Project Healing Waters Fly Tying Marathon This Saturday, March 19 at Port City Brewing

Dalton Terrell

Mar 16, 2016, 10:40:42 AM3/16/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The annual Project Healing Waters Fly Tying Marathon is this Saturday, March 19 from 12 Noon - 4PM at Port City Brewing in Alexandria, VA. Wray Sinclair started this tradition five years ago in a church, and of course TPFR moved the event to not only a bar but a brewery. This is an awesome event for a great cause, see the video that TPFR MattT made last year.

All flies tied will be donated to the local Project Healing Waters clubs and used by our wounded veterans. Tiers may tie and donate anything they'd like, but the vast majority of PHW events and fishing days are done on trout streams or warm water locations, so flies tied with this in mind are preferred. Try to stick with relatively larger patterns that are easy to see and attach to tippet.  Examples would be:
Woolly Buggers
Elk Hair Caddis
Hare's Ear Nymphs
Pheasant Tail Nymphs
Green Weenies
San Juan Worms
Foam Beetles
Hoppers
Bass/Bluegill Poppers

We've also got some sweet raffle items donated by the local Orvis shops, thanks to Duber and Trent!

Go here for directions to Port City Brewing. And check our events page for more upcoming events.

Look forward to seeing you out this Saturday!

Dalton

Dalton Terrell

Mar 18, 2016, 1:53:59 PM3/18/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Just another reminder, the Project Healing Waters Fly Tying Marathon is tomorrow at Port City Brewing from noon-4PM. The weather's going to be bad this weekend, so you might as well tie flies and have a few brews!

Dalton

tperkins

Mar 18, 2016, 3:44:51 PM3/18/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Looking forward to it! See you tomorrow.

Dalton Terrell

Mar 19, 2016, 11:22:36 PM3/19/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Solid turnout today, with some good flies donated and a little money raised in the raffle for Project Healing Waters. Thanks to Port City for hosting us and thanks a ton for everyone who came out!

Al Warner

Mar 20, 2016, 8:51:52 AM3/20/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I would like to second what Dalton said and give further thanks to the members of TPFR who tied and donated hundreds of flies and $200 in the raffle.  The money will go to the Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing coffers for use in their programs and the flies will be used by the warriors in the Walter Reed Program.  Many fish will be caught because of the efforts of Tamara, Matt, Terry, Dalton, Steve, Misha, Carl, Kenn, Maria and the others whose names I regretfully can’t remember (including Matt’s delightful girlfriend – you know you’re getting older when you can’t remember charming women’s’ names!).  A great afternoon with terrific benefits for those who have sacrificed so much for all of us.  Thanks, so much.  Looking forward to doing it again next year!

Al Warner

Program Lead Walter Reed

PHWFF

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Al Warner

Mar 20, 2016, 9:41:03 AM3/20/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Further to my last post, I can’t believe I forgot to mention the man who filled a fly box with bugs and coordinated the event with Port City – Rob Snowhite!  My apologies, Rob and Great Thanks!

namfos

Mar 20, 2016, 10:44:55 AM3/20/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
A pleasure to come out and tie some up for a good cause, Al!

Plus I learned that an industrial park could be one hopping and swinging place on a rainy Saturday.

Mark