The Washington Post: Washington area braces for cicadas’ return

Joshua Delmonico

Apr 9, 2013, 11:11:52 PM4/9/13
to Tidal Potomac
Time to tie cicada flies!

Washington area braces for cicadas’ return
Seventeen years after a swarm of cicadas hit the D.C. area, one known as Brood II is about to emerge.
http://wapo.st/Z6YVqi

Sent from my iPad
Message has been deleted

Houli

Apr 10, 2013, 9:37:53 AM4/10/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've been working on a couple variations w/ foam and chenille .... here's the first attempt - need to clean it up a bit and see how it fishes.

Anyone have experience fishing cicadas in local rivers, creeks, lakes/ponds?  What to target (smallmouth, largemouth, carp, trout).

Thanks for any/all info!
Cicada1.JPG
cicada2.JPG
cicada3.JPG
cicada4.JPG
cicada5.JPG

Greg Feder

Apr 10, 2013, 9:51:43 AM4/10/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice!  I wonder if you could get some big red eyes on them?  That's one of the things I remember from the last time 'round, although who knows if the fish would notice.

Cheers,

-- Greg

--
http://www.tpfr.org/
---

John L III

Apr 12, 2013, 8:55:19 AM4/12/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Some years ago when we last experienced a brood Fly Fisherman Magazine had a pattern that was simple to tie and very effective. It was made from black closed cell foam cut from a sheet. Made a great splash when landed on the water, floated like a cork and was indestructible. Anything that eats on the top will hit it. Your pattern looks fishy also. good luck.

Daniel Davala

Apr 12, 2013, 9:34:34 AM4/12/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I think Namfos (Mark S.) has that back issue of Fly Fisherman, if I recall it also featured a neoprene wader shootout.  Mark, maybe you can bring it to the next BEER TIE!

Dan Davala

---

namfos

Apr 12, 2013, 10:46:02 AM4/12/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Dan - Alas, I no longer have that issue in my possession. April's Beer Tie marked the depletion of my inventory of back issues of fly fishing magazines. I thank you and TPFR for helping to declutter my mancave.  ;-)

However, if memory serves, this pattern tutorial, http://bit.ly/12R6jK2, seems very close to the one in the magazine.

Greg Feder

Apr 12, 2013, 10:58:00 AM4/12/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that link, Mark!

Cheers,

-- Greg

---

namfos

Apr 13, 2013, 12:09:51 PM4/13/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Greg Feder

No, prob.  I tied up a bunch of those during the arrival of Brood X back in 2004.  Used them at Widewater near Anglers - lost about half to tree branches and the rest I wore out as poppers after the emergence was over.   A simpler pattern to tie would be a Gurgler in black with orange.  I don't think they need eyes, they just have to make a commotion on the surface for the bass and bluegills.

Mark

Dallen Hall

Apr 13, 2013, 12:42:30 PM4/13/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
 x2  Ditto on the Gurgler choice Mark!

---

Morgan Kupfer

Apr 14, 2013, 9:04:12 AM4/14/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Check out our coverage on Tight Lined Tales of a Fly Fisherman. We're doing our best to give you complete coverage of the cicada hatch. Go to www.tight-lined-tales-of-a-fly-fisherman.com and click on the cicada link on the top right hand side. We have a tutorial going live on The Fiberglass Manifesto soon and updates via the blog and twitter. Its going to be huge this year. Todays post features a great dry pattern for the little buggers.

namfos

Apr 14, 2013, 2:26:07 PM4/14/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Shouldn't that be "MEGA dittoes"?   ;-)

John L III

Apr 19, 2013, 10:02:00 PM4/19/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The pattern I mentioned appeared in the July 2004 issue Fly Fisherman. Its called Emery's "backing mondo cicada". Its not available, as I could see, from the magazine's website. It does pop up in a forum in a google search, but not the steps.

Emery's Backing
Mondo Cicada

Hook: #4 Dai-Riki 710.
Underbody: Black 1/8" foam cut into 1/8" strip.
Body: Black 1/4" foam cut into 1/2" strip.
Tail: Orange 1/8" foam cut into a 3/16" strip.
Rib: orange fly-line backing colored with black permanent marker.
Legs: Orange Sili Legs with black barring.
Wing: Orange deer hair and black Krystal Flash.
indicator: White poly yarn.

Steps:
tie in tail and few inches of backing. wrap hook towards eye.
cut length of foam 2 x hook length, attach the bottom half about 1/4" from eye. wrap forward with backing and tie down
tie in wing and indicator over wing, and sili egs.
fold back foam for upper body. Tie down about 1/4" from eye.
use black marker to color sides and back of backing black.

John L III

Apr 24, 2013, 8:09:10 AM4/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I missed a few steps:

Steps:
tie in tail and few inches of backing.
tie in a strip 1/8" wide foam.
wrap thread towards eye and tie off.
wrap foam strip towards eye 2/3 of the way, tie off
cut length of foam 2 x hook length, attach the bottom half about 1/4" from eye. wrap forward with backing and tie down
tie in wing and indicator over wing, and sili egs.
fold back foam for upper body. Tie down about 1/4" from eye.
cut foam tag off just behind the wrap to make a bulbous head

use black marker to color sides and back of backing black.

Steps:
tie in tail and few inches of backing. wrap hook towards eye.
cut length of foam 2 x hook length, attach the bottom half about 1/4" from eye. wrap forward with backing and tie down
tie in wing and indicator over wing, and sili egs.
fold back foam for upper body. Tie down about 1/4" from eye.
use black marker to color sides and back of backing black.

namfos

Apr 27, 2013, 11:10:44 PM4/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

This pattern might work well on a larger hook, some color changes to the rubber legs and the wing: http://bit.ly/ZPawdO

tperkins

Apr 30, 2013, 12:52:32 PM4/30/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
New article at Washington Post about the Cicadas: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/04/30/bugcast-warming-temperatures-with-moderate-to-heavy-cicadas/?hpid=z3.
I started tying Cicada patterns last night in preparation.