _not_ sortable!
    • So groups, that I only visit from time to time are at the top and
    • The important groups are hard to reach
    • That's a big regression
  • The thread title should be the most visible element.
  • With the new UI a user-icon / avatar is the number 1 column,
    • That's completely useless since most users don't provide an avatar
    • There is no use to see the blue default icon for 90% of the posts
  • No 2 column is a list of "posters"
    • That's not important enough to be column 2
    • The thread title needs to be column 1 or 2
  • There is no information about how many posts and how many views a thread has ..
    • This info is IMPORTANT

You can copy paste this list if you think I'm right. ... You can remove the lines, where you think I'm wrong.

have fun!
mario

Ste

Aug 22, 2020, 4:52:56 AM8/22/20
to TiddlyWiki

My face feature of the new Google groups..., they say it in such a positive way,,, is that you can't reply on mobile from the mobile view. You have to check the 'desktop site' option first. Brilliant.

TiddlyTweeter

Aug 22, 2020, 7:33:38 AM8/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Is SEARCH better on revised?

Search is awful on EXISTING GG.

That is a deal maker/breaker too.

Never forget our existing system ALSO sucks. On search especially.

TT

Mark S.

Aug 22, 2020, 9:26:37 AM8/22/20
to TiddlyWiki

On Saturday, August 22, 2020 at 1:12:45 AM UTC-7, Birthe C wrote:
TW Tones,

It kind of reminds me of the time, when yahoo groups changed...a couple of years before disappearing completely. It got unusable. How I missed my old hobby groups,

Your groups didn't switch up to groups.io ? That's what the forum I moderate did, as did several others.

Yahoo shut down its groups because it wanted to save money. Google is changing groups because .... who knows why? It can't be cheaper. Suits!

Birthe C

Aug 22, 2020, 11:26:35 AM8/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S,

That sure looks like a very good idea.
My groups continued in Facebook groups as soon as we got some young members. They insisted constantly and ended up with a group 1/10 of the original members, but a much younger profile. All the old members were welcome but did not want to join Facebook then, This year a lot of the young ones are leaving, strangely enough for the same reasons given.

Facebook and the use of mobile phones has changed a lot.

Birthe

TW Tones

Aug 22, 2020, 10:32:42 PM8/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
On mobile,

I find the new Forum on Mobile almost useless, I can't star conversations for later and get a link and more - very disappointing so far.

Regards
Tony

talha131

Aug 25, 2020, 3:11:30 PM8/25/20
to TiddlyWiki

In the new Google Forum, I cannot find my “starred” conversations. So I reverted back to the classic UI.

But if this change, forces TW community to switch to a modern forum software, then it would be a blessing in disguise for people like me.

Eric Shulman

Aug 25, 2020, 4:09:19 PM8/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 12:11:30 PM UTC-7, talha131 wrote:

In the new Google Forum, I cannot find my “starred” conversations. So I reverted back to the classic UI.

You can still "star" a topic in the new GoogleGroups.  The star appears on the far *right* of each topic in the topic list.

However, there doesn't seem to be the "Starred" choice in the list of groups on the left, so there is no way to filter to see *only* the starred topics.

Yet another "missing feature"... sigh.

-e

TW Tones

Aug 25, 2020, 7:00:03 PM8/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
Unfortunately I cant see thus change stars in the Mobile version.

Tones