Wading staff preference?

TurbineBlade

Oct 14, 2012, 6:16:12 PM10/14/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I hit Andy Guest this morning and quickly determined that I was very likely to activate my rod's warranty if I tried to continue wading without a staff, a large stick, or a series of pulleys and chains.  I slipped on my butt and soaked my torso pretty well, but thankfully the belted waders didn't take on hardly any water.....I was surprised and happy about this!

Anyway - this was very near the canoe launch area and I should have been smarter about it -- my wife was far wiser and figured this out early on (refusing to continue wading), but I was determined to be stupid!  Stupidity takes a lot of dedication and perseverance if you do it the right way.  Further upstream was much calmer and more conducive to wading, but I didn't know this at the time.....and remember, I was pretty busy being stupid.  Floating on a canoe would probably be the best bet for this water, and it's very likely that I'll wait until next spring to try this out.  The river itself is beautiful and the park there is top-notch.  We had a great time just being there and hiking around.

Any recommendations for a good wading staff?  I don't know much about them, but I'm all ears after this trip ;).  I like how there's no end to the gadgets you can buy for fly fishing.  I don't want my checking account to get too full.

Thanks folks,

Gene

Rob Snowhite

Oct 14, 2012, 6:27:01 PM10/14/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I like the folstaf the one that has a bunch of articulated pieces that all connect by themselves. Its pricey. On the other hand (no pun) you could use a trekking pole sold at REI, HTO, or at Marshalls. Would have told you to stop at the Apple House near Front Royal to pick me up some sparkling mulled cider. That stuff is the best!

Oct 14, 2012, 7:09:48 PM10/14/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Me too on the Folstaf.
Sounds like a nice trip.
John

Sent from my iPad

Danny Barrett

Oct 15, 2012, 8:43:57 AM10/15/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I forget the price on orvis's.  I got mine as a gift years ago.  But it folds into about a 1 foot long unit for easy storing.   Elastic cord in the middle so it assembles fast.  and lifetime warrenty on it, you dont even need a receit.  i have snapped it twice in a few years by being stupid.  it got stuck in some muddy bottom rivers, and when i pulled it did not want to come loose.  Personaly i love that staff.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Dan Barrett

32 Highland Ave.
Morgantown, WV 26505

peter odell

Oct 15, 2012, 8:45:07 AM10/15/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have a Simms folding wading staff.  When it works, its great - and is easy to travel with.  However, it cost a bundle (gift), and I've had to return/exchange at least 3 of them over the years.  If you are staying locally, a single piece trekking pole or walking stick will work great (leaving you more dollars to spend on other stuff), just make sure you have a way to attach it to your wading belt so you can drop it any any point.

Even with the wading stick, I have made the mistake of taking "just one step" without it while casting or right after a cast, and had some chilly wet encounters - so you have to use the 3rd leg to get the benefits.

namfos

Oct 15, 2012, 8:48:55 AM10/15/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have a Folstaff knockoff that I find useful.  A work colleague and I split the price on an online "buy one get one" (BOGO) sale a few years back <$30.  Cork grip on it stinks (I've had to repeatedly Gorilla glue it) yet it's still serviceable.   I think this winter I'll get some better cork and fashion a new grip.

BruceC2C

Oct 18, 2012, 2:51:24 PM10/18/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
DITTO ....for $20 pair of trekking poles...WALMART...COSTCO..and others mentioned.
the fact that they do not fold down has never been a problem
!00% functional

Bruce Mathews

Oct 19, 2012, 1:34:00 PM10/19/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
For those who might want to spend less I would suggest some thrift stores for old ski poles.  Usually a buck or two for a pair.  You can remove the basket at the bottom.  I put a rubber cane tip on the bottom to quiet it down a little.  Tie on about 6 feet of cord and tie it to your belt on the down stream side.  They sort of semi-float.  Being older with a not so solid knee, I like have two points of contact at all times.   I have one of the collapsing styles that I got for fishing on Grand Cayman.  I have been wading near Rum Point (just off String-Ray City) and had some rays up to three feet diameter swim around my feet.  I tried nudging them with the fly rod tip - no luck.  The wading staff is heavy enough to shoo them away.  You have to be careful else you brought a wading staff to a stingray fight.

Bruce Mathews
703.772.7167

Oct 20, 2012, 5:09:34 PM10/20/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
the pro line at Dicks sports is the articulated type and is under $30.  I have seen a similar one at Dicks with a cork handle that was on sale for under 20 this past summer.

Frank

Terry C

Oct 26, 2012, 12:08:31 AM10/26/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I don't wade without my Orvis wading staff. Had both hips replaced about 5 years ago. Also use it when hiking, took it up Cadilac mountain last summer. I had to put parafin wax on the joints to keep it from getting stuck together. Having that third point of contact while wading is a big help.

namfos

Oct 26, 2012, 12:57:14 PM10/26/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Some good prices on trekking poles at Derailed, http://bit.ly/TkxiHw