New Year Resolutions | Dubbing Spinner /Twister

Rob Snowhite

Dec 20, 2012, 3:00:16 PM12/20/12
to tidal potomac
I'm in the market for a dubbing twister. Any pros/cons from brands? Anything to look for?

Gene got me interested in dubbing as its something I've never really picked up as a tier. Its going to be my new years resolution- to do some neat dubbing in my flies.

Any new years resolutions for y'all in the fly fishing realm?

Rob Snowhite

Scott Stankus

Dec 20, 2012, 3:08:33 PM12/20/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
For 2012 I hoped to catch a fish on a fly every month of the year. I didn't succeed, so I'm carrying it forward to 2013.

Also, I'm hoping to make it to more Beer Ties in the new year. Getting all 12 would be ideal!

--Scott

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

HeaveToo

Dec 20, 2012, 3:11:23 PM12/20/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Rob Snowhite
It would be cool to catch a new fish on the fly next year.  I caught my first snakehead last year and I want to catch another one next year that is bigger.

I haven't caught a lot of different species on the fly yet.  It would be a neat feat to catch a carp, a muskie, or some other species.

Aaron O

Dec 20, 2012, 3:18:05 PM12/20/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Rob Snowhite

New Years 2013 fishing resolution.  Learn how to and successfully fish nymphs.  I know everyone says how easy it is but I have yet to have even a nibble.  Currently tying some nymphs to fish for the spring.

Aaron

Bob Bishop

Dec 20, 2012, 4:24:56 PM12/20/12
to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups com

Rob, check out Marc Petitjean MP twister. Bar none, it is superior to any twister I've ever seen.  He may have a video on line using it. It's a bit pricy, but it works and it's easily mastered.
Bob

Steve F

Dec 20, 2012, 4:40:20 PM12/20/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Rob Snowhite
Resolutions?  Besides catching more fish?  I want to be more efficient with my time when it comes to tying flies and prepping for outtings.  I feel that the less time I'm sitting at my tying desk or pulling out or putting away gear, the more time my girlfriend will tolerate me with my feet in the Potomac.  Also, I want to learn to build rods.  I've picked up the first blank and have started collecting the materials but finding time will be the key

Casey Peltier

Dec 20, 2012, 4:43:19 PM12/20/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
one recommendation--get one that you can either use the handle or just the head, if possible.  my shortie is much easier to use than the long handled one when my desk is in my lap, but the long one has its certain functions too.

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 16:24:56 -0500
Subject: Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} New Year Resolutions | Dubbing Spinner /Twister
From: bbish...@gmail.com
To: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Charlie Church

Dec 20, 2012, 4:49:01 PM12/20/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Rob Snowhite
Yup, I would just like to keep up the fishing. Travel to more places and fish for more fish.

Finding a way to get back to Alaska without going broke is not a bad goal as well.

Miles

Dec 20, 2012, 8:59:58 PM12/20/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Rob Snowhite
Hey Rob  --

If there's interest, I'd be happy to teach dubbing at the next Beer Tie beginner's table. I can bring my (homemade, bare bones) dubbing brush maker and we can play around with it.

best,

Miles

Paul Kalajainen

Dec 26, 2012, 11:42:24 AM12/26/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Rob Snowhite
2 resolutions for me:
- Catch my first fish on a fly that I tie (I got a tying set for Christmas and have a couple nymphs I'm planning to try out next week)
- Catch at least one new species on the fly

Matt S.

Dec 26, 2012, 9:05:11 PM12/26/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
2013's fishing-related goals include:
- Finally make it to a beer tie
- Ditto for a casting clinic
- catch my first shad in the spring run
- Make it back to Great Smokey Mountains NP and spend more time fishing this time, maybe hike in to fish new remote spots like the Horseshoe
- Fish the surf at island beach state park in NJ
- take the kids out for as many outings as feasible (that's actually #1)