[TW5] Tabbed Table of Contents - not working?

Jon

Dec 20, 2014, 2:07:41 AM12/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

 When I've tried the tabbed table of contents, not all headings expand in the right hand section but I've noticed this also seems to occur in the TableOfContentsMacro Tabbed Example at tiddlywiki.com where the "Customise TiddlyWiki" heading doesn't expand to the right. Any ideas?

Thanks, Jon

Tobias Beer

Dec 20, 2014, 3:27:32 AM12/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Can't reproduce, seems to work for me.
Which browser are you using?

Best wishes, Tobias.

Jon

Dec 20, 2014, 4:58:29 AM12/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias,

I'm using FireFox - just refreshed the browser to re-test and still the same.

Thanks, Jon

Ton Gerner

Dec 20, 2014, 5:42:02 AM12/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

I can confirm what you are seeing, even at http://tiddlywiki.com/#TableOfContentsMacro%20Tabbed%20Example

'Customise TiddlyWiki' and 'TiddlyWiki Configurations' only show the heading, no expanded view.
I tried with Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer on Windows 7.

Cheers,

Ton

Jon

Dec 20, 2014, 6:03:14 AM12/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ton.

Mat

Dec 20, 2014, 6:40:40 AM12/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ton wrote:

I can confirm what you are seeing, even at http://tiddlywiki.com/#TableOfContentsMacro%20Tabbed%20Example

'Customise TiddlyWiki' and 'TiddlyWiki Configurations' only show the heading, no expanded view

Hm, the mentioned examples are (AFAIK, intentionally) empty tiddlers, only headings. You are, in the right frame, supposed to see only the heading and no text under.

 Could this all be a case of a problem that could be considered concerning tags that I describe here (at very bottom) - quote:

  • ...or vice versa; you may wish to use tags purely for categories and not as tiddlers. Take the ToC macro as used on tw.com for example: In closed state, you cannot tell if a ToC entry contains text or if it merely serves as a categorizer. On tw.com under tab Contents, compare e.g HelloThere with Customise Tiddlywiki. A visitor checking out Customize TiddlyWiki may wrongly conclude that the top level is merely a category name. ToC is autogenerated from tags so there is benefit in being helped with consistently choosing

So can we have some further way to (automatically) differentiate between pure tags and tiddlertitle-tags?

 <:-)

Mat

Dec 20, 2014, 6:49:00 AM12/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Clarification: In the link I provide, "bottom most" section I'm referring to occurs in that long *top most* post there.

Ton Gerner

Dec 20, 2014, 7:54:29 AM12/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat,

On Saturday, December 20, 2014 12:40:40 PM UTC+1, Mat wrote:
Ton wrote:

I can confirm what you are seeing, even at http://tiddlywiki.com/#TableOfContentsMacro%20Tabbed%20Example

'Customise TiddlyWiki' and 'TiddlyWiki Configurations' only show the heading, no expanded view

Hm, the mentioned examples are (AFAIK, intentionally) empty tiddlers, only headings. You are, in the right frame, supposed to see only the heading and no text under.

For sure, the tiddlers 'Customise TiddlyWiki' and 'TiddlyWiki Configurations' do contain only a heading, so *technically* it is correct.

But it looks strange for a *normal user* if you compare the TOC in the Sidebar with the TOC in the Tabbed Table of Contents:
'HelloThere' contains text plus links in both cases, 'Customise TiddlyWiki' in the Sidebar contains 8 links and 'Customise TiddlyWiki' in the Tabbed Table of Contents contains nothing !

N.B. Strange is also that 'HelloThere' in the Tabbed Table of Contents contains more linka then the TOC in the Sidebar.

Cheers,

Ton

Mat

Dec 20, 2014, 8:11:31 AM12/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ton writes:
But it looks strange for a *normal user* if you compare the TOC in the Sidebar with the TOC in the Tabbed Table of Contents:
'HelloThere' contains text plus links in both cases, 'Customise TiddlyWiki' in the Sidebar contains 8 links and 'Customise TiddlyWiki' in the Tabbed Table of Contents contains nothing !

Could you provide a screen dump? I'm afraid don't understand what you describe or it just shows differently for us. I use FFlatest Win8.1.

N.B. Strange is also that 'HelloThere' in the Tabbed Table of Contents contains more linka then the TOC in the Sidebar.

Additional links? Which tiddlers do they lead to? Has someone planted Easter Eggs in TW !? ;-)

<:-)

Ton Gerner

Dec 20, 2014, 8:21:25 AM12/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat,

I use Windows 7  + FFlatest and Chrome latest (both browsers show the same).

Screendumps from http://tiddlywiki.com/#TableOfContentsMacro%20Tabbed%20Example

Cheers,

Ton
TOC_Tabbed_TOC1.png
TOC_Tabbed_TOC2.png

Mat

Dec 20, 2014, 9:07:38 AM12/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
By now I'm probably the only one who still just don't understand what the problem is so I should probably keep quiet, but just one last question before I give up:

As it is, you must for both the sidebar toc macro and in the tabbed toc, click the gray arrow to see the subheadings.
And you must for both the sidebar toc macro and in the tabbed toc, click the link to see the actual content.
Would you prefer it behaved another way in some case?

Thank you.

<:-)

Mat

Dec 20, 2014, 9:12:32 AM12/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Or are you talking about the bullet list in HelloThere, which does not match the subheadings of HelloThere? If that is what you're referring to, I'd agree they sould match. Not sure what that has to do wiht the other tiddlers referred to though...

Ton Gerner

Dec 20, 2014, 9:36:14 AM12/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat,

Yes, the bulleted list. In most cases the bulleted list is the same as what you see when clicking the arrow. So you can say it is "double". In some cases it is different, e.g.:
'Customise TiddlyWiki' no bulleted list at all, only the 'arrow' list.
'HelloThere' the bulleted list is different from the 'arrow' list.

This is just confusing since it is not consistent.

Cheers,

Ton

Tobias Beer

Dec 20, 2014, 10:17:26 AM12/20/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat,

So can we have some further way to (automatically) differentiate between pure tags and tiddlertitle-tags?

While an indicator would be advisable, I personally think that there should not be a category devoid of introductory information on an official site.

At least, the list of children should be rendered without further comment... as a default for "missing contents".

Put differently, I don't think that the way tagging tiddlers — which by default are sub-items — are currently hidden in the info-panel is what users want.

Best wishes, Tobias.

Ton Gerner

Dec 21, 2014, 11:46:35 AM12/21/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com