Request Search to filter tags, but by typing tiddler titles into search box

David Gifford

Aug 19, 2018, 10:11:42 AM8/19/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all

I found the TagSearch plugin ($:/plugins/danielo/tagSearch) which is great for filtering tiddler titles by typing the names of tags.

I would kind of like the reverse: a list of tag pills, which when you type the titles of tiddlers that have those tags into a searchbar above the list of tags, the list of tags gets narrowed down. Then you can click on the remaining tag pills to see and open tiddlers.

Does this already exist? If not, can it be done? I dug into my toolmap and did a search here on the forum, but couldn't find anything.

Mark S.

Aug 19, 2018, 6:58:09 PM8/19/18
to TiddlyWiki
I'm not sure I found the right tagSearch plugin. The one I was looking at, the "+" sign didn't seem to do anything. I wasn't sure how to use it.

In your example, I'm also not sure what you mean. A typical title will only have 2 or 3 tags associated with it. Would you immediately whittle the list down to all items tagged the same? Also, typing a complete tag is usually easy. But typing an entire title is likely to be difficult. Perhaps you could provide some examples of what you have in mind.

Have fun!

-- Mark

David Gifford

Aug 20, 2018, 9:35:49 AM8/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mark

Sometimes they call it tagssearch and sometimes tagsearch, so I wasn't sure how to call it in the toolmap. It is this one. http://braintest.tiddlyspot.com/#TagsSearch-Plugin

As for what I want to do: I plan to have a way to enter the title and author of a book, and every new tiddler will have that in the tiddler title, and I will just add the page #. Then I will tag it by a topic, maybe two. So I will quickly create a large number of tiddlers and a large number of tags.

So I would like to be able to search or see the tags associated with a book, despite the fact that there is no one central tiddler for the book. So I want to see a list of tags when I add part of the title or author into the search field. That way I see which tags(topics) are associated with that book. Does that make more sense? From your previous answer (and thinking it through) it sounds like maybe it only works for tags when the entire tiddler title is added? I was hoping for more of a regexp type of solution where I can type a snippet.

Mark S.

Aug 20, 2018, 11:35:35 AM8/20/18
to TiddlyWiki

Sometimes they call it tagssearch and sometimes tagsearch, so I wasn't sure how to call it in the toolmap. It is this one. http://braintest.tiddlyspot.com/#TagsSearch-Plugin

When you mention the toolmap, you should probably include a link.

I couldn't get tagsearch to do anything meaningful. I would put a tag in, and click on the Plus sign, and it would empty the tag space. The docs are pretty terse.

As for what I want to do: I plan to have a way to enter the title and author of a book, and every new tiddler will have that in the tiddler title, and I will just add the page #. Then I will tag it by a topic, maybe two. So I will quickly create a large number of tiddlers and a large number of tags.

So I would like to be able to search or see the tags associated with a book, despite the fact that there is no one central tiddler for the book. So I want to see a list of tags when I add part of the title or author into the search field. That way I see which tags(topics) are associated with that book. Does that make more sense? From your previous answer (and thinking it through) it sounds like maybe it only works for tags when the entire tiddler title is added? I was hoping for more of a regexp type of solution where I can type a snippet.

Ok. That makes more sense ...

-- Mark

Mark S.

Aug 20, 2018, 11:44:22 AM8/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
Something like this, then:

<$edit-text tiddler="mytitlesearch" size="50" tag="input"/>

<$reveal state="mytitlesearch" type="nomatch" text="">
<
<list-links "[search{mytitlesearch}tags[]]">>
</$reveal>

???

-- Mark

HansWobbe

Aug 20, 2018, 12:11:00 PM8/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
Excellent.

I use a large number of distinct tags from the full unicode set and my tittles generally consist of easily typed keyboeard characters.

I would never have thought of this way of gaining easy access to the hard-to-type symbols.

Thanks for shaing!

Regards,
Hans

On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 11:44:22 AM UTC-4, Mark S. wrote:
Something like this, then:

Mark S.

Aug 20, 2018, 12:21:25 PM8/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
Oh, I forgot that you probably want to see the tags as buttons. So ...

<$edit-text tiddler="mytitlesearch" size="50" tag="input"/>

<$reveal state="mytitlesearch" type="nomatch" text="">
<$list filter="[search{mytitlesearch}tags[]]" template="$:/core/ui/TagTemplate">
</$list>
</$reveal>

-- Mark

Mohammad

Aug 20, 2018, 12:51:05 PM8/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
Mark,
 Is it possible to ignore result for inputs less than three characters?

-Mohammad

David Gifford

Aug 20, 2018, 12:53:08 PM8/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
Mark that works perfectly! Thank you so much!!!

David Gifford

Aug 20, 2018, 12:58:34 PM8/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
I added this in Tags and in Search in the toolmap https://dynalist.io/d/zUP-nIWu2FFoXH-oM7L7d9DM

David Gifford

Aug 20, 2018, 2:21:31 PM8/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all

Thanks to Mark's help in this thread, I was able to put this together: http://giffmex.org/experiments/crossref.tags.titles.exp.html. There is an explanation there of how it works and why I created it. Case closed!

Note that the file uses a portion I swiped from the Zemox tag cloud, and a modified version of the tagssearch plugin. The originals can be found via the toolmap in the section on tagging, https://dynalist.io/d/zUP-nIWu2FFoXH-oM7L7d9DM#z=Wb-xfQvyYKG0Uzc3ZgEXnaKB.

Mark S.

Aug 20, 2018, 3:14:47 PM8/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
A version that waits for 3 characters:

<$edit-text tiddler="mytitlesearch" size="50" tag="input"/>

''Results:''<br/>
<$list filter="[{mytitlesearch}] +[minlength[3]]" emptyMessage="Type at least 3 characters to see results">

<$list filter="[search{mytitlesearch}tags[]]" template="$:/core/ui/TagTemplate">
</$list>
</$list>

-- Mark

bimlas

Aug 21, 2018, 8:09:35 AM8/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
Maybe you are interested in http://tagfilter.tiddlyspot.com/#Start too.

bimlas

Oct 28, 2018, 5:05:27 PM10/28/18
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry for writing to a "closed" thread, but you may be interested in FilteredTags:

Filter by multiple tags: Use the checkboxes to filter the list of tags; clicking on the tag lists only those tiddlers that are assigned to each of the selected tags. The list can be filtered using the global search box.
https://bimlas.gitlab.io/#Filter%20by%20multiple%20tags%20easily%3A%20FilteredTag%20example