Riverbend Fishing Report

HeaveToo

Jul 24, 2012, 8:27:44 PM7/24/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I went to Riverbend tonight.  The water is up a little, slightly tinged, and moving quickly.  I worked my butt off and managed to hook and loose an okay sized smallmouth.  It bit on an orange and black clowser's.

I fished for 4 hours and didn't get any more smallmouth action.  I managed to avoid the skunk by hooking a few bream.

Various flied were tried.  I used a shenks white streamers, Hellgramite nymph patterns, cray fish patterns, and a bunch of other flies.

I noticed the water temperature is down some, thank God.  It will probably fish better by the end of the week when the levels of the river drops to normal and it clears up all the way.

Carl Zmola

Jul 24, 2012, 11:36:15 PM7/24/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was out Monday just across the river and the water was cooler than lat week and up slightly, but still clear. I had a nice little smb on a Shannon's streamer.

Carl

Sent from my iPhone

Aaron O

Jul 25, 2012, 11:00:22 AM7/25/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Carl,

      Have you had much success with Shannon's streamers before?  I recently found the fly tying instructions for it online and was going to give it a try.

Aaron

HeaveToo

Jul 25, 2012, 5:37:17 PM7/25/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The Shannon's streamer looks pretty good.  I think that it will have similar action to Shenk's White Streamer.

Shenk's White is an easy streamer to tie and I have been making them for years.  Once you get the hang of the dubbing loop the rest is straight forward.  I tie these in size 8, 6, and 4.  The hook is Mustad 9672 and I use a heavy tread in white.  This is my go-to pattern for smallies.

http://www.smallmouthflyangler.com/articles/shenks-streamer.php

Carl Zmola

Jul 26, 2012, 6:00:18 PM7/26/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Aaron,
I have just started fishing the Shannon's streamer. Shenk's streamer
and Shannon's streamer are almost identical. The Shenk's streamer has
been around longer and has more tradition behind it (hey, Ed Shenk
designed it, so it can't be bad), but Rich McElligot is a great tyer and
I like the extended body on the Shannon's Streamer. I weight these
quite heavily.

I've hooked up with quite a few Smallies in the past week on these.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Shannons_Streamer.htm

For some similar patterns, see the following article.
http://www.flyfishohio.com/Wonder-ful%20Chenille%20Worms.htm
If that doesn't give you some ideas for some smallmouth flies, nothing will.

I use Allene's Fabric Fusion to put on googly eyes. A trip to Michael's
or AC Moore for some Patton's Bohemian yarn, some google eyes and some
Allene's Fabric Fusion to glue the eyes on will get you 90% of the way
there. Just add hooks, lead wire and marabou. I buy marabou from fly
tying suppliers, not from the hobby shop since the fly tying marabou is
much nicer.

You can crank out these flies so fast that you end up running out of
space in your fly box before getting tired of tying them.

Here is a chenille frog that I have tied up for largemouth (with similar
techniques)

Carl
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/xS_h16YbLBwJ.
frogs_swap.JPG

Aaron O

Jul 27, 2012, 8:57:29 AM7/27/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Carl,

     Your a rock star!  I will take your suggestions to heart and plan to tie some up soon.  Love the hoppers too!

Aaron

darbrewe

Aug 8, 2012, 10:41:15 AM8/8/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I tied a couple of the Shenk's streamers in white and chartreuse and they did fairly well for me as long as I threw into chutes. Anything less than fast water didn't get a look.

HeaveToo

Aug 9, 2012, 12:59:52 AM8/9/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Shenk's White Streamer is a pattern for riffles.  The Smallies love current and they feed a lot at the head of the pool.  The tail end of the pool will hold juveniles a lot of the time.  If you find deep cuts with current you have found a really good place.

You have to have a pretty good stem on the marabou when you tie up shannon's streamer.  I tied a few that came a part after a few fish.  I then had a few that were much tougher because I had used marabou that had a stouter stem.  I also tie a little flash-a-boo into the marabou tail and it seems to give a nice bit of extra action.  These end up being pretty big flies on a 1 ot hook.

Right now, for Riverbend, the streamers have been producing nice classes of fish.  I still go with the big fly big fish theory and it has been true with the Shannon's Streamer.  I caught some really nice Smallies on my last trip because of the big fly theory.  I haven't been having any luck on crayfish.