Re: [theano-users] python mlp.py runtime on ubuntu?

Frédéric Bastien

Aug 14, 2012, 2:23:11 PM8/14/12
to theano...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Theano rely on the blas library to parallelize the gemm operation. It
is this operation that is the bottleneck of the mlp. So it is
important to install with the best possible BLAS lib if you want the
best speed.

I would suggest that you reinstall libopenblas-dev first. Then
reinstall python/numpy/scipy. You can install the OS package. We have
an installation page for Ubuntu here:

http://www.deeplearning.net/software/theano/install_ubuntu.html

I would also suggest deleting the theano cache. To do that, execute
"theano-cache clear".

I would not expect to have 32x speed up on a 32 cores computer as I
expect that the blas call is on not big enough matrix size in that
example to have 32x speed up. Also, we didn't parallelised yet
elemwise. So I would not expect more then 8x-10x speed up in the best
case for parallilization. We plan to parallelise the elemwise.

If that don't fix you problem, tell me.

Fred