Can't decide?

Aaron O

Oct 25, 2012, 9:29:53 AM10/25/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I will be doing some early morning (sun rise) high tide fishing coming up and can't decide whether to go fishing at Chainbridge or go to 4 mile run.  I know there has been a lot of talk about fall stripers but I don't know how productive it has been.  At 4 mile, there would be less chances for stripers but of course there are so many other types of fish there. I am looking for peoples 2 cents so lets hear it.

TurbineBlade

Oct 25, 2012, 10:14:40 AM10/25/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I haven't fished under chain bridge, but 4MR honesty is incredibly easy to access, wade, and fish.  There are some large bluegill and some really large bass IME there -- if you catch one of those monster bass let me know ;).  I always spook them.

Also carp, catfish, stripers on occasion (Rob get's them), and who knows what else.  Nothing would surprise me.  Cichlids aren't unheard of if you do a search...though I expect they're taper off as the temps dip below about 67F.  If I recall, the lowest temp tolerance for a cichlid species is this guy -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_cichlid  ;).

I'm sure most of these species are under chain bridge.  Let us know how you do!

Gene

Aaron O

Oct 25, 2012, 11:55:06 AM10/25/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your thoughts Gene. I have been at 4-mile recently but without much success (1 eight to ten inch striper) however it was at low tide. I would like to emphasize that I'm in no way talking bad about 4-mile, I 'm just not sure which location has better odds of success.

So everyone can leave thier partisian ideals at home on this vote, No matter which side you vote on, I WIN!!!  :)

FlyTimesDC

Oct 25, 2012, 12:59:05 PM10/25/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If it's high tide, stripers will be in 4MR by the water discharge. Especially early in the morning, late in the evening, or at night. If you can time the tide right to where you have either the first couple hours of the falling tide or are fishing the peak of the rising tide (before you get washed out) - you have a very good chance of getting into some linesiders. That said, it's not a given for 4MR striper action. The schoolies go where they please and have many options along that shoreline as to where to hunt depending on the tide (Little Hunting Creek, Gravelly Point, etc). Hopefully they start showing up in better numbers - I've been out to Gravelly the past two mornings and some fish breaking, even caught a couple stout 12-14" schoolies, but even with the "perfect conditions" this morning (i.e. falling tide, overcast skies, fog, bait in the water) the fish weren't there in great numbers or if they were - they did a great job of hiding. Hope this helps.

Tight lines,
Remick

TurbineBlade

Oct 25, 2012, 1:01:41 PM10/25/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
+1.  I've hit it with my wife about 1 hour before, thru, and then maybe 1-2 hours after high tide.  Fishing was quite good.  All we had were 5-6 weights with level 6# fluoro leader, and mostly just #10 woolly buggers.  Lots of bluegill action, a few smaller bass, a yellow perch, and we saw a lot of stuff that we couldn't catch (as always right? ;))

Try high tide -- but you never know with fishing!

Gene