Tying the Hawkin's Hat Trick

Morgan Kupfer

Apr 25, 2013, 9:02:58 PM4/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
For those of you who don't know me, my name is Morgan. I run the blog Tight Lined Tales of a Fly Fisherman (TLTFF) out of Annapolis, MD. I also am part of The Backwoods Crew (BWC), a site/blog/lifestyle run out of Sussex County, DE. On top of running TLTFF, I contribute to BWC with video and tips.I posted a new fly tying tutorial recently and figured some of you guys might like it. Hawkin's Hat Trick was designed to be a smallmouth machine. If tied in the right colors and size, its probably a snakeheads crack. Click here to enjoy, hope y'all like.

Senor_denito

May 1, 2013, 10:48:54 PM5/1/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Morgan,

Cool instructional.  I've always been interested in tying this fly, so tonight I whipped one of my own.  Gracias for the tutorial!
hat trick .jpeg

Matthew Longley

May 2, 2013, 12:01:02 AM5/2/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Dennis that looks awesome.  Did you palmer the maribou?  Still trying to get the technique on that down.

Senor_denito

May 2, 2013, 12:32:24 AM5/2/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

I did palmer the marabou.  It took a few tries / winds forward to get it right.  With every wind forward I would hand brush the marabou back towards the hook bend.

TurbineBlade

May 2, 2013, 5:12:45 AM5/2/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I like marabou patterns like this!  I'll share a few since I'm at it.

One pattern I like a lot of gartside's soft hackle streamer...somewhat like the yellow, pink, orange above.  Only I used pheasant soft hackle feathers.  I love soft hackles quite a lot -- it seems to displace the water just enough to seem "alive" or something.  I figure any way to mix it into a streamer pattern must be good ;)....though mine are hacked-up versions of what they probably should be.

You've convinced me to add rubber legs to my palmered marabou patterns like that pheasant leech.  I think it works like a charm on woolly buggers, like the fairly ugly one tied above on the right.

Catfish seem to like it anyway!
Pheasant leech.JPG
streamers.JPG
Catfish.JPG
More catfish.JPG

TurbineBlade

May 2, 2013, 5:29:43 AM5/2/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and thanks for sharing the vid Morgan.  That's a cool pattern.

BTW - is the hat trick a hockey reference?  Caps/Rangers tonight!