Single StoryList in 5.1.22 results in loss of "session behavior" when on Node.js

HokieGeek

Apr 16, 2020, 11:26:27 AM4/16/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Sorry if I missed this being brought up, but I am running TW 5.1.22 on node.js and a change to the StoryList has caused what I think is an unintended consequence. Or perhaps there is a setting that I need to change.

In the past,  whenever I pointed a browser instance to my TW instance, it would create a new StoryList.
The effect was that I could be browsing the wiki with one set of tiddlers open, and on a separate browser instance (mine or another user's) could have a different set of tiddlers open.
When I updated to 5.1.22, the behavior I see now is that the StoryList gets updated from the server to all client copies so that all instances will have the same tiddlers open.

Has anybody experienced this?

HokieGeek

Apr 16, 2020, 11:43:34 AM4/16/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Added a screecast showing the behavior: https://youtu.be/FM1pFayWd_M

It does take about a minute for each sync update

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 11:26:27 AM UTC-4, HokieGeek wrote:
Sorry if I missed this being brought up, but I am running TW 5.1.22 on node.js a change to the StoryList has caused what I think is an unintended consequence. Or perhaps there is a setting that I need to change.

Saq Imtiaz

Apr 16, 2020, 12:38:18 PM4/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
This is a consequences of a change in behaviour in syncing of system tiddlers.

A workaround is to use the publishFilter to exclude the storyList from being saved.

Saq Imtiaz

Apr 16, 2020, 12:49:48 PM4/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Another option might be tweak the syncFilter in $:/config/SyncFilter to not sync $:/StoryList

The publishFilter may only apply to the single file version and not on node.

HokieGeek

Apr 16, 2020, 12:56:30 PM4/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Excellent! The PublishFilter did not work, but SyncFilter seems to be working great. And, it has the added bonus of being the thing I should have been doing all along!

Thank you!

HokieGeek

Apr 16, 2020, 2:46:21 PM4/16/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I spoke a little too soon. It's *almost* fixed in that it no longer is live synching, but now I have a less terrible issue but still gonna keep me from upgrading.

The issue:

If I have a browser instance opened to my wiki, the next instances will load with all the default tiddlers as expected, but then they get replaced with the same StoryList as the previously opened instance.

Once they do their initial start, they no longer synchronize no matter which instance I change.

Importantly, all new instances will start with the same tiddlers that the original instance had when it first connected with the server, even if I change that original instance.

If I close all instances, then create a new one, it still gets those tiddlers that the original instance started with.

I deleted $:/StoryList from disk and it's not getting created again.

Seems like the StoryList is getting cached on the server and the only way to clear it is by restarting it.

Saq Imtiaz

Apr 16, 2020, 4:18:30 PM4/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
I suspect this change in the sync behaviour has unanticipated consequences, which we are seeing now.

Does the same problem occur if you shutdown the node instance, delete the storylist and then restart it?

HokieGeek

Apr 16, 2020, 4:34:39 PM4/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, it does. The first client that requests the wiki gets just the default tiddlers, but all other requests get whatever tiddlers that one instance has

Jeremy Ruston

Apr 16, 2020, 4:41:56 PM4/16/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi HokieGeek, Saq,

This does indeed sound like an unintended consequence of fixing the bug whereby system tiddlers weren’t dynamically synced from the server to the client. (One of the pleasures of fixing bugs is finding another bug underneath…)

I’ll have a proper look tomorrow, but I think we need to make special allowance for $:/StoryList and a few other per-user settings.

Best wishes

Jeremy

HokieGeek

Apr 16, 2020, 4:49:56 PM4/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy,

It happens. I will stick with 5.1.21 for the time being. Thanks for the update!

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 4:41:56 PM UTC-4, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
Hi HokieGeek, Saq,

This does indeed sound like an unintended consequence of fixing the bug whereby system tiddlers weren’t dynamically synced from the server to the client. (One of the pleasures of fixing bugs is finding another bug underneath…)

I’ll have a proper look tomorrow, but I think we need to make special allowance for $:/StoryList and a few other per-user settings.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Sylvain Naudin

Apr 18, 2020, 2:12:41 PM4/18/20
to TiddlyWiki

Le jeudi 16 avril 2020 22:49:56 UTC+2, HokieGeek a écrit :
Jeremy,

It happens. I will stick with 5.1.21 for the time being. Thanks for the update!

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 4:41:56 PM UTC-4, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
Hi HokieGeek, Saq,

This does indeed sound like an unintended consequence of fixing the bug whereby system tiddlers weren’t dynamically synced from the server to the client. (One of the pleasures of fixing bugs is finding another bug underneath…)

I’ll have a proper look tomorrow, but I think we need to make special allowance for $:/StoryList and a few other per-user settings.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Good to know ! I was surprise this morning to see that when I did a test live with other people at the same time.