Re: [tw] Announcing TiddlyChrome

Ben John

Mar 21, 2017, 5:11:22 AM3/21/17
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arlen

Can you tell me why my link was blocked? - I have AVG installed on my computer which is running Windows 10
regards

Ben

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Gmail Team <mail-n...@google.com> wrote:

The message "[tw] Announcing TiddlyChrome" from Arlen Beiler (arle...@gmail.com) contained a virus or a suspicious attachment. It was therefore not fetched from your account ben...@virginmedia.com and has been left on the server.

If you wish to write to Arlen, just hit reply and send Arlen a message.

Thanks,

The Gmail Team

Arlen Beiler

Mar 22, 2017, 6:28:32 PM3/22/17
to TiddlyWiki
That's strange, not sure.

Here's the link

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 10, 2017, 5:53:24 PM7/10/17
to TiddlyWiki
I'm looking at calculating the final end of simple browser file saving in TW ...

Do you know WHEN TiddlyChrome will stop working?

Its an app in Chrome right? And Google will stop it working in time? Right?

I just don't know enough to know WHEN. Do you know when its planned it will stop working?

Best wishes
Josiah

Arlen Beiler

Jul 10, 2017, 9:20:46 PM7/10/17
to TiddlyWiki
Starting in late 2016, newly-published Chrome apps will only be available to users on Chrome OS. Existing Chrome apps will remain accessible on all platforms, and developers can continue to update them.

In the second half of 2017, the Chrome Web Store will no longer show Chrome apps on Windows, Mac, and Linux, but will continue to surface extensions and themes. In early 2018, users on these platforms will no longer be able to load Chrome apps.

So, apparently, early 2018 is the cut off date. The route recommended in the announcement was NodeWebKit or Electron for developers who need desktop apps; however, I think I am just going to focus on TiddlyServer from here forward as that seems to have the most promise in many ways. Anyone can use my electron app if they want (https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyWiki-Electron) -- I still use it, though rarely. But I like the idea of TiddlyServer because you can use whatever browser you want with whatever else you want in it.

Hope that helps :)

-Arlen

@TiddlyTweeter

Jul 10, 2017, 9:37:33 PM7/10/17
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Arlen.

So TiddlyChrome will likely stop working in early 2018. Firefox ESR will likely begin to expire around March/April 2018. Firefox normal would have been over since November 2017.

Its good folk like you are working on other routes. We are going to need them.

Josiah

Yakov

Jul 11, 2017, 3:56:14 PM7/11/17
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Arlen,

could you clarify: TiddlyChrome is a Chrome app, not an extension? It can't be rewritten as an extension? (extensions can't write data to hard-drive?)

Best regards,
Yakov.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 5:53 PM, @TiddlyTweeter <tiddly...@assays.tv> wrote:
I'm looking at calculating the final end of simple browser file saving in TW ...

Do you know WHEN TiddlyChrome will stop working?

Its an app in Chrome right? And Google will stop it working in time? Right?

I just don't know enough to know WHEN. Do you know when its planned it will stop working?

Best wishes
Josiah

Arlen Beiler

Jul 11, 2017, 4:09:53 PM7/11/17
to TiddlyWiki
could you clarify: TiddlyChrome is a Chrome app, not an extension? It can't be rewritten as an extension? (extensions can't write data to hard-drive?)

Correct, correct, and correct. It can't be written as an extension because extensions can't write to the hard drive.

-Arlen