v3.0.0

Pat Allan

Jan 1, 2013, 9:04:29 PM1/1/13
to thinkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

It's taken more than a year, but 3.0.0 is now released. I've been using it in a couple of production sites recently, and am very happy with how it's behaving, and I know at least a few others have given it a spin too.

Proper documentation is not yet in place, but I'll try to get something useful out there. In the meantime, the README for the edge branch does cover off all the changes quite well - if you're going to give this release a shot (and I hope you will), read through that README so you know what you're in for.
https://github.com/pat/thinking-sphinx/blob/edge/README.textile

You will need the following:
* Ruby >= 1.9.2 (though it's probably fine on 1.8.7 - I just no longer actively support it).
* ActiveRecord >= 3.1 (via Rails, Sinatra, or whatever you like).
* MySQL >= 5.0 or PostgreSQL >= 8.4
* Sphinx >= 2.0.5

The biggest feature missing at the moment is JRuby support, due Sphinx and JDBC not getting along so well. Apparently future versions of Sphinx (2.1.x) should resolve this. Thinking Sphinx 2.0.x (Rails 3) and 1.4.x (Rails 2) will continue to be supported with bug fixes, but will not be getting any new features.

The following gems support TS v3, but please note the branches in which the appropriate commits reside:
* flying-sphinx (ts3)
* ts-delayed-delta (edge)
* ts-sidekiq-delta (sidekiq branch of https://github.com/pat/ts-resque-delta)

In a week or two, I'll be moving TS branches around. master (2.0.x releases) will become v2, and edge (3.x releases) will become master. So, if you're referring to the repo in your Gemfile, make sure you're locking to a commit reference, or consider this an opportunity to upgrade to v3!

And finally - there's beta support for real-time indices, which means your Sphinx setup is no longer tied to a database, nor has any need for deltas. I would not consider this production-ready yet though - I'm not using it on any sites, though I've given it a quick spin. More details are here:
https://github.com/pat/thinking-sphinx/issues/186#issuecomment-11798831

Thanks all for your support - I hope 2013 is most excellent for you.

--
Pat

Kenn Ejima

Jan 1, 2013, 9:20:20 PM1/1/13
to thinkin...@googlegroups.com
Congrats, pat!

Thanks for your commitment to the project - TS has become an essential part of my projects. I'll try TS3 soon, hopefully, and will send feedback. Kudos!

Pat Allan

Jan 3, 2013, 3:51:11 AM1/3/13
to thinkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kenn - great to hear you're using TS a fair bit. I've appreciated your patches on the project :)

--
Pat

Darren

Feb 6, 2013, 12:39:39 PM2/6/13
to thinkin...@googlegroups.com
Pat this is awesome! Would you please briefly explain the options for real_time indexing? E.g. delta: true, with: real_time Are both needed? Also I'm just assuming the old ts-delayed-delta stuff still works with the new version? Thanks so much :-)

Pat Allan

Feb 6, 2013, 7:02:00 PM2/6/13
to thinkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Darren

There's no need for deltas if you're using real-time indices - they can be updated/added-to on the fly, hence deltas are no longer required.

The comment in the issue thread linked in my earlier post covers most of what's in place for the real-time indices, though it's worth noting that any attributes you define require explicit types - as they're ruby methods, not database columns, so it's impossible for Thinking Sphinx to build the configuration without that type knowledge. That link again, to save people time:
https://github.com/pat/thinking-sphinx/issues/186#issuecomment-11798831

If you're using the traditional SQL-backed indices, then you can use the edge branch of ts-delayed-delta with TS 3 - there's no gem release yet that is TS 3 friendly.
https://github.com/pat/ts-delayed-delta/tree/edge

Cheers

--
Pat